PDA

View Full Version : Out of state handgun registration

Mac Attack
01-29-2009, 1:58 PM
How many times can I register handguns with CA?

In order to legit I have several handguns which I would like to register with DOJ CA. I have some of them with me know and some are back in GA. Can I register what I have now and then register the rest later or it a one shot deal where I can only register once?

Mac

M. D. Van Norman
01-29-2009, 2:33 PM
You must register them whenever you legally import them into California.

Librarian
01-29-2009, 4:08 PM
You must register them whenever you legally import them into California.

Right, but just to use the language of the OP, you can register some now, some later - it's not just a one-time thing. Implicit in that is you already own the handguns today and do not acquire more in GA between the time you moved here and the time you bring them back to CA.

Law says 60 days from when you brought the guns into the state. You want the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf).

JDay
01-29-2009, 4:38 PM
I would just not keep them in CA for more than 60 days at a time. To hell with registration if you don't have to I say.

nobody_special
01-29-2009, 4:55 PM
I would just not keep them in CA for more than 60 days at a time. To hell with registration if you don't have to I say.

While I completely agree with the sentiment, the law actually does not provide an exception for handguns which are removed from the state before the 60-day period is up.

pullnshoot25
01-29-2009, 4:59 PM
The DOJ says that you have to register within 60 days but last I checked/heard/read, there isnt a fine or other punishment for not complying... right? Of course, there is no way of knowing when the handguns came in (you could have gone back and retrieved them...) and unless you are OCing or applying for a CCW permit there isn't much of an issue AFAIK.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mac Attack
01-29-2009, 5:22 PM
I actually would prefer to not register them. Back in GA you could buy firearms on a cash and carry without ffl. What are the ramifications of not registering them?

nobody_special
01-29-2009, 6:10 PM
What are the ramifications of not registering them?

Nancy Pelosi will cry.

Also, it's a misdemeanor.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-29-2009, 9:15 PM
If you forget to register them, then you have one year and 60 days after the day you brought them in before the statute of limitations runs out. After that, it is perfectly legal for you to have them as unregistered handguns in California.

nobody_special
01-29-2009, 10:57 PM
If you forget to register them, then you have one year and 60 days after the day you brought them in before the statute of limitations runs out. After that, it is perfectly legal for you to have them as unregistered handguns in California.

Huh, you're absolutely right. This is explicit in PC 12072(f)(4)(A). I mis-remembered; I had thought the statute of limitations begins on the day the authorities would reasonably know a violation had occurred... now I'm wondering where I read that language!

(2) (A) On or after January 1, 1998, within 60 days of bringing a
pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon
the person into this state, a personal handgun importer shall do one
of the following:

[either register or sell the firearm]

(4) (A) It is the intent of the Legislature that a violation of
paragraph (2) or (3) shall not constitute a "continuing offense" and
the statute of limitations for commencing a prosecution for a
violation of paragraph (2) or (3) commences on the date that the
applicable grace period specified in paragraph (2) or (3) expires.