PDA

View Full Version : Monterey County FFL question

1lowcad
01-30-2009, 2:00 PM
New to the forum, and hoping to find info on locating an FFL in my area that would transfer a Califonia legal AK style gun in the Monterey, Salinas area, San Jose.
Thanks for any help.
This site has been a plethora of knolledge

Smoothiesd
01-30-2009, 3:35 PM
There is no one in the Salinas area that I know of. You are going to have to drive up to San Jose Gun Exchange, Rogers Relics or RMB ent.

surfinguru
01-30-2009, 5:40 PM
Couple of thoughts right off the top of my head:
The Outdoor World (yeah, they're an FFL, at least the one on 41st Ave in Santa Cruz is)
Markley's

if those guys can't help you out, maybe try The Gun Vault up in Mountain View, they're OLL friendly, so they might be able to help out. Save some gas and call around first though.

C.G.
01-30-2009, 5:58 PM
Couple of thoughts right off the top of my head:
The Outdoor World (yeah, they're an FFL, at least the one on 41st Ave in Santa Cruz is)
Markley's

if those guys can't help you out, maybe try The Gun Vault up in Mountain View, they're OLL friendly, so they might be able to help out. Save some gas and call around first though.

Outdoor world (Monterey) most likely won't do an AK, they won't do an OLL. Markley's is the only choice.

insin
01-30-2009, 9:45 PM
Is Markley's OLL friendly? I have been there a few times, never asked though. Its a shame Monterey county residents have to drive all the way to San Jose for OLL transfers.

SC_Chewy
01-31-2009, 7:26 AM
Is Markley's OLL friendly? I have been there a few times, never asked though. Its a shame Monterey county residents have to drive all the way to San Jose for OLL transfers.

Neither Markleys or outdoor world will do "ak style" rifles including saigas. I got the last saiga outdoor world would do and then the owner freaked out for whatever reason and no go. The funny thing about markleys is they had a upper in the case and a high end trigger but ask them about "OLL" stuff and it's like your talking chinese........blank stare. I go there like once a month to shoot pistols and look around, changed up the store and added a lot of apparel and gear but I think cause the sheriffs practice there they don't handle what they deem to be questionable......I asked them if they had 223 mags for ar style rifle and the guy totally blew me off, shaking his head and turning his back, "we don't handle those type of things"...Capitola outdoor world will do oll's ( I think it's like $90.00 to do a transfer though) but they "informed" me that ak style rifles are illegal. When asked what some one should do with one they got FROM THEIR STORE , I was told I could pin the mag or turn it into the police...........sigh.............you get the picture. The gun exchange is your best bet and the new guys there have really turned it around. You would be hyped to go in there and check out just how much ar related stuff they got. Make a day of it, got a old lady tell her you'll drop her off at the big mall and scoop her up after you do your thing.......

1lowcad
01-31-2009, 8:19 AM
Thanks, Good info, I called a few of the FFLs around here, and they practically hung up on me. I think I'll stop off by Marley’s, on my way to the Gun Exchange, and check out all what they have. Hour drive not bad, I was just hoping that I wouldn’t have to drive to Sac.
Thanks again.

freonr22
01-31-2009, 8:29 AM
you might try roger's relics, overall they are supernice people

lordvader27
01-31-2009, 9:05 PM
did you try hunters supply?

Dollar
02-01-2009, 8:09 AM
when I lived in salinas, they had a gunshop in the old Salinas area. I forgot what it was called, but I just remember a worker overcharging for an FFL. I guess he knew hes the only one in that city. But 'maybe' you can try that one.

C.G.
02-01-2009, 11:35 AM
when I lived in salinas, they had a gunshop in the old Salinas area. I forgot what it was called, but I just remember a worker overcharging for an FFL. I guess he knew hes the only one in that city. But 'maybe' you can try that one.

Trigger Hill, closed right now. The owner is under indictment for embezzlement. It seems that he sold a lot of guns on consignment, but did not pay the sellers.

Norcalkid
02-02-2009, 6:38 AM
I agree that it sucks to drive to San Jose. You will have to do it twice. But you will not regret it. I recently (about 4 months) got a cal legal AK shipped. I love it and shoot it way more than my AR.

