PDA

View Full Version : BUIS - A.R.M.S. vs Troy

Zervaman
01-31-2009, 8:16 AM
Hey calgunners, I'm Looking for a flip up BUIS. I've heard good stuff about the ARMS #40 and Troy rear battle sights.

I figure they're both gtg, just wondering if anyone has a preference for one over the other.

mark2203
01-31-2009, 8:20 AM
I have a Troy BUIS and it works great at even a 100 yards out. Not to dispairage ARMS, but the TROY seems to be the most widely recommeded BUIS.

podobo
01-31-2009, 8:43 AM
I have the Troy and find them to be quite good, granted I've only used them out to 100 yards. My only complaint is with the front sight, it was so stiff with adjustments that I had to resort to using 2 tools to adjust. Front sight adjustment tools from 3 companies did not push down the retaining pin far enough to allow it to turn the post so I had to use a small punch in conjunction with the adjustment tool. Being able to adjust it with a bullet tip as per their website was quite amusing

xxINKxx
01-31-2009, 8:58 AM
love my ARMS #40, very nice, easy to adjust

Trendkill
01-31-2009, 9:02 AM
Got the A.R.M.S. 40L...love it.

a1fabweld
01-31-2009, 9:03 AM
I have both & I like them both. Quality is great either way.

pacrimguru
01-31-2009, 9:14 AM
the arms 40 and 40L are spring loaded and has a lever that needs to be pulled out of the way in order to flip the sight up, the troy one doesn't and is just a simple flip up.

to flip the arms down, you need to hold that lever and make sure it catches the sight - which can be another unnecessary step when compared to the troy. with the troy, you flip it down by pressing a button on the side and then flip it down. i have and like them both. but i'd have to say that the troys are easier to deploy and retract.

jeffyboy
01-31-2009, 9:58 AM
I have both and have no complaints. There are more steps to the ARMS as compared to the TROY but in the end they are both great quality BUIS...you can't go wrong either way

Paul
01-31-2009, 10:10 AM
Which ever one doesn't flip up.

Murphy's law of combat says that while you're busy flipping your flip-up sight the other guy isn't and is busy delivering ammo into his target. The other nice thing about co-witness sights is that they cross check each other.

AlliedArmory
01-31-2009, 10:12 AM
i got the arms 40l-sp and love it

CHS
01-31-2009, 10:29 AM
I've used and owned both (rear's).

In my opinion, while the troy is a little more expensive, it's also a better design.

The ARMS has about twice as many parts as it needs, and that weird spring-loaded lever to hold it shut which makes using the sight difficult.

The Troy sits lower and more out of the way than any other sight out there. It's got as few parts as necessary, it doesn't move around nearly as much as the ARMS when deployed, and it has a much better 1-piece reticule design. When you want to deploy the Troy, you just flip it up and you're done.

Go with the Troy. It's just plain better.

Full Clip
01-31-2009, 11:11 AM
The ARMS fit just under my scope. The Troy did not. Decision made, and I don't regret it at all, but both are great.

maxicon
01-31-2009, 1:20 PM
The ARMS 40 is one of the higher BUIS out there, and won't fit under most scope/mount combos. The ARMS 40L will fit under some of the higher mounts, but is a tight/no fit under a lot of popular mounts (like LaRue), depending on the scope.

The Troy is one of the lower BUIS, and fits under most scope/mount combos. There are lower BUIS available, some of which are good, and some (like the KAC 300/600) are more specialized.

Another difference is which aperture is deployed when you flip up, which some people care about. The ARMS 40 and Troy deploy the large aperture, while the ARMS 40L deploys the small one. Also, the Troy is same plane, while the 40L comes in either version. Finally, the Troy windage adjustment is better shielded than the ARMS, so is harder to adjust, but also less likely to get knocked out of adjustment.

It's a trade-off. For people who use magnified optics, the Troy is a better bet, as there's a lot more flexibility in choosing mounts.

Here are some popular BUIS heights:

ARMS 40 - 0.95" folded (mine is 1.00" even)
YHM-9680 - 0.84" folded (mine is 0.85")
Matech - 0.75" folded
MI ERS - 0.75" folded
GG&G MAD - 0.625" folded
ARMS 40L - 0.61" folded
Troy - 0.460" folded
MI MCTAR-SPLP - .438" folded
YHM QDS - 0.435" folded
KAC 300m - 0.315" folded

Zervaman
01-31-2009, 2:25 PM
Whoa, good info all around! Appreciate it!

01-31-2009, 2:40 PM
I own both, but I like the Troy better. They both work great and reliable. Personally, I just think the Troy looks better.

ocg 03
01-31-2009, 2:42 PM
I just sighted in my Troy BUIS yesterday and was consistently hitting metal plates at 200 yards. They worked AWESOME!!

cleanguy46
01-31-2009, 2:51 PM
Your gonna get alot of ARMS BUIS users input due to alot of Stag 2HT uppers out there that come with the ARMS BUIS. Not a bad sight and I have used one before however when I recieved my Noveske LoPro Recce upper it had a Troy BUIS on it and it is in my opinion a better sight.
Troy's a little more expensive but I think a better sight overall. You cant really go wrong with either so choose what will work for you.

01-31-2009, 4:43 PM
I just sighted in my Troy BUIS yesterday and was consistently hitting metal plates at 200 yards. They worked AWESOME!!

Doesn't matter what sight you get. You still have to have somone behind to make work.;)

You can buy the "Greatest" sight known to man, but if you suck at shooting... Well you still suck and wasted money on the "Greatest" sights when you probably should have bought some ammo to practice with.

Omega13device
01-31-2009, 5:07 PM
If all you're using them for is going to the range, get whatever you like. It doesn't really matter. I have both Troy and ARMS and they're fine.

For most of us this will never matter but...I have seen reports from .mil types that like the ARMS better because the spring-loaded action makes it easier to deploy. Plus if something bumps against it and pushes it down, it automatically pops back up into position. BUIS without springs will either break or have to be manually redeployed if they are bumped hard.

Mute
01-31-2009, 5:23 PM
IMO the Troy is better built.