PDA

View Full Version : California Loaded Firearm in Home Legality

SBOldMan
01-29-2009, 12:18 PM
My son has a number of issues with his ultra liberal english teacher. Without getting into her conservative bashing or liberal propaganda I would simply like to ask for help on one issue.

She has demanded that it is illegal to posess a loaded firearm in a private residence. What I would like is for him to be able to show her actual law that refutes her statement. Can someone point me to this? Thank you!

gotgunz
01-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Have him tell her to go to google, click images and turn off the filters then have her type in tubgirl.

LOL

sorensen440
01-29-2009, 12:27 PM
She is wrong.

Casual Observer
01-29-2009, 12:27 PM
My son has a number of issues with his ultra liberal english teacher. Without getting into her conservative bashing or liberal propaganda I would simply like to ask for help on one issue.

She has demanded that it is illegal to posess a loaded firearm in a private residence. What I would like is for him to be able to show her actual law that refutes her statement. Can someone point me to this? Thank you!

It is illegal to have a loaded firearm unsecured if there is a minor in the house- even if it's just for a visit.

That being said, presuming there are no minors present, you can sleep a loaded firearm under the pillow every night as far as the law is concerned. The right extends to things like campsites and RV's too (when stopped and used as a residence, not as a vehicle.)

Dark&Good
01-29-2009, 12:33 PM
What I would like is for him to be able to show her actual law that refutes her statement. Can someone point me to this? Thank you!

Looks like nobody got the question yet...

fairfaxjim
01-29-2009, 12:34 PM
PC12031. (a)(1) A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when he or she carries a loaded firearm on his or her person or in a vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a prohibited area of unincorporated territory.

PC12031. (b) Subdivision (a) shall not apply to any of the following:
(a) ...
(l) Nothing in this section shall prevent any person from having a loaded weapon, if it is otherwise lawful, at his or her place of residence, including any temporary residence or campsite.

By "if it is otherwise lawful" basically refers to whether or not you are a prohibited person from posessing firearms.

You are also authorized to posess a loaded firearm in your place of business, or as an employee if authorized by the business owner.
PC12031. (h) Nothing in this section shall prevent any person engaged in any lawful business, including a nonprofit organization, or any officer, employee, or agent authorized by that person for lawful purposes connected with that business, from having a loaded firearm within the person's place of business, or any person in lawful possession of private property from having a loaded firearm on that property.

Quiet
01-29-2009, 12:35 PM
What I would like is for him to be able to show her actual law that refutes her statement. Can someone point me to this? Thank you!

Penal Code 12031
(l) Nothing in this section shall prevent any person from having a loaded weapon, if it is otherwise lawful, at his or her place of residence, including any temporary residence or campsite.

Vacaville
01-29-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm a teacher and she shouldn't be pushing her personal views onto any of her students.

If she is doing the things you say, have your son document it and review it yourself to see if it really qualifies as personal bias and propaganda. If it is, then you should lodge a complaint with the local school board (the school Principal may sweep it under the rug) saying that she's indoctrinating the kids and provide evidence to support the claim. At the very least she is badly misinformed about 2A rights, and needs to be "re-educated".

SBOldMan
01-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Bingo! That was fast...thank you very much.

What I have found as far as with children present is this-

You may be guilty of a misdemeanor or a felony if you keep a loaded firearm within any premises that are under your custody or control and a child under 18 years of age obtains and uses it, resulting in injury or death, or carries it to a public place, unless you stored the firearm in a locked container or locked the firearm with a locking device to temporarily keep it from functioning.

Still not against the law to store loaded around kids...just not the smartest thing to do.

Thanks again!

Rumpled
01-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Here you go
Any person over the age of 18 who is not prohibited from possessing firearms, and if otherwise
lawful, may keep and carry a firearm or have a firearm loaded at his or her place of residence,
temporary residence, campsite, or on private property owned or lawfully possessed by the person.
(Penal Code 12026, 12031(
from
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2007.pdf
page 32 of the document, page 37 of the pdf

fairfaxjim
01-29-2009, 12:45 PM
BTW, you might want to gift her a copy of "How to Own a Gun & Stay Out of Jail" by John Machtinger. It's available at a lot of gun shops for about $10. Tell her that since she is injecting her personal opinions into areas that she shouldn't be, she might want to do her homework so as to not look like a complete moron to her students.

