PDA

View Full Version : Shooting in the rain.

fusionstar
01-30-2009, 2:25 PM
I was out shooting in the rain and thought to myself. Wouldn't the rain deflect a 22 bullet at 3000 FPS+?

Then I started to think about the scene in Saving Private Ryan. Is a 400 yard shot possible in the rain without luck? Wouldn't the bullet eventually hit a raindrop and be deflected enough to make a difference?

I need a physics professor here.

Edit: I didnt notice much difference at 50 yards with .223 when dry vs raining. Didnt want to run far in the rain,..

CHS
01-30-2009, 2:45 PM
The last time I shot in the rain I was having too much fun watching the little laser-like steam trails the bullets were leaving to care anything about accuracy :)

damon1272
01-30-2009, 2:46 PM
I have not noticed a difference shooting in the range out to 250 yards. The sizzle the bullet makes through the air is really cool though.:D

shooting4life
01-30-2009, 3:07 PM
As long as the bullet stays supersonic the rain will not affect it. The pressure wave that moves in front of the bullet deflects or evaporates (I'm not sure which) all of the rain drops it comes in contact with.

Prc329
01-30-2009, 3:09 PM
The last time I shot in the rain I was having too much fun watching the little laser-like steam trails the bullets were leaving to care anything about accuracy :)

I shot in the rain once and was thinking that very thing.

fusionstar
01-30-2009, 3:28 PM

damn really? I didnt notice anything at 50 yards. Gosh darn that would of been fun.

As long as the bullet stays supersonic the rain will not affect it. The pressure wave that moves in front of the bullet deflects or evaporates (I'm not sure which) all of the rain drops it comes in contact with.

If the rain is pushed by the pressure wave, there is a equal and opposite reaction going back towards the bullet wouldn't there?

Im sitting here scratching my head.

randy
01-30-2009, 3:37 PM
Less time on the bong and more time at the range

asheron2
01-30-2009, 5:25 PM
Linear Impulse Eqn.
MV1+I=MV2

I=F(t2-t1)

M=mass
V=velocity
I=impulse
t=time

Since the time is so small, the impulse becomes very very small so it can be neglected.

So, MV1=MV2

In a "perfect world":D

CHS
01-30-2009, 5:32 PM
Linear Impulse Eqn.
MV1+I=MV2

I=F(t2-t1)

M=mass
V=velocity
I=impulse
t=time

Pshh.. I was gonna say that... :whistling:

Bad Voodoo
01-30-2009, 5:34 PM
I was out shooting in the rain...

Rain? In California? Do tell!

Spyder
01-30-2009, 5:51 PM
Hahaha...yea, its been ridiculously dry here too!

Anyone ever shoot the .204 Ruger in super high humidity, early in the morning? Way cool!

ar15barrels
01-30-2009, 5:53 PM
It rained on our 22 rimfire sniper match a few months ago and the rain really moved the bullets around.
Talking about flyers with a 2-3 moa of shift from the ret of the group.
We can only assume that the fliers hit a raindrop early-on in flight.

bobbyblank
01-30-2009, 5:53 PM
Rain? In California? Do tell!

No @#$%, i havent seen rain since who knows when! lol. Last time i took my jet skis to camp far west, it was nothing more then a bird bath!

AlexBreya
01-30-2009, 5:57 PM
No @#$%, i havent seen rain since who knows when! lol. Last time i took my jet skis to camp far west, it was nothing more then a bird bath!

where do you guys live? its been raining in the bay area a few times over the last week

Codelphious
01-30-2009, 6:15 PM
Rain will affect a bullet. The more rain, the more the effect.

Rain essentially increases the density of the air, thus slowing it down. Slow bullets drop shorter.

Ahhnother8
01-30-2009, 6:17 PM
We shoot in the rain at times, and with centerfire it has NO effect on the flight of the bullet, at least out to 1000 yards. Beyond that, don't know. It is just hard to keep the ammo dry enough to not blow primers. It only takes a drop or two of water to do that. :(

Bad Voodoo
01-30-2009, 6:25 PM
where do you guys live? its been raining in the bay area a few times over the last week

Ummm, where exactly in the Bay Area? :laugh:

bobbyblank
01-30-2009, 6:28 PM

Im in south sac. We dont get all the rain you guys get. Most of it dies out coming into the valley. I have only gotten rain 2-4 days in the last few months.

fusionstar
01-30-2009, 10:28 PM
I was out up by eldorado NF on some ranch land that my friend's boss owned.. There was Light snowing early and then light rain and all of a sudden it started pouring rain for about 5 minutes and went away. We were expecting light snow or showers and had set up the http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Pod/02/50/89/p025089hz05b.jpg

It rained on our 22 rimfire sniper match a few months ago and the rain really moved the bullets around.
Talking about flyers with a 2-3 moa of shift from the ret of the group.
We can only assume that the fliers hit a raindrop early-on in flight.

How far were you guys shooting?

ar15barrels
01-31-2009, 7:17 AM
How far were you guys shooting?

I think we were at 50yds at the time.
We shoot from 25 to 200 though.

Fate
01-31-2009, 8:47 AM
It is just hard to keep the ammo dry enough to not blow primers. It only takes a drop or two of water to do that. :(Wha?? :confused:

rtlltj
01-31-2009, 8:57 AM
Vapor Trails are awesome.

ar15barrels
01-31-2009, 9:09 AM
Wha?? :confused:

Go get your ammo wet and go shoot it. :thumbsup:
Then you will understand.

GoingPro
01-31-2009, 12:32 PM

you guys are like scientists

Turbinator
01-31-2009, 2:17 PM
Go get your ammo wet and go shoot it. :thumbsup:
Then you will understand.

For those of us who don't want to play Navy SEAL and rise out of the local YMCA swimming pool with a mag full of ammo to try it out, could you regale us with what the issue is and how the problem works?

Thanks.. :)
Turby

What Just Happened?
01-31-2009, 2:29 PM
you guys are like scientists

Some of us have some science background. Actually, I've found a higher incidence of people who have gotten a science degree than in other random groups I've been a part of.

could you regale us with what the issue is and how the problem works?

Water in barrel is an obstruction. Obstructions cause back pressure to bullet. Pressure is passed along to combustion gases which in turn increase the pressure upon the brass case. Flattened primers are a sign of over-pressure.

savage1
01-31-2009, 6:33 PM
Hahaha...yea, its been ridiculously dry here too!

Anyone ever shoot the .204 Ruger in super high humidity, early in the morning? Way cool!

The first time I shot my .204 I got some wicked vapor trails. You could watch them all the way to the target.

Ahhnother8
01-31-2009, 8:55 PM
Drops of water on the brass turn to steam. Lots of unwanted pressure, primer leaves brass, bolt is hard to lift, etc...

pb_m3
02-16-2009, 5:26 PM
I was shooting groups earlier today in the rain. Only difference I could tell was that they were cold and therefore slightly slower than usual.

Trails were cool too.

what2be
02-16-2009, 5:34 PM
For those of us who don't want to play Navy SEAL and rise out of the local YMCA swimming pool with a mag full of ammo to try it out, could you regale us with what the issue is and how the problem works?

Thanks.. :)
Turby

Well, heres a example..

Years ago, riding out in the woods on my quad, raining/snowing on and off pretty hard. Had the ruger 10/22 in the gun rack on the front of the quad (gun upside down) with a full 10 round mag in it.

Stopped after about 3 or 4 hours, went to shoot, first shot (that was in the chamber) , click, cycled the action, click, cycled again, click, cycled again (yeah, i know, im a slow learner) click, took out mag, emptied it, took a plastic box out of my jacket pocket with dry ammo, and loaded up and shot. left the mag full, rode around about a hour in light rain/snow. put gun in tent, shot the next day and got the same click, click, click.

So, moral of story, at least with rimfires, it doesent take much to make em worthless in the rain and wet.
Ive never had a issue with center fires, but they seem to be much more resilent to water than a rimfire.

Army GI
02-16-2009, 5:41 PM
Some of us have some science background. Actually, I've found a higher incidence of people who have gotten a science degree than in other random groups I've been a part of.

It's the physics of ballistics I bet;)

That, or the engineering of the weapon itself. What engineer wouldn't get excited by looking at the blueprints of a semi automatic rifle:thumbsup: