PDA

View Full Version : SIG P229 22cal

jjwoomer
01-29-2009, 8:51 PM
SIG is now selling the P229 with their factory 22 cal conversion kit already installed. Both the P229 and the conversion kit is legal, but my local gun shop is confused by the state list and since the P229 is not listed as a 22 cal, they won't order it for me and insist I purchase the P229 (any cal), and then convert it to the 22 cal. This ends up costing $1366! If you buy on the SIG 2 step plan, you get the P229 with the 22 cal for $608 and can purchase the 9mm barrel later for a reduced price, thus saving a few hundred. I wrote the state (not that I expect a quick reply) and asked this question, that since the P229 is approved and so is the 22 cal conversion, shouldn't I be able to purchase this already installed? Comments appreciated!

Jerry

Trader Jack
01-29-2009, 9:08 PM
SIG is now selling the P229 with their factory 22 cal conversion kit already installed. Both the P229 and the conversion kit is legal, but my local gun shop is confused by the state list and since the P229 is not listed as a 22 cal, they won't order it for me and insist I purchase the P229 (any cal), and then convert it to the 22 cal. This ends up costing $1366! If you buy on the SIG 2 step plan, you get the P229 with the 22 cal for $608 and can purchase the 9mm barrel later for a reduced price, thus saving a few hundred. I wrote the state (not that I expect a quick reply) and asked this question, that since the P229 is approved and so is the 22 cal conversion, shouldn't I be able to purchase this already installed? Comments appreciated!

Jerry

NO:(

C.G.
01-29-2009, 9:42 PM
Don't get mad at the the FFL. Unfortunately, they can only sell you what is approved on the BOF list, last I time checked the P229 was only approved in 9mm, .40 SW and .357 Sig.

jjwoomer
01-30-2009, 6:55 AM
I have no issue with my local shop other than I think they over charge a bit, but otherwise good helpful folks. I was looking to better understand the issue. I think it basically boils down to the manufacture paying the fees, and with the state's budget as is...... you get the idea. Thanks for the response!

Jerry

JTfish
01-30-2009, 8:23 AM
I had the same discussion with my local shop 2 days ago. They were not aware that Sig was offering the P229 in .22 LR. Topgunsupply.com is offering the 2 step plan for $499 (currently out of stock) and the upgrade to 9mm, .40 or .357SIG for $399. That's a huge savings over purchasing the P229 in a standard caliber and the .22LR conversion kit. Unfortunately it sounds like that option is not available in Cali. Oh well, I guess the gun is "safer" in .357SIG than .22LR. :confused:

DDT
01-30-2009, 8:35 AM
Would it be legal to buy the full 2 step online and have them install the larger caliber barrel before shipping to your local FFL. Have them ship the .22 barrel direct to prevent any confusion?

Or wait for NeRF in 2 weeks.

bwiese
01-30-2009, 8:38 AM
A Sig P229 in 9mm, (and likely one or both of 40 or 357Sig) is on the approved Roster. It's been drop tested, etc. in those configurations.

A Sig P229 has not been approved in 22LR.

A Sig 22lR conversion kit has NOT been approved by DOJ, but conversion kits are not approved nor prohibited. DOJ & its test labs do not approve separate kits, just complete operational handguns.

For now, you need to buy the approved P229 then drop the 22LR conversion kit on it.

sfpcservice
01-30-2009, 8:46 AM
I order a sig p239 from my local shop with the 700 Nitro Express conversion kit already installed. It comes with a helmet and a clean set of underwear.

jjwoomer
01-30-2009, 9:09 AM
A Sig P229 in 9mm, (and likely one or both of 40 or 357Sig) is on the approved Roster. It's been drop tested, etc. in those configurations.

A Sig P229 has not been approved in 22LR.

A Sig 22lR conversion kit has NOT been approved by DOJ, but conversion kits are not approved nor prohibited. DOJ & its test labs do not approve separate kits, just complete operational handguns.

For now, you need to buy the approved P229 then drop the 22LR conversion kit on it.

Bill, your response is pretty much how I had figured this would go down. However I was surprised to learn that the conversion kits aren't regulated. I'm sure they are to some extent, otherwise we'd have fully automatic conversion kits, Ha Ha!!! (In 70 Nitro Express):D

DDT: Clever idea, not sure it would work, but l'll make a few calls. What is NeRF in 2 weeks?

Thanks everyone for the comments, they are much appreciated!
Jerry

gn3hz3ku1*
01-30-2009, 10:12 AM
when he said no regulated he meant conversion kits that allow you to change to legal calibers :)

not to change the firing mech to full auto or use an illegal rd ie 50bmg

DDT
01-30-2009, 12:48 PM
DDT: Clever idea, not sure it would work, but l'll make a few calls. What is NeRF in 2 weeks?

Sorry, I hadn't noticed that you were a new CalGunner. Welcome!!!!

NeRF is a process that the good people here at CalGuns are working on to allow folks to bring in handguns that are not on the approved roster. Read this thread:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=136084 or at least some of it :)

2 weeks is short hand on this forum for "any day now." or as we used to say in my line of work RSN (real soon now)

JTfish
01-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Would it be legal to buy the full 2 step online and have them install the larger caliber barrel before shipping to your local FFL. Have them ship the .22 barrel direct to prevent any confusion?

Or wait for NeRF in 2 weeks.

I liked this idea from DDT so I emailed Topgun and they responded with the following:

"The problem is that the product code on the gun box is not an approved code, regardless of what is inside the box. A fine line to walk. Also, the full caliber uppers are not yet available and I am not sure when Sig is going to have them."

DDT
01-30-2009, 1:45 PM
It was worth a try.