PDA

View Full Version : Glock Chambering Question

glockfu
01-31-2009, 1:44 PM
I've been looking at a few Glock torture tests on youtube and noticed that when the last shot is fired and the slide locks back, they pop in a new mag and pull back on the slide just a little to release it and chamber the next round. Why do they not use the slide release? Is that not how most people release the slide?

Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBjUDCyDCuI&NR=1 and here's another http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_JuF23qazI

larryb
01-31-2009, 2:34 PM
I have always been taught your fine motor skills go to crap during a gun battle. I have been pulling the slide back for years and let it slam forward rather than using the slide release. I suppose it could also come down to personal preference.

SFFRONTMAN
01-31-2009, 4:09 PM
It is a slide lock, not a slide release. I always rack the slide instead of hitting the slide lock lever. That way you have a positive feel and you know your gun is ready to go.

glockfu
01-31-2009, 4:12 PM
I know it locks the slide but I just figured all these years that it was a slide release since its located right where the thumb goes and has grip groves on it. If it wasn't meant for this purpose then what would it be meant for?

Is there anything wrong with using it to release the slide?

SFFRONTMAN
01-31-2009, 4:15 PM
Some say it causes premature ware but I have yet to see it cause a malfunction personally. Most people use the slide method because it is a sure way to load a round, and in a high stress situation you can kiss fine motor skills goodbye so it would be much harder to hit the slide release than rack the slide with your hand.

larryb
01-31-2009, 4:37 PM
It is a slide lock, not a slide release. I always rack the slide instead of hitting the slide lock lever. That way you have a positive feel and you know your gun is ready to go.

Depends on manufacturer i guess, HK refers to it as a slide release not a slide lock. Not to sure what Glock references it as. The slide release on my HK USP is really nice and easy to use where the glock is more difficult to use. Add in a high stress gun battle thus losing/limiting your fine motor skills its better to grip and release the slide rather than fumbling with the slide release/lock.

SFFRONTMAN
01-31-2009, 4:39 PM
The way I was taught for glocks was that it was always a slide lock. But YMMV

larryb
01-31-2009, 4:44 PM
Just checked the owners manual for my XD and it is referred to as a "slide stop lever" while the owners manual for my HK USP refers to it as a "slide release lever". Either way, i train by releasing the slide utilizing my hand on the slide rather than the slide stop/release lever.

nicoroshi
01-31-2009, 4:52 PM
I own two Glocks and always slingshot the slide into battery on a new mag.
Reason? As mentioned before good training is to avoid fine motor skill actions because you'll lose them in a high stress situation.
Next I have seen wear on the pressed metal slide stop (NOT slide release) on Glocks where people have decided to 'release' the slide into battery using the stop lever. This results in the slide stop not engaging the slide like it should (rounds the top corner of the stop), and the slide may release itself into battery when you slam a new mag in.

In the end it's up to the end user what they would like to do. The slide stop is a cheap part, and easily replaced if it gets worn out.

FYI The slide lock is the part also known as the take down lever, and is located in front of the trigger just under the slide. It locks the slide onto the receiver.

larryb
01-31-2009, 5:18 PM
Rather odd, just checked a glock user manual online and they promote using either method

"4. After the last round has been fired, the slide remains open. Remove the empty magazine from
the weapon by pushing the magazine catch (19). Insert a new magazine and then either push
the slide stop lever (27) downwards (see photo), or pull the slide slightly backwards and allow it
to spring forwards. The weapon is now again secured and ready to fire."

http://guns.wolfcrews.com/glock/pdf/glockmanual.pdf

glockfu
01-31-2009, 10:42 PM
Wow... didnt think this would turn into such an interesting thread.

Looks like Larryb just about answered the question... I never thought about releasing the slide by pulling it. I've been releasing it with the slide lock for so long now it's like second nature, doesnt seem like it takes fine motor skills but I guess I'll try out the other way too.

trinydex
02-04-2009, 2:08 PM
I know it locks the slide but I just figured all these years that it was a slide release since its located right where the thumb goes and has grip groves on it. If it wasn't meant for this purpose then what would it be meant for?

Is there anything wrong with using it to release the slide?

the glock one is so small, you can't really assume it's a slide release. plus if you keep using it it'll wear away at the notch in the slide.

joelukehart
02-04-2009, 9:52 PM
If you slap a fresh mag in hard enough the slide will release on its own. I prefer to pull the slide back as I am a lefty.

bohoki
02-04-2009, 10:55 PM
i prefer the slingshot method as in a stressful situation if i slap in an empty mag (cause my head is full of other things) the "pull back" will be a fail and i will realize i need to install a full magazine

also i have to shift my grip a little to actuate the lever with my shootin hand

of course if the slide stop was not meant to also be a slide release then why have the grooves and external flap

NiteQwill
02-04-2009, 11:10 PM
i prefer the slingshot method as in a stressful situation if i slap in an empty mag (cause my head is full of other things) the "pull back" will be a fail and i will realize i need to install a full magazine

also i have to shift my grip a little to actuate the lever with my shootin hand

of course if the slide stop was not meant to also be a slide release then why have the grooves and external flap

It serves as a reference point when gripping the gun. At least for me (and my Glocks) it does.

