PDA

View Full Version : Loaning a gun?

wildog8812
01-30-2009, 1:54 PM
My dad has a handgun he wants to give to me, but I don't have a HSC. I do not want to get one because as of May I will be exempt from it because of PC 832 (firearms training through the police academy), and I don't want to support the program. I think it is a stupid law. Enough of my soapbox though.

Can he loan me the gun? And if so for how long? Or would it just be better for me to pay the $25 tax and pass the easy test?

leitung
01-30-2009, 2:00 PM
You need the HSC by law in order to have the handgun in your possession, even as a loan. If you need to borrow it right away go get the HSC. Otherwise just wait until you PC832.

wildog8812
01-30-2009, 2:05 PM
You need the HSC by law in order to have the handgun in your possession, even as a loan. If you need to borrow it right away go get the HSC. Otherwise just wait until you PC832.

thanks, I figured so

Librarian
01-30-2009, 2:07 PM

Well, not exactly. You need it at the time of transfer - you can let the HSC expire after its five years and it's still legal to possess all your handguns.

But you do need it before a loan, too, unless exempt.

I quite agree that it's a stupid law. Spend the $25 if you need a handgun before May.

leitung
01-30-2009, 2:10 PM
Well, not exactly. You need it at the time of transfer - you can let the HSC expire after its five years and it's still legal to possess all your handguns.

But you do need it before a loan, too, unless exempt.

I quite agree that it's a stupid law. Spend the $25 if you need a handgun before May.

Thanks for cleaning that up.. Possession was a bad choice of words..:thumbsup: