PDA

View Full Version : upper availability for LEs?

yoda888
01-31-2009, 11:07 AM
Question, if you're a LEO, do you move to the front of the line for ordering uppers or complete rifles?

Just curious..

thanks!

smokingloon
01-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Some companies give priority to military and leo. Contact the company and find out.

Toten Kopf
01-31-2009, 11:14 AM
If any "Get Ahead" is available, military has priority, you just have to send a copy of your ID card and you move up, LE's are mostly treated like everyone else.

I will add, that by military, I mean military. Active, Guard, Reserves (even retired) can move up with some companies.

yoda888
01-31-2009, 11:17 AM
I would assume that the military is first in line.

I guess I'm wondering if LEOs have to wait the 20+ weeks like everyone else, or they are serviced much quicker.

Thanks!

strangerdude
01-31-2009, 11:22 AM
I won't mind If the military gets to cut in line but LEO's should wait, they already have their department issued guns anyways.

yoda888
01-31-2009, 11:33 AM
I can state for fact that not all depts issue guns to their LEOs. The smaller depts don't have the financial resources and the officers are asked to purchase them on their own. (they do get a write off though!)

red2sniper
01-31-2009, 11:36 AM
What are you looking for and can you get a dept. letter? I know two places right now that have the Colt LE6920 in stock

yoda888
01-31-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm just curious that's all. But I am looking for a complete upper! If anyone has one, let me know!

So what happens if you're a LEO and you have the Colt LE model and you retire? Do you have to sell the weapon, or do you carry a certificate around stating that you were former LEO?

CSACANNONEER
01-31-2009, 11:53 AM
LEAs might get priority but, very few companies will give LEOs a bump for personal weapons.

technique
01-31-2009, 2:04 PM
LEAs might get priority but, very few companies will give LEOs a bump for personal weapons.

and thats the way it should be.

LHC30
01-31-2009, 3:07 PM
I'm just curious that's all. But I am looking for a complete upper! If anyone has one, let me know!

So what happens if you're a LEO and you have the Colt LE model and you retire? Do you have to sell the weapon, or do you carry a certificate around stating that you were former LEO?

You need to keep a copy of the letter authorizing you to have such listed weapon in the first place. Once you are permitted to own it, you can keep it. Kinda like registering them back in 94 (or when ever the CA bans came out).

hawk1
01-31-2009, 3:19 PM
Question, if you're a LEO, do you move to the front of the line for ordering uppers or complete rifles?

Just curious..

thanks!

Oh, I can see you're going to be real popular here...;)

pcesar
01-31-2009, 3:28 PM
I won't mind If the military gets to cut in line but LEO's should wait, they already have their department issued guns anyways.

And the military does not issue weapons? Neither military or LEO need to cut in line for buying an upper. LEO's carry guns while on duty. Many military personel do not. Why should militay cut in line while LEO's should not?

Max-the-Silent
01-31-2009, 3:29 PM

Just curious..

thanks!

If it's an agency making a major purchase (and usually it's rifles, not uppers) they may indeed take priority, but if it's just a little 'ol LEO he's no different than anybody else.

bwiese
01-31-2009, 3:45 PM
You need to keep a copy of the letter authorizing you to have such listed weapon in the first place. Once you are permitted to own it, you can keep it. Kinda like registering them back in 94 (or when ever the CA bans came out).

NO.

The dept letter authorizing you to have the rifle is sent to DOJ to get an AW registration.

Once you receive AW registration from DOJ, the AW is yours - even after retirement.

Merely possessing a dept. approval letter without DOJ registration of AW and possessing the gun in AW form is illegal.
The charge is 12280, possession of an unregistered AW.

Jwood562
01-31-2009, 7:34 PM
If you are a LEO find a company that only sells to LEOs. there are a few out there and they do have somethings in stock. But with most other companies will not let you get "in front of the line"

as far as retiring with a registered AW... with my agency if you used your status as a LEO to get a AW then when you retire or get fired or quit you have to give the gun to the department or sell it to another LEO