PDA

View Full Version : House Arrest Charge.

scrat
01-30-2009, 10:39 AM
A good freind of mine called me up last night. Seems as though his kid got himeself in some trouble. The kid is in his teens. I guess he got busted for graffiti and was placed on house arrest. Im not too sure of all the specifics. He was asking me if i could keep his guns at my place. I do have the room and dont mind it. However im a little confused on the house arrest thing. Seems as though probation officers can come buy and check their house. If he has his guns in a safe and the kid has no access how would that be a problem. Any how what do i need to do to keep his guns over here. Should he fill out a note or something then i just put them in my safe until his kid gets off house arrest.

rulas41
01-30-2009, 10:50 AM
if its for less than 30 days he could lend them to you after that they need to be transferred to you of course i could be wrong

tgriffin
01-30-2009, 11:24 AM
rulas41 is quite right.

They can be in your possession for 29 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 59 seconds legally without having to have them transferred into your name.

DedEye
01-30-2009, 11:44 AM
rulas41 is quite right.

They can be in your possession for 29 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 59 seconds legally without having to have them transferred into your name.

He can also take them back in that time frame, go shooting, then bring them back to your place and restart the clock, correct?

rulas41
01-30-2009, 11:48 AM
He can also take them back in that time frame, go shooting, then bring them back to your place and restart the clock, correct?

i would think so because they would be in the owners possession and then lent to the op restarting the clock

tgriffin
01-30-2009, 12:26 PM

Doesn't even need to take them shooting. Just needs to be back in his possession, however momentarily, to restart the 30 day time period.

Not advocating anything illegal here, but remember the burden of proof on determining when 30 days started and thirty days ends is on the .gov if it becomes an issue.

xxdabroxx
01-30-2009, 12:58 PM
glad the kid got caught, should lose a finger. :rant:

back to the important matter, i would think that if he visited your residence at a rate more frequent than 30 days it should be fine.

wash
01-30-2009, 1:02 PM
I don't know why he would need to get them out of the house.

He could be worried that a parole officer would look around and see something that's not 100% legal.

If that's the case, don't take it.

jacques
01-30-2009, 1:08 PM
Parole and probation are two different things. He should find out what the conditions of his probation are first. That should have been explained to him. I do not think in most cases, probabtion constitutes having no guns. Parole on the other hand would most likely be a different situation. Again, all he needs to do is call the courthouse, or his probation officer and find out.

Come to think of it, if he is under house arrest, I would not think he is on probation or parole. He is basically 'in jail'. They just don't have enough room in the jails to accommodate everyone, so you get 'house arrest'.

CA_Libertarian
01-30-2009, 1:23 PM
Come to think of it, if he is under house arrest, I would not think he is on probation or parole. He is basically 'in jail'. They just don't have enough room in the jails to accommodate everyone, so you get 'house arrest'.

I believe house arrest is a form of probation, as it is a sentence given in stead of jail time. I'm not sure that entitles the probation officers the right to search the house at will, but I'm not familiar with the laws there...

I suppose it is possible the terms of his probation include that he not have access to guns, or maybe even that guns not be stored on the premises... who knows with the crazy laws we have...

scrat
01-30-2009, 1:23 PM
ya Its not my situation. Its got to be the probation officer. Any how thats his deal. I know he has his guns locked up in a safe. Whatever the law is, looks like i get to have FREE LOANER GUNS. At least until he gets his stuff together with his kid. He was telling me the PROBATION guy is supposed to come by Saturday as he was having problems with the monitoring thing. So tonight he is bringing them over. Im just going to make sure they are unloaded. As i would be taken possesion of them for a while. Then lock them up in my safe. Its going to be a tight fit but i will make it work.

DDT
01-30-2009, 1:25 PM
I suppose it is possible the terms of his probation include that he not have access to guns, or maybe even that guns not be stored on the premises... who knows with the crazy laws we have...

don't know that I would consider that a "crazy" law.