PDA

View Full Version : Assault Weapons registration question

Scott0san
01-29-2009, 3:42 PM
Ok......Hypothetically now.........I registered my AR-15 with the state of CA during the first assault weapons registration.

The rifle stayed here in CA while my job took me to many different parts of the world. Now I find out that there was a second registration sometime while I was gone.......... so is my rifle registered...or what should I do?????

:confused: Hypothetically now:confused:

domokun
01-29-2009, 3:52 PM
The short answer is if you registered during the initial registration period, you're good to go! :thumbsup:

bwiese
01-29-2009, 4:06 PM
Ok......Hypothetically now.........I registered my AR-15 with the state of CA during the first assault weapons registration.

The rifle stayed here in CA while my job took me to many different parts of the world. Now I find out that there was a second registration sometime while I was gone.......... so is my rifle registered...or what should I do?????

:confused: Hypothetically now:confused:

A registered AW is a registered AW. The relevant iolation is "possession of an unregistered AW".

An AW does not require multiple registrations: if it's reg'd the 1st time, the second time is unnecessary. [And if it were supposed to be reg'd the 1st time, it was not possible to register it in 2000 unless some bureucratic error allowed that to happen: there's a chance the reg might be invalid in that case.]

The first 1990 reg period was for 'banned by name' AWs.

There was, after some drama, a 'catch-up' registration period for the same list of guns to achieve more compliance in 1992? 93?

The SB23 & Kasler registration periods overlapped by several months, and in total ranged from 1/1/2000 - 1/23/2001. This reg period encompasses reg for 'by feature' generic AWs, as well as anything that walked or talked like an AR or AK 'series' member at the time.

DedEye
01-29-2009, 10:45 PM
The real question is if it was registered or not in the first place.

Scott, you don't mean your original purchase and background check when you talk about registration, correct? You filled out a second form and submitted it to the DOJ, and received a letter in reply from them, yes?

Sniper3142
01-30-2009, 7:44 AM
That is the real question.

Did you fill out seperate paperwork after your purchase and send that form in to the CADOJ?

That is what was required during the AW registration process.

Any paperwork you filled out during your initial purchase is not AW registration.

ZirconJohn
01-30-2009, 8:00 AM
Above posts are spot on!

Allow me to reiterate; 'registration' and NOT the purchase Dealer Record of Sale (DROS).

Do you have a letter of registration from the DOJ?

If in fact you did 'register' - call this number; Assault Weapon Registration: 916-263-0296 and they will cross reference their data base with your ID and serial number of rifle. They will update your address etc.

You may need that letter for transportation purposes.

Norcalkid
01-30-2009, 9:56 AM
I had the same question about my registered Bushmaster. Thanks for the answers guys.