PDA

View Full Version : value difference of new AR vs just a couple rounds fired?

TZL
01-31-2009, 12:41 PM
Any real difference in selling an AR that is 100% new vs a few rounds fired, say 50?

I just hit double digit number of ARs and the safe are filled to the brim with complete ARs and stripped lowers....

I have a couple of similar ARs that I might sell to fund other projects, just wondering if I should test fire them to make sure they are working correctly before I sell them, or just sell them new and unfired

what do you think calgunners?

Fate
01-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Not sure it makes that much of a difference. Since both are "previously owned" I wouldn't pay more than 80% of retail for either. Now if we're talking straight from factory vs a build then that's different.

pacrimguru
01-31-2009, 12:55 PM
personally, i don't care if its been fired before as long as it isn't with crap ammo. don't forget that the factory test fires the uppers anyway.

Prowler
01-31-2009, 12:58 PM
I don't think there's much of a difference in value unless it has a high round count. If you're into collectable firearms, the value would be higher if it's never been fired. Right now, the retail value or used value is perceived to be higher than the pre-Obama days due to scarcity of the items.

TZL
01-31-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm talking about a custom build from scratch....i've dry fired with snap caps, so i'm pretty sure it works fine, but never tested it with real rounds to check full extraction

I'll probably put a bull barreled "varmint" style AR and a std 16" M4 style one in the near future....don't need two of each style...

Not sure it makes that much of a difference. Since both are "previously owned" I wouldn't pay more than 80% of retail for either. Now if we're talking straight from factory vs a build then that's different.

CSACANNONEER
01-31-2009, 1:09 PM
Less than 5000 rounds and not abused should bring 75%-80% of MSRP or more in today's market. I always find it funny that so many people here are so worried about round counts on guns that they are buying to shoot. Seriously, barrel wear and throat erosion depend on the caliber so, if I'm looking at a 22-250 with 3K through it, I know it'll be time for a new barrel soon but, I've seen some poeple shy away from a .22lr because it is reported to have 1500 rounds down the pipe. In my opinion, 1500 rounds of .22lr is just breaking it in. Bottom line, pre-owned is pre-owned but, if you are buying a rifle to shoot, what's the difference between someone having shot zero rounds through it or 500 rounds of .223/5.56? NOTHING!