PDA

View Full Version : What is a fair price for this rifle?

mgalvez
01-29-2009, 5:58 PM
I am on day 3 of the waiting period for my OLL. I want to sell one of my other rifles so I can start ordering parts but I don't know what is a fair price to ask.

Winchester Model 70 manufactured in 1978 in 7MM Rem Mag built in New Haven with a Redfield 3x-9x scope. It has a few scratches on the stock, but they are very light. Blueing on the gun is in very good shape. The rifle has had less than 50 rounds fired out of it. The pics.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/819/pict3123zm7.th.jpg (http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pict3123zm7.jpg)

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7250/pict3129vb2.th.jpg (http://img140.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pict3129vb2.jpg)

devildog999
01-29-2009, 7:18 PM
I'll take it for 20 bucks ;) No one will pay anything more for it, just say yes now. I really would be doing you a favor ;)

Seesm
01-29-2009, 7:20 PM
He is wrong... And that guy is trying to RIP you off... $50 bucks and I can send it to paypal RIGHT now... FOr $50 I will take it.!! :)

hoffman259
01-29-2009, 7:27 PM
come on 50 bucks it has a scope on it. Ill take it for 55 and ill even pay the shipping.

In all seriousness I dont really know. 7mm mag is a great hunting rifle in fact it will probably be my next rifle I purchase. Maybe check out gunbroker to get an idea of the market?

tankerman
01-29-2009, 7:28 PM
Unfortunately you are in that window of poor quality when Winchester tried less expensive manufacturing techics. Pre-64 is where the money is, the quality went back up when the Model 70 Classic was produced in 1992 till 2006. The newer production by FN is also supposed to by good.

You can find that post-64 stuff being offered around $400, and no one is buying.

Model 70's from 1965-1991 are junk.................sorry

mgalvez
01-29-2009, 9:06 PM
Saying the gun is "junk" is not true. Some of the early post '64 were not as nice, but by the 70's quality was on the rise. Also the 81' model once again went back to pre '64 feed system, so there are pre '91 models that are very nice. As to the price, I did not think I was going to get $1000 for, I might be happy with a whole lot less. (I was thinking a little over $300, and looking at gunbroker.com I think I could get $400) My gun also has very nice fit and finish. It is nice and tight and shoots way better than I can. I just wanted to know what I could get for it, don't want to disrespect anyone.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_10_47/ai_78130014/pg_1?tag=content;col1

"Knocking the post-'64 Model 70 action has been a popular sport for years. In fact it is a very good action, and for some purposes it is better than the pre-'64 design. Like the Remington 700, the post-'64 M-70 is a rigid, concentric action that is inherently accurate. Maybe it would have been better if Winchester had just given it a new model number and retained the old Model 70 as a special order item, as they did with the Model 12 shotgun, letting it retire with dignity.

Responding to continued criticism from riflemen, Winchester sought to address a number of appearance issues. One of these centered on the quality of stock checkering, and Winchester developed a method to machine-checker gun stocks. Although their first efforts weren't as good as hand checkering, they were better in function and appearance than the awful stamped checkering of the early post- '64 guns. Still, Winchester was able to sell them at a competitive price, and for a lot of people, price is what matters most. Moreover, Winchester did listen to the complaints from rifle enthusiasts and in 1968 announced a redesigned rifle.

The biggest design change was increasing the size of the right locking lug and then slotting it, the slot riding a rail on the right side of the receiver. This clever feature smoothed up bolt travel considerably and has been much copied. They also added a polished stainless steel cartridge follower and a reshaped stock with the barrel fully bedded. Winchester quality continued to improve through the '70s."

tankerman
01-29-2009, 9:22 PM
Have to disagree with you on every point. History and facts are on my side.

The article you quote won't change my mind on the subject.................and the market agrees with me, just try selling it and you'll find out.

And the Model 12 was certainly not maintained at the same level of quality through out it production. I know Model 12's.

mgalvez
01-29-2009, 9:36 PM
Point taken. So how much could I sell it for? Not put it up for, but actually move it?

elSquid
01-29-2009, 9:49 PM
I was thinking a little over $300, and looking at gunbroker.com I think I could get $400

That doesn't sound unreasonable at all. Toss it up on the marketplace for $400 and see if it sells; if it doesn't, you can drop the price $25-$50 and try again.

At $300, _I_'d probably buy it. :)

-- Michael

Seesm
01-29-2009, 10:13 PM
It is a still a cool gun... Good luck on the sale...

supersonic
01-29-2009, 10:59 PM
If I didn't already have a Rem 700 in that caliber (it was $$$!!!), I'd definitely pay $375-$400 for it. As long as it shot like a 70 is supposed to & the quality was there. Good Luck!!!

Mississippi
01-29-2009, 11:51 PM
Unfortunately you are in that window of poor quality when Winchester tried less expensive manufacturing techics. Pre-64 is where the money is, the quality went back up when the Model 70 Classic was produced in 1992 till 2006. The newer production by FN is also supposed to by good.

You can find that post-64 stuff being offered around $400, and no one is buying.

Model 70's from 1965-1991 are junk.................sorry

HE simply ask what the value in dollars would be. Not your somewhat rude likes and dislikes about his rifle. What a welcome you gave him to the forums.

mgalvez
01-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks everyone for your help! Some people have strong opinions on certain products and thats ok. I am glad these forums exist as I think they are a very valuable resource. I will be asking many questions after I pick up my lower on the 6th.

tankerman
01-30-2009, 11:54 AM
HE simply ask what the value in dollars would be. Not your somewhat rude likes and dislikes about his rifle. What a welcome you gave him to the forums. Sniffle, sniffle.

Thanks for the advice, I'll start sugar coating everything for your sake from now on. Please send me over your professional personality guide so I can learn to act just like you.

FYI- my OP was not rude. This is a forum for discussion, disagreeing is a part of discussion.

tteng
01-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Another approach.

Get some good ammo. Do a 3 or 5 shot group (either by you or someone you trust) at 100yrd. Photo the target, have the RO signed it, and post the picture here. Ask you max. dollar and let the result speaks for itself.

tankerman
01-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Another approach.

Get some good ammo. Do a 3 or 5 shot group (either by you or someone you trust) at 100yrd. Photo the target, have the RO signed it, and post the picture here. Ask you max. dollar and let the result speaks for itself.More to a rifle than group size on paper. Specially considering this is a hunting rifle and not a target rifle.

tteng
01-30-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm not a hunter, and I've not handled a mod-70 before, so I wouldn't know the specifics relating to a good hunting rifle.

But didn't Sgt. Carlos Hathcock lugged around a (maybe more than one) mod-70 and popped congs with them? I thought all his VN tours were after 65.

tankerman
01-30-2009, 3:30 PM
I'm not a hunter, and I've not handled a mod-70 before, so I wouldn't know the specifics relating to a good hunting rifle.

But didn't Sgt. Carlos Hathcock lugged around a (maybe more than one) mod-70 and popped congs with them? I thought all his VN tours were after 65.He was not using a post 64. USMC only used pre-64 Model 70's. They switched to Remingtons, because the post-64 Model 70 were not up to snuff. Those are facts.

tteng
01-30-2009, 3:44 PM
I stand corrected. Per wikipedia, USMC used pre-64 Mod-70 during VN war.