PDA

View Full Version : When you buy a complete AR rifle, are the uppers and lowers serialized and matching?

supermario
01-31-2009, 10:46 AM
Hey guys, i see alotta people talking about matching serial #'s on rifles?When you buy a complete rifle Ar15, are the uppers and lowers serialized and matching? Do Ar15 uppers have serial #'s? Or is the serial #'s relevant to only parts kits and old rifles? Sorry but i am confused and wondering if my LMT has serial #' on the upper and lower! Becus then you would have matching serial numbers only if you bought the entire rifle and not part by part right?

missiontrails
01-31-2009, 10:48 AM
There are no serials on uppers.

Jim_KT
01-31-2009, 10:48 AM
Hey guys, i see alotta people talking about matching serial #'s on rifles?When you buy a complete rifle Ar15, are the uppers and lowers serialized and matching? Do Ar15 uppers have serial #'s? Or is the serial #'s relevant to only parts kits and old rifles? Sorry but i am confused and wondering if my LMT has serial #' on the upper and lower! Becus then you would have matching serial numbers only if you bought the entire rifle and not part by part right?

I have not met an AR-type rifle that had "matching" numbers (serial numbers on lower AND upper). The lower should most definitely have a serial number if it was produced by a manufacturer.

AlliedArmory
01-31-2009, 11:03 AM
no serial number on uppers

supermario
01-31-2009, 12:20 PM
oh ok! so what are they talking abut when i see people mention that in their ads! Are they talking about AK kits or C&R rifles?? thanxs jus confused a bit!

morphius
01-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Don't give politicians any new ideas.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-31-2009, 12:29 PM
oh ok! so what are they talking abut when i see people mention that in their ads! Are they talking about AK kits or C&R rifles?? thanxs jus confused a bit!

Many foreign military surplus firearms have serial numbers on other parts in addition to the receiver. People will pay a premium if those numbers match the receiver since it is more likely that the firearm is in "original" condition.

doughboy334
01-31-2009, 12:38 PM
no serials on uppers thankfully. You can have it ordered and sent to your home with no problems at all! (well except for the fact that most uppers are in demand right now and are sold out)

technique
01-31-2009, 1:13 PM
J&J armory has 308 rifle coming out. The upper and lower (IIRC) are machined from the same block....they are mated and serialized together, upper and lower to insure the customer the best fit possible. I don't even think you can buy the parts separately.

freakshow10mm
01-31-2009, 1:18 PM
Some manufacturers serialize both the upper and lower in a matched set.

BillyGoatMachine
01-31-2009, 2:50 PM
Doesn't LWRC complete rifles(M6A2) have the serial# on the upper as well?

phsieh10
01-31-2009, 2:55 PM
LWRC does put a serial number on their uppers. I know because mine has a serial number. I don't have an LWRC lower, so I can't confirm if their numbers are matching.

civilsnake
01-31-2009, 2:59 PM
Matching numbers is a military C&R rifle game. A lot of armories would put their own numbers on various parts when final assembly occurred. An SKS typically has a numbered receiver, bolt, stock, magazine and fire control group. If they all match it means they're all original, and slightly more valuable.