PDA

View Full Version : Pre ban magazine question

paintballergb
01-30-2009, 11:21 AM
I tried searching the forums because I am sure this question has been answered before but I didn't have any luck. My dad has quite a few 30 round AR magazines that he got pre-ban and my question it legal for to use the magazines to their capacity? He did the modification so it only allows him to put 10 in but I told him I thought he might be able to put all 30 rounds in.

ohsmily
01-30-2009, 11:30 AM
What modification? Did he permanently modify his magazines? I hope not...geez...

OF COURSE IT IS LEGAL TO USE HIS LEGALLY OWNED MAGAZINES. Just make sure he doesn't create an assault weapon by putting it in a ar-15 type build that has a bullet button or magazine retaining device.

I repeat, it sounds like he destroyed all his legal high caps by permanently making them 10 rounders.....whoops!!!

grywlfbg
01-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Yep, as long as the rifle you're putting them in is a registered AW or featureless build it's completely legal. However he can't give or lend them to you. If you (or anyone else) want to use them he must be present.

shark92651
01-30-2009, 11:54 AM
I would "rebuild" them back into 30 rounders.

paintballergb
01-30-2009, 12:46 PM
What modification? Did he permanently modify his magazines? I hope not...geez...

OF COURSE IT IS LEGAL TO USE HIS LEGALLY OWNED MAGAZINES. Just make sure he doesn't create an assault weapon by putting it in a ar-15 type build that has a bullet button or magazine retaining device.

I repeat, it sounds like he destroyed all his legal high caps by permanently making them 10 rounders.....whoops!!!

Ok thanks for the info guys. And to answer your question no he didn't permanently modify, he basically did the equvilent of putting a plug in a shotgun.

ohsmily
01-30-2009, 1:56 PM
Ok thanks for the info guys. And to answer your question no he didn't permanently modify, he basically did the equvilent of putting a plug in a shotgun.

Why?

paintballergb
02-02-2009, 7:03 AM
Why?

Because he didn't want to getting arrested/fined if he got caught with something that wasn't legal.

AJAX22
02-02-2009, 7:46 AM
Because he didn't want to getting arrested/fined if he got caught with something that wasn't legal.

A mag plug in a shotgun is only relevent to fish and game law..... same goses for temporarily altered magazines (like what your dad did)

legally speaking they are unchanged... its just a 30 round mag with a plug in it...