Hey at least there are 4 lanes on 101 now.

mrboma
02-02-2009, 7:53 AM
Neither Markleys or outdoor world will do "ak style" rifles including saigas. I got the last saiga outdoor world would do and then the owner freaked out for whatever reason and no go. The funny thing about markleys is they had a upper in the case and a high end trigger but ask them about "OLL" stuff and it's like your talking chinese........blank stare. I go there like once a month to shoot pistols and look around, changed up the store and added a lot of apparel and gear but I think cause the sheriffs practice there they don't handle what they deem to be questionable......I asked them if they had 223 mags for ar style rifle and the guy totally blew me off, shaking his head and turning his back, "we don't handle those type of things"...Capitola outdoor world will do oll's ( I think it's like $90.00 to do a transfer though) but they "informed" me that ak style rifles are illegal. When asked what some one should do with one they got FROM THEIR STORE , I was told I could pin the mag or turn it into the police...........sigh.............you get the picture. The gun exchange is your best bet and the new guys there have really turned it around. You would be hyped to go in there and check out just how much ar related stuff they got. Make a day of it, got a old lady tell her you'll drop her off at the big mall and scoop her up after you do your thing.......

+100

I have had the same experience as SC at both Markley's and ODW. The looks you get are pricessless. Markleys even gave me the "look" when I asked about Mini 14/30's. Outdoor world will break your bank and tell you to give the rifle to the local PD.

About a year or so ago I found a FAB10 AR. Those of you who know, its a SEALED magwell model. The only place that would do the PPT was the SJ Gun Exchange. 35.00 and 10 days, wha la. Good guys, good inventory (last time I was there) and easy to get to.

Do the drive and make your life easier.
Regards,
Mike

rtlltj
02-02-2009, 8:35 AM
You guys all shoot at Laguna Seca? At least Hunter's Supply started selling handguns so now we have a place in Salinas to do ppt transfers. For ar/ak stuff use the FFL's in San Jose.

C.G.
02-02-2009, 3:07 PM
You guys all shoot at Laguna Seca?

Yup, although lately I've been working a lot with little time for shooting.:(

rojocorsa
07-17-2010, 2:04 PM
You can possibly try this guy. I am not sure if he does black rifles, but I know he ordered a Mini-14 for a friend. The friend did the 4473 and 10day waiting period there.

Like I said, I'm not sure if he does black rifles, but it's worth a try. Hell, I want an AK myself, and I hope I won't have to go to SJ.

Del Valle Gunsmithing
(831) 384-1911
224 Reindollar Ave Ste A
Marina, CA 93933

Kemp3
07-17-2010, 2:53 PM
You can possibly try this guy. I am not sure if he does black rifles, but I know he ordered a Mini-14 for a friend. The friend did the 4473 and 10day waiting period there.

Like I said, I'm not sure if he does black rifles, but it's worth a try. Hell, I want an AK myself, and I hope I won't have to go to SJ.

I second that , Thing is you should go in and meet Ray . He is going to decide based on the person coming in if he wants to take the risk. The other good thing is imo Ray is the best gunsmith around .

JRent54
07-17-2010, 4:45 PM
Don't even try markleys...I tried and the just blew me off!

jimflam
07-17-2010, 6:17 PM
Prepare to dig deep if you are going to del Valle's in Marina, he charged me $85 to transfer a lower from DD's to me.

Arias
07-17-2010, 6:43 PM
I'm in the Salinas area and recently DROS'd a stripped lower from Roger's Relics. I called around and it seemed like people were having a 'who could charge more' contest, I remember the highest being $125, they actually had stripped AR lowers in their shop, but refused to give a price over the phone, needless to say they didn't get my business. Lisa was a pleasure to deal with, and Roger's will always have my business.

Uhhlexxxis
07-18-2010, 3:51 AM
+100

I have had the same experience as SC at both Markley's and ODW. The looks you get are pricessless. Markleys even gave me the "look" when I asked about Mini 14/30's.

HAHA!! 100% agree.. They still have that upper sitting in the case. I've gone in there a few times hoping to find something I like and their customer service isn't very helpful. From an LE standpoint, it's sad this is all Santa Cruz County has to offer. thanks hippies.

The last time I went there, they asked for my LE ID (I asked to handle the XDm) which was followed up with "are you currently carrying a sidearm?"
me:"does it matter?"
them: "we would like for you to leave it in the car from now on"
me: "not a chance. sorry, I guess you don't need my business after all"

I walked out. No one here has described the location of Markleys, but it's in the straight ghetto of Watsonville. I'll take my business to San Jose or Sacramento. There ammo prices and just general prices for comparable stuff you can find in other places is too high to justify purchasing.

Kemp3
07-18-2010, 7:34 AM
Prepare to dig deep if you are going to del Valle's in Marina, he charged me $85 to transfer a lower from DD's to me.

Well beside all mentioned , Del Valle - Hunters Supply - Big 5 - Outdoor world and Markleys . There is only one other choice in our area Bob Ashmore . You guys can always give him a try .

Personally I ll stick with Ray @ Del Valle's .

lordvader27
07-18-2010, 9:15 AM
hunters supply started selling ar's with bullet buttons a couple of weeks ago.

rojocorsa
07-18-2010, 9:58 AM
The one time I walked into R. Ashmore's store in downtown Monterrey, he seemed to have an a-hole attitude. Not friendly or talkative or anything like that. It looked like he didn't even want to be there, or see other patronizing his store. I've also heard that he does sloppy work and other stuff like that.

How come Del Valle's costs so much? I've actually never been to his place myself, but I might go on Thursday (for other reasons).

jimflam
07-18-2010, 10:18 AM
I used to do business with Robt. Ashmore for years, bought and sold. Finally couldn't take the lazy attitude anymore, walk away, I'll never go back.

Arias
07-18-2010, 10:21 AM

Wow, that's nice to hear, their right down the street from me

Kemp3
07-18-2010, 1:12 PM

Ill have to call Mike and mess with him a lil. A little over a year ago I was looking into various options , Mike would not do any OLL's then. Mike is a great guy , knows his stuff and will go above and beyond to help. Hell almost every Sunday he is out there . Mike is not a gunsmith though and there in house one isnt as good as Ray @ Del Valle, Mike is one damn good salesmen/customer service person. Bob Ashmore is a crabby ol guy, If he doesnt know you he will treat you like crap. As a gunsmith he is alright , if he likes what every you want him to do he does a great job.

I go back to my past statement , but alter it for both Bob Ashmore and Del Valle. Go in meet them , ask some question then maybe after they get to know you they will help you out. I know Ray helped me , then again none of you heard that from me either :p

rojocorsa
09-04-2010, 12:15 PM
I was this close to doing business with Del Valle's. But now, NOPE. Hell ****ing NO.

Is anyone else OK with paying a $90 transfer fee for a rimfire .22 bolt action? I called him up last week; he told me of the $90 fee. OK, fine I say, "How much would it cost me if you ordered directly from CZ?" "I'm not sure," he says, "I'll have to check and get back to you." So I give him my phone number so he can call me back with an estimate. He tells me that he will call back tomorrow (this was on Sunday the 29th of August) between the hours of 1200 to 1800.

He never did.

Ergo, there is no incentive to do business with him ever.

It didn't help that when my best friend took his rifle to get its receiver tapped, Ray was a month late with the promised work.

I wish I was making this up because otherwise it would be slander. I am usually not one to talk smack about people either. I am however, not a fan of being blown off, especially when I have cash READY all ready to go, know what I mean. What's that about biting the hand that feeds you?

And as for Markley's---not a fan. I only go there because they happen to be the nearest indoor range--that's it.

JTecalo
09-04-2010, 2:55 PM
Big 5 in Monterey will do a PPT but I don't know about having something shipped in for a transfer.

C.G.
09-04-2010, 7:21 PM
Big 5 in Monterey will do a PPT but I don't know about having something shipped in for a transfer.

They must have changed their policy; they would only do DROS on guns purchased from them a few years back.

jltapia
09-08-2010, 3:09 PM
Does anyone know how much Gun Exchange in San Jose charges for DROS on a stripped lower receiver purchased from a company online?

Arias
09-08-2010, 3:14 PM
Does anyone know how much Gun Exchange in San Jose charges for DROS on a stripped lower receiver purchased from a company online?

I called them a few months back to DROS my lower, I don't exactly recall the specific dollar amount but it was around $100, I just know it was on the high side.

I see your in Salinas, I don't know if you've tried Hunter Supply. I think it was in this thread that someone said they were selling ARs w/ bullet buttons. Doesn't hurt to call.

If your willing to drive to San Jo, then by all means give Rogers Relics a call. They run a 1st class business, very, very helpful people. Oh, I paid $65 for the transfer of the lower there.

jltapia
09-08-2010, 3:23 PM
I called them a few months back to DROS my lower, I don't exactly recall the specific dollar amount but it was around $100, I just know it was on the high side.

