PDA

View Full Version : AK47 Headspace?

cc93cruiser
01-29-2009, 7:38 PM
My father built me a ak from a romy g kit about 2 years ago and have never fired it... Reason being, that the headspacing was never checked... I was wondering if there is a gunsmith out here in the bay area, preferebly the west bay/peninsula to check the head spacing for me? Or is there a link on here providing a DIY job? I searched, but found nothing...Kit was a #'s matching kit by the way....

Lateralus
01-29-2009, 7:56 PM
My father built me a ak from a romy g kit about 2 years ago and have never fired it... Reason being, that the headspacing was never checked... I was wondering if there is a gunsmith out here in the bay area, preferebly the west bay/peninsula to check the head spacing for me? Or is there a link on here providing a DIY job? I searched, but found nothing...Kit was a #'s matching kit by the way....

The headspace on an AK is determined at the factory by the barrels position in the trunion. They press it in to the correct position and drive that barrel pin through to keep it in place. If you have a matching numbers kit you are 99% good to go. However, if you really want to find out, you have a couple options:

1: buy 7.62x39 headspace gauges.

2: Do what I do. Hold the rifle far away from your body, turn head the other way and pull the trigger.

oogabooga
01-29-2009, 8:05 PM
The headspace on an AK is determined at the factory by the barrels position in the trunion. They press it in to the correct position and drive that barrel pin through to keep it in place. If you have a matching numbers kit you are 99% good to go. However, if you really want to find out, you have a couple options:

2: Do what I do. Hold the rifle far away from your body, turn head the other way and pull the trigger.

This :D
And maybe build a tiny fort out of the provided sandbags.

Well I did both. The problem with headspace gauges, though, is that there are 2 different specs. I forget what they're called (one's Euro, and one's something else?) One is of tighter tolerances than the other, and sometimes a bolt won't close on a GO-gauge while it WILL close on a live round. This happened to me, but after a lot of convincing from people over at AK files, they said as long as it's matching numbers, and it closes on a live round with ease, then you should be good to go for the most part.

cc93cruiser
01-29-2009, 8:10 PM
thanks for the replies. So if the first shoot is good, then it should be good to go from that point on....

bohoki
01-29-2009, 8:19 PM
check your brass (spent casing)along side other fired brass of the same cartridge fired in a different gun

SKSer
02-10-2009, 10:35 PM
2: Do what I do. Hold the rifle far away from your body, turn head the other way and pull the trigger.[/QUOTE]

When I read this I almost woke up the whole house from laughing so hard. :thumbsup:

technique
02-10-2009, 10:41 PM

I do that too.:thumbsup:

JeffM
02-10-2009, 10:47 PM
check your brass (spent casing)along side other fired brass of the same cartridge fired in a different gun

If you go with Lateralus' optoin #2, do it with brass cased ammo, not steel. Check for stretching, etc.

IMHO, get the headspace checked by a smith with the right tools.

marxdspot
02-11-2009, 12:03 AM
This :D
And maybe build a tiny fort out of the provided sandbags.

Well I did both. The problem with headspace gauges, though, is that there are 2 different specs. I forget what they're called (one's Euro, and one's something else?) One is of tighter tolerances than the other, and sometimes a bolt won't close on a GO-gauge while it WILL close on a live round. This happened to me, but after a lot of convincing from people over at AK files, they said as long as it's matching numbers, and it closes on a live round with ease, then you should be good to go for the most part.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there a couple different specs of headspace gauges out there. The three most commonly used are SAAMI, MASSI, and CIP. AK gurrus have advised me to go with the MASSI (East German) as they're used to headspace mil-spec rifles. For safe measure, I bought all three sets:D

Ford8N
02-11-2009, 6:06 AM
WzVZ_OjAxuU

If it is going to blow it's usually the top cover that will get ya.

nobs11
02-11-2009, 6:32 AM

Dunno what is better. Getting your head blown off or to go through the rest of your life without hands.

motorhead
02-11-2009, 8:41 AM
what you're mainly concerned with is that the bolt doesn't close on the no-go. a cartrige can be a go. use a dummy if possible or secure the hammer/remove the pin for this.
there is a shadetree method with masking tape. search on the akfiles if you must. excess headspace is very dangerous. tight is not as much of a prob. as there's a safety nub on the bolt carrier to keep the hammer from striking the firing pin out of battery.
if you go the shoot route, check the first round for deformity and especially for bulged primer. DO NOT insert a mag for your first shot. fire only a single round.
none of the guages available are perfect matches for the arsenal specs. the ddr massi guages are the closest.

Lateralus
02-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Dunno what is better. Getting your head blown off or to go through the rest of your life without hands.

Aw, you ruined the mood :(.

herburt
02-11-2009, 11:09 AM

Nice! that's SOP for any new firearm I buy regardless of if it's new from the factory or made in jimmy bobs garage. 1 round in the magazine and hope it doesn't blow up.

tteng
02-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Frank Ambruso at Redwood City 650-363-1651. Last time I saw him, he had accurized a SKS, and he reloads for this caliber, so he might have the headspace gauge. Pay him a visit, real nice guy, you'll learn a lot from just talking to him.

jeffyboy
02-11-2009, 12:10 PM
You might have more luck posting the request in the gunsmith section :thumbsup: