PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With New AR-15

r2d3henry
01-31-2009, 12:04 AM
Okay, so this is going to be a bit long and a little elementary. I just purchased a LAR grizzly AR-15 lower stripped and need help with purchasing the rest of the parts to assemble the gun. Also, since most of the local gun shops are out of just about everything I will have to purchase this stuff on the web. So...

1. What is the difference between commercial diameter and military diameter in terms of the collapsible stock. I can't tell if my LAR is comm or mil size so i'm wondering if it really matters.
2. Can I purchase a lower parts kit from a website that sells to all states or does it specifically have to be a "Cal" lower part kit. For example midwayusa.com? (Sorrry for website name drop, just an example)
3. I know that the barrel has to be 16 inches but I was wondering if anyone has purchased a 14.5 inch barrel and attached a muzzle flash that is more than 2.5 inches long.
4. Just to make sure I should buy a 5.56 upper assembly so I can use both 223 and 5.56 rounds right? Just want to make sure.
5. I was looking at Upper Assemblies too and i'm wondering what the difference is between the pre-ban and post-ban upper assembly.

Thanks for all your help. If you have any other suggestions please write them in too. I try to absorb myself with information when I am working on something.

gsxr600booya
01-31-2009, 1:23 AM
2. yes purchase it from anywhere
3.yes people have down that. its quite common it just needs to be permanently attached aka pinned
4.yes in 5.56 chamber you can shoot 5.56 or 223 in 223 chamber you can only fire 223
5.pre ban has all the evil features (flash hider,bayonet lug, etc) post ban is usually featureless, if your gonna get a mmg for your ar do a post ban it saves you from having to modify it. nm just read you have a collapsable stock, make sure you bullet button it before attaching upper to keep it legal.

DBoz
01-31-2009, 1:45 AM
When it comes to the buffer tube, there is a slight difference between the diameter of a mil-spec tube and a non mil-spec. I don't think this affects where it screws into the lower, it does however determine which stocks will go on the tube. I believe the non mil-spec tubes are slightly larger than the mil-spec, so if you have a stock that was made for a mil-spec tube like the VLTOR or Magpul stocks, then they will not fit. I would go with the mil-spec tube to increase your options.

50CalAL
01-31-2009, 7:01 AM
When it comes to the buffer tube, there is a slight difference between the diameter of a mil-spec tube and a non mil-spec. I don't think this affects where it screws into the lower, it does however determine which stocks will go on the tube. I believe the non mil-spec tubes are slightly larger than the mil-spec, so if you have a stock that was made for a mil-spec tube like the VLTOR or Magpul stocks, then they will not fit. I would go with the mil-spec tube to increase your options.

+1 Commercial vs. mil-spec only affects which type of stock you can use for the diameter tube you buy.

2. Any LPK will work.
4. Go with a 5.56 so you can shoot both.
5. Since you're in Cali make sure you have a bullet button then you can have the flash hider, pistol grip, collapsable stock, etc.

Turbinator
01-31-2009, 2:02 PM
To avoid the milspec vs commercial tube dilemma, I suggest you try to buy your tube and stock as a set. Every single collapsible stock I've ever bought was always as a kit - tube + buttstock. I've never had a problem doing it this way.

Welcome aboard!

Turby

r2d3henry
02-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Thank you so much for helping my out. This will definetely get me on the right track.