I see your in Salinas, I don't know if you've tried Hunter Supply. I think it was in this thread that someone said they were selling ARs w/ bullet buttons. Doesn't hurt to call.

If your willing to drive to San Jo, then by all means give Rogers Relics a call. They run a 1st class business, very, very helpful people. Oh, I paid $65 for the transfer of the lower there.

I don't think Hunter's Supply has ARs w/bullet buttons. All they had a while back was some AR looking .22 rifles. But like you said, it doesn't hurt to give Mike a call.

Yeah, I think I will have to use Roger's Relics. I used them a while back when i bought my AK. They are pretty nice and friendly. And I remember paying only $65 as well.

Thanks.

rojocorsa
09-08-2010, 3:26 PM
All I know is that last time I called Hunter Supply, they told me their transfer was $75.

jltapia
09-08-2010, 3:28 PM
All I know is that last time I called Hunter Supply, they told me their transfer was $75.

But i don't think they do OLL.

Arias
09-08-2010, 3:52 PM
I called, they don't transfer lowers :(

Would be nice if they did, being that they are in town

lordvader27
09-08-2010, 6:15 PM
I called, they don't transfer lowers :(

Would be nice if they did, being that they are in town

they will only do complete guns with bullit buttons, not stripped lowers, I have no idea what there thinking is, but its a start, last year they would on even consider doing OLL guns.

SLYoteBoy
09-08-2010, 6:23 PM
Yeah hunter's supply did not used to do ARs. I asked and they were like "no its a grey area , owner doesnt want to get involved etc et al. If you feel like going south , Atascadero Arms is a good shop. I take my business there as much as possible. J&D Guns and Ammo in King City had saigas on the wall last time I was in there. Hes an onry/cranky old fart but atleast he stocks Saiga's unlike most the other chump FFL's around here.

lordvader27
09-08-2010, 6:39 PM
Yeah hunter's supply did not used to do ARs. I asked and they were like "no its a grey area , owner doesnt want to get involved etc et al. If you feel like going south , Atascadero Arms is a good shop. I take my business there as much as possible. J&D Guns and Ammo in King City had saigas on the wall last time I was in there. Hes an onry/cranky old fart but atleast he stocks Saiga's unlike most the other chump FFL's around here.

(Hes an onry/cranky old fart) To say the least, does he still have the dog in there, last time I did business there 5 years ago he was doing his best to get FFL's without a storefront closed down

SLYoteBoy
09-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Yeah he still has the big *** pinser dog. Yeah he wants to be the only game in town , which he is right now.

gvbsat
09-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Ashmore has stripped lowers in stock. I believe he has one complete AR with BB in stock as well. Personally, I like Ashmore. In my opinion, and my dealing with him and seeing some of the people who stop by or call while I am there, if you have an attitude, he will give you attitude in return. He has done a lot to help me out, and it's fun just to stop by and BS with him. I think he has some fair prices as well. I purchased my stripped lower and it was under $160 total.

C.G.
09-09-2010, 5:44 PM
I like Ashmore as well, it was his employee that used to ignore me. Good to know he changed his policy.

rojocorsa
09-09-2010, 8:55 PM
I think Ashmore acted like a dick to me a while back because I am young [but respectful, always].

What did y'all do to get on his good side? Or do you just have to have gray hair?

dousan
09-09-2010, 9:39 PM
I grew up in Freedom (Watsonville), went shooting at Markley's a few weeks ago visiting the parents.
Such a shame businesses out there suck.

I'm glad we got RIFLE GEAR down here, they need a norcal location!

Arias
09-09-2010, 10:40 PM
We need a Nor Cal version of RifleGear

gvbsat
09-10-2010, 4:58 AM
I grew up in Freedom (Watsonville), went shooting at Markley's a few weeks ago visiting the parents.
Such a shame businesses out there suck.

I'm glad we got RIFLE GEAR down here, they need a norcal location!

Markley's is a pretty good place for reloading supplies, and thats about it. I stopped in a while back when gathering information for my AR build, and I got the whole "it's not legal" talk. They even told me that two people are indited for have an "assault weapon in the area" that did have a BB. Funny, I have not read anything about the Grand Jury inditing people for weapon charges lately. Good place for powder and primers.

xrMike
09-10-2010, 7:45 AM
they actually had stripped AR lowers in their shop, but refused to give a price over the phone, needless to say they didn't get my business.Let me guess... Gun Exchange on Almaden Expressway?

I haven't gone back since Xeno stopped working there.