PDA

View Full Version : Some upper advice

Loner
01-29-2009, 10:17 PM
I was able to secure a Sabre lower last year around the time the election happened, and I've been slowly getting the parts for it. Now with the tax season coming in, I want to get an upper for it. This is my second build, and I'm going with another carbine, but a mid-length. Though thanks to the current demand, as we all know, everything has dried up.

However, the advice I need is that I've decided on two uppers. Either a BCM midlength, or Sabre Defence's M5 carbine upper. Both have great specs and have had great reviews from what google has turned up. Though the prices between the two are significant; as the BCM upper is $450, while the M5 is $799, but it does come with handguards and a BCG, which the BCM does not.

The other issue is availability, BCM has stated on their forum on AR15.com that they'll have those uppers in stock by late February. Sabre has told me their leads times are currently 5-6 months, and I can place an order direct with them. BCM on the other hand does not have a backorder system and is first come, first serve, which is also a problem as that the company I work for blocks their site, which prevented me from purchasing the last batch of BCG's they had on sale a few weeks back.

I'm not too concerned on another AWB coming up, as bwiese has stated that any new ban that makes it through Congress will face an injunction and will go through federal courts. The problem lies in that I'm rather impatient.

So any advice or opinions would be helpful.

supersonic
01-29-2009, 10:50 PM
I'd absolutely go with BCM. You'll be getting a very, VERY high-quality military contractor making those parts (at least a number of them) to as close to mil-spec tolerances as we civvies can get. You'll be getting it quicker. Handguards are relatively inexpensive (you can start at about $30-$40 for good, double heat-shielded M4's), and the BCG will be about $150 if you get the BCM....BTW, they are worth waiting for, and, again, one of the best available to us. So, $$-wise, you are still a couple 'a hundred ahead *still*. So, you'll be waiting less time for a "high-tier" upper, AND have money left over for a good little pile of ammo. No-brainer!!!:D

Loner
01-30-2009, 7:11 AM
Yes, but as I mentioned earlier, the problem I'm running into is that when BCM has the uppers in stock is when I'm at work and the company blocks their website.

I was also thinking of just buying an upper receiver and getting the barrel assembly from Sabre.

supersonic
01-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Yes, but as I mentioned earlier, the problem I'm running into is that when BCM has the uppers in stock is when I'm at work and the company blocks their website.

I was also thinking of just buying an upper receiver and getting the barrel assembly from Sabre.

Ahhhhh..........build 'er from "scratch." That's fun (I'm not joking - assuming you are going to start w/ a stripped upper *& lower*). But now you are looking at buying special tools to do this kind of work (also assuming you are going to do this yourself). The Sabre barrels are made of a different kind of alloy than most, if not all, the others out there on the market. Vanadium, I believe. Some say it is superior to CM (lighter, stronger, higher temp. range, etc.), but that kind of quality doesn't really come into play outside of sustained, full auto & combat. They have, IMO, a ":cool:" factor in that they have a "gunmetal grey satin" finish. Looks really good w/ a black FH/MB. I'd also put a mil-spec black A2 front sight on one, too (probably have to go clamp-on, though). Now that would be kew - ell!!!!!!:D

BTW - hope your end result turns out great. be sure to post pics when you are finished!

elSquid
01-30-2009, 11:44 AM
I'd absolutely go with BCM. You'll be getting a very, VERY high-quality military contractor making those parts (at least a number of them) to as close to mil-spec tolerances as we civvies can get.

Minor point, but Sabre is a military contractor for M16s/other stuff; I don't know if BCM is.

I'd probably decide on the basis of quickest delivery. I'm an impatient sort as well.

Of course if BCM always sells out quickly and the OP will never be able to place an order in time, then it sounds like the decision has been made for him.

-- Michael

supersonic
01-30-2009, 2:20 PM
Minor point, but Sabre is a military contractor for M16s/other stuff; I don't know if BCM is.-- Michael

Yes, they do supply some parts. They are just not as much of a major player in contracting as BCM. I don't think Sabre has been around for quite as long.

elSquid
01-30-2009, 2:34 PM
Yes, they do supply some parts. They are just not as much of a major player in contracting as BCM. I don't think Sabre has been around for quite as long.

Well, I did a quick search.

Military contracts:

BCM - $6,000 (http://www.governmentcontractswon.com/department/defense/bravo-company-usa-inc-154147214.asp?yr=07)
Sabre - $62,000,000 (http://www.governmentcontractswon.com/department/defense/sabre_defence_industries_llc_126166789.asp?yr=0)

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3197/is_/ai_n29471850

-- Michael