PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Handguns. Advise for a friend of mine.

ontmark
01-31-2009, 8:34 AM
A friend of mine had a residential burglary and two handguns were stolen. They were both registered in his name. Police came out and took a report. He had all the information on them and gave it to LEO. He asked if he needed to file a report with DOJ Firearms Division regarding them stolen. The LEO said they will be logged in as stolen by PD, and nothing else is needed on his part. He is still wondering what if PD logs them in and makes an error in serial numbers. Should he also report them himself and how?

Shane916
01-31-2009, 10:25 AM
A friend of mine had a residential burglary and two handguns were stolen. They were both registered in his name. Police came out and took a report. He had all the information on them and gave it to LEO. He asked if he needed to file a report with DOJ Firearms Division regarding them stolen. The LEO said they will be logged in as stolen by PD, and nothing else is needed on his part. He is still wondering what if PD logs them in and makes an error in serial numbers. Should he also report them himself and how?

He's fine.

762cavalier
01-31-2009, 11:14 AM
No need for him to contact DOJ. He did the right thing reporting it to the PD and he is clear.

sfpcservice
01-31-2009, 11:15 AM
If it were me, I would want a copy of the local PD's report. That way should something happen, you can produce documents showing you took appropriate action at the time of theft.

hawk1
01-31-2009, 1:28 PM
Can't hurt anything to call DOJ as well. That way you know for sure, right?

If they turn up at a pawn or dealer the serial numbers will be tagged as stolen. You just might get your property back.

pepsi2451
01-31-2009, 3:24 PM
Years ago my dad had a handgun stolen from our house. He reported it stolen to the sheriffs office I believe. A couple weeks later he gets a call wanting to know why this guy they stopped had a gun registered to my dad. For some reason it didn't come up stolen when they ran it, just registered to my dad. It was all straightened out eventually. The gun was the only thing that linked the guy to us, thanks to it we got some of our other stuff back too. I don't see what it would hurt for your friend to report it to the DOJ himself.

TheBundo
01-31-2009, 4:54 PM
Is the law requiring reporting in effect now?

markw
01-31-2009, 6:47 PM
Is the law requiring reporting in effect now?

Doesn't really matter, reporting it is just CYA. You'd think they wouldn't need a law requiring that. Then again, this is the PRK where you have to have a "work permit" for your kids to get a job. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/smilies/confused.gif?

EZ G
01-31-2009, 10:13 PM
IMO reporting it to the police and getting a copy of the report is absolutely necessary. Had a similar situation with a friend who really regretted not getting and keeping a copy of the report. Nothing worse than a call from the PTB and not having a copy of the report to back up your claim. It all worked out ok in the end but I would say it is well worth the effort, especially since the report has already been made.

ontmark
02-02-2009, 7:01 PM
Thanks All
Yes he will get the PD report and retain.
Responding LEO visually verified it was forced entry into the pistol lock box.

DDT
02-02-2009, 8:59 PM
Might just call up DOJ in a few weeks and confirm the police transmitted the serial numbers properly. Then, if you wanted to be extra cautious do an AFS request (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/AFSPrivateCitizen.pdf) and get a listing of every gun registered to him.

rayra
02-02-2009, 9:29 PM
Thanks All

Should make sure that is on the report, and photodocument it if it is still available.
The report is sufficient.

If he every leaves the state he might consider filing a 'No Longer in Possession' when he goes, and consider it lost. Would be really long odds that if it were recovered that the effort would be made to hunt him down out of state. At least then he is legally severed from it.

ontmark
03-01-2009, 4:32 PM
Yes he did fill out a No Longer In Possession Form for each one and marked as stolen. He attached a copy of the police report with it and sent it DOJ.

Swiss
03-01-2009, 4:40 PM
So the lock box was forced open and left behind? I'm interested in knowing more about the type of box, how they were able to get into it, and why they didn't just swipe the whole box?

Thanks All

tyrist
03-01-2009, 5:06 PM
When we take a stolen handgun report we don't just take the info from you and then log that in....You have to fill out a another form and attach the AFS info to it. There won't be a mistake.

ontmark
03-01-2009, 5:15 PM
When we take a stolen handgun report we don't just take the info from you and then log that in....You have to fill out a another form and attach the AFS info to it. There won't be a mistake.

Thanks for your info!
I will share this with him.

BillCA
03-01-2009, 5:16 PM
+1

I had over 8 handguns stolen in 2004 and (shame on me) I only had the serial numbers of about 4 of them. Before someone told me about the ability to get the numbers from the DOJ (the cops didn't) I had officers show up at my house asking if I owned a certain gun. It was one of the guns for which I didn't have the serial number. Then I was asked to contact another PD in the east bay who had seized the gun during a car-stop. I eventually got the gun back.

If your friend has the police report, or even the case-number, he should be fine.

hawk1
03-01-2009, 6:30 PM
Yes he did fill out a No Longer In Possession Form for each one and marked as stolen. He attached a copy of the police report with it and sent it DOJ.

My understanding from reading another theard here at Calguns is that DOJ is not accepting the "no longer in possession form". Thats why it was pulled from the DOJ website.

If he did fill one out, I would question why he did. I understand they are stolen, the point is though, he still 'owns' the handguns. Wouldn't that form release them (whichever department that recovers them) from ever having to return them to him?