PDA

View Full Version : DOJ interfamilial handgun transfer turnaround time?

jumbopanda
01-29-2009, 3:24 PM
I mailed out my form to the DOJ nine days ago and have yet to hear back from them. How long does it usually take for them to take care of an interfamilial transfer?

hawk1
01-29-2009, 3:25 PM
More than 9 days...:D

I've heard as much as 60 to get a letter back.

You did send it certified and return receipt requested, right?

jumbopanda
01-29-2009, 3:28 PM
More than 9 days...:D

I've heard as much as 60 to get a letter back.

You did send it certified and return receipt requested, right?

No, but they did say that they would give me a call.

bwiese
01-29-2009, 4:24 PM
It takes whatever time it takes.

(Observe when they cash the check, BTW.)

For stuff like that I'd send reg'd mail and keep copies til DOJ letter comes back (that way it's in the AFS system).

jumbopanda
01-29-2009, 4:36 PM
Yeah, I've been checking my bank's website to see if they've cashed the check and they haven't.

Fjold
01-29-2009, 5:19 PM
Last summer, it took them about 3 weeks to cash my check and another 5 weeks later I received the acknowlegement in the mail.

lonewolf
01-29-2009, 6:15 PM
They cashed my check January 15 and I'm still waiting. The fact that it's a state agency tells me 45 to 90 days. I'm in no hurry unless they count this firearm in my 1 every 30.

Ten Rounder
01-29-2009, 6:17 PM
Reasonable time to process and mail it back to your, figure about 6-8 weeks, it just takes time. Doesn't mean you have to keep it impounded during that time.

jumbopanda
01-29-2009, 7:43 PM
Oh well it doesn't really matter. My dad can loan the gun to me in the meantime.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-29-2009, 9:07 PM
Oh well it doesn't really matter. My dad can loan the gun to me in the meantime.

No, the gun is yours now.

You can even have total ownership of the gun for 29 days before mailing in the form. By mailing in the form, you are notifying CalDOJ that at some time in the previous 30 days you took ownership of the firearm from your father. You are not asking their permission for the transfer to take place. You are telling them that the transfer has already taken place.

In fact, if your father does not have an HSC then you can't even loan him the gun right now because you have already told CalDOJ that the gun belongs to you. That's the way the intra-family transfer works.

And three months is the longest I've heard of it taking, but two months is more typical.

jumbopanda
01-29-2009, 11:03 PM
No, the gun is yours now.

You can even have total ownership of the gun for 29 days before mailing in the form. By mailing in the form, you are notifying CalDOJ that at some time in the previous 30 days you took ownership of the firearm from your father. You are not asking their permission for the transfer to take place. You are telling them that the transfer has already taken place.

In fact, if your father does not have an HSC then you can't even loan him the gun right now because you have already told CalDOJ that the gun belongs to you. That's the way the intra-family transfer works.

And three months is the longest I've heard of it taking, but two months is more typical.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/HPM/SM1583~Cartman-Sweet-Posters.jpg

leelaw
01-29-2009, 11:08 PM
I sent one in last month.

They cashed my check (including one holiday) in 17 days.

I still haven't received paper confirmation back yet.