I too prefer slingshot method.

Captain Evilstomper
02-04-2009, 11:17 PM
how many threads?
on this exact Q?

nick
02-04-2009, 11:21 PM
I usually use the slide release lever on my Glocks, it's just a habit. I don't see how it makes any difference though, I think it's just a matter of habit for most people.

cryptkeeper
02-04-2009, 11:23 PM
It's a Glock. It's made to go to hell and back, so use it how you use it. :thumbsup:

trinydex
02-05-2009, 7:10 AM
have you ever tried to actuate the slide stop with the mag out? imagine if there was no flap and no grip texture... it'd make clearing the gun for a noob a hopeless effort.

C9X19
02-05-2009, 3:50 PM

It's probably similar to the reason why the front of the trigger guard is textured...for looks. Some people wrap their finger around the front of the trigger guard but that was a technique of the 80s. I digress, as said previously the slide itself is much easier to grasp while under stress.

About slapping a loaded back into the gun with the slide locked back, don't rely on it.

Timberland
02-06-2009, 1:32 PM
STRESS! Pulling a trigger requires way more fine motor skills, besides if you are reloading your thumb just pushed a small button. So what, now your thumb cant push another button? Seriously, do what your comftorable with but dont come up with BS as to why. If you train properly it will not matter if you are stressed, muscel memory will take over.

Sling shot is more likley to cause a stoppage, as in if you ride the slide closed. or if ur sticky and bloody and cant get a good grasp. We are assuming that your hand still works, so why not use your thumb to hid the slide lock/stop/whatever.

Also if you use the competitive grasp of thumbs foward, they should be right next to the slide lock, thus if you are using a proper grip you will be doing much faster reloads. I very much doubt anyone who says using the slide to reload versus the slide lock is faster, unless your a lefty, then I cant help you.

We are primates enjoy using your thumbs, Racoons wish they could.

trinydex
02-06-2009, 2:08 PM
i think the fastest reloads are done with one in the chamber :P

SalfromCal
03-03-2009, 9:20 AM

It doesn't matter......
To release the slide use either the "crosshand" method, grabing the slide between the thumb and index finger or the "slide stop lever" method, pushing down on the slide stop lever until the slide closes.

Page #48 of:
The Complete Glock
REFERENCE GUIDE (Third Edition)
by PTOOMA Production
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dan_K
03-03-2009, 3:21 PM
On some guns, when the slide locks it takes some force to engage the slide release. It's a lot easier to rack the slide back then trying to fumble around with pressing the button down and moving your grip.

Maddog5150
03-03-2009, 4:32 PM
Sling shot is more likley to cause a stoppage, as in if you ride the slide closed. or if ur sticky and bloody and cant get a good grasp. We are assuming that your hand still works, so why not use your thumb to hid the slide lock/stop/whatever.

So jeff cooper was wrong? :confused:

Ravenslair
03-03-2009, 7:56 PM
I prefer to use a large over-the-slide grasp instead of the sling shot. Sling shotting the slide takes a little more fine motor skill than the over-the-slide grasp. Plus the sling shot takes the gun off target for a very brief time. The over-the-slide grasp allows you to keep the gun pointed at the target while punching out with your primary hand. Just my two cents.

You need to do what works best for you. That is the most important thing.

Prowler
03-03-2009, 8:11 PM
I own two Glocks and always slingshot the slide into battery on a new mag.Reason? As mentioned before good training is to avoid fine motor skill actions because you'll lose them in a high stress situation. Next I have seen wear on the pressed metal slide stop (NOT slide release) on Glocks where people have decided to 'release' the slide into battery using the stop lever. This results in the slide stop not engaging the slide like it should (rounds the top corner of the stop), and the slide may release itself into battery when you slam a new mag in.In the end it's up to the end user what they would like to do. The slide stop is a cheap part, and easily replaced if it gets worn out.FYI The slide lock is the part also known as the take down lever, and is located in front of the trigger just under the slide. It locks the slide onto the receiver.

There's more energy used in bringing the slide into battery when this method is used and it would be statistically more reliable, even though both methods work. Sometimes you notice that you're using your thumbs to press the slide forward, kind of like using a forward assist on an AR.

tonelar
03-08-2009, 3:43 PM
whatever method you use, it's not a bad idea to be proficient with a secondary way.

as a side note some manufacyurers recommend only using the release lever (i.e. Kahr instruction manual).

I thought this was a picture thread... why's it in the gallery section?