SBOldMan
01-29-2009, 12:46 PM
I have seen the homework sheets, full of Obama praises and Bush bashing. Pictures of President Bush trying to make him look stupid and pictures of Pelosi with quotes about how incompetent the Republicans are.

She tried to force him to finish this sentence yesterday-

President Obama is an eloquent speaker because _________.

He refused in front of his peers, stating that he did not believe it to be a true statement. She pushed and pushed the issue and finally offered for him to replace the name, so he tried these three names before she silenced him- George Bush, Bill Oreilly, Dick Cheney.

He finally ended his argument to her with "Count how many times President Obama says "uh" during his campain speaches..."

LOL....good kid!!!

Anyways...off on a rant here.

Thanks everyone...

I'm a teacher and she shouldn't be pushing her personal views onto any of her students.

If she is doing the things you say, have your son document it and review it yourself to see if it really qualifies as personal bias and propaganda. If it is, then you should lodge a complaint with the local school board (the school Principal may sweep it under the rug) saying that she's indoctrinating the kids and provide evidence to support the claim. At the very least she is badly misinformed about 2A rights, and needs to be "re-educated".

nick
01-29-2009, 12:58 PM
It is illegal to have a loaded firearm unsecured if there is a minor in the house- even if it's just for a visit.

That being said, presuming there are no minors present, you can sleep a loaded firearm under the pillow every night as far as the law is concerned. The right extends to things like campsites and RV's too (when stopped and used as a residence, not as a vehicle.)

Actually, it's illegal for the said minor to get the firearm in question and commit a crime with it, injure himself with it, etc. It's not illegal for it to be there or for the minor to handle it. It's just that the liability will be on the person letting the minor do that.

How do you think you're supposed to teach a minor how to shoot?

So basically, it's not illegal not to have a gun safe, or to keep a loaded gun outside of the safe if you have minors in the house. However, if they get a hold of that gun and do something stupid, you'll be prosecuted, unless you made a reasonable effort to prevent it, having the gun locked up being a part of it.

As for that teacher, she's simply confusing her desires with reality. Or maybe she figured that since Washington D.C. had that nonsense, the rest of the country is like that. Or, most likely, she just doesn't know much about the subject, and went with what she "felt was right", assuming that since it was right, then that's how it is.

Cato
01-29-2009, 1:02 PM

I don't think that's correct. You can have a loaded firearm around minors; however, should they get ahold of the firearm and hurt themselves or others, you may be liable.

7x57
01-29-2009, 1:05 PM
It's not illegal for it to be there or for the minor to handle it. It's just that the liability will be on the person letting the minor do that.

How do you think you're supposed to teach a minor how to shoot?

Well, to be totally honest you're not *supposed to*, as that would perpetuate the evil gun culture that is the only thing preventing the left from solving all the world's problems, but your point is rather that they haven't yet mustered the votes to make it illegal. :chris:

7x57

sorensen440
01-29-2009, 1:06 PM
I don't think that's correct. You can have a loaded firearm around minors; however, should they get ahold of the firearm and hurt themselves or others, you may be liable.
You are correct

fairfaxjim
01-29-2009, 1:09 PM
Bingo! That was fast...thank you very much.

What I have found as far as with children present is this-

Still not against the law to store loaded around kids...just not the smartest thing to do.

Thanks again!

Those are storage issues, not posession of a loaded firearm. Your question said posess a loaded firearm. Yes it is only illegal to store it loaded if a child gets it and uses it, and it was not in a locked container.

Also note that the exception to the loaded firearm law extends to temporary residences & campsites.

_Odin_
01-29-2009, 2:02 PM
Tagged for future reference :)

IGOTDIRT4U
01-29-2009, 2:09 PM

Heller. That's all he needs to say.

yellowfin
01-29-2009, 2:17 PM
Take up her indoctrination junk with the board next time around. Save photocopies of the homework stuff.

ViPER395
01-29-2009, 2:28 PM
:rofl2:

Fuzzy5
01-29-2009, 2:38 PM
...He refused in front of his peers, stating that he did not believe it to be a true statement. She pushed and pushed the issue and finally offered for him to replace the name, so he tried these three names before she silenced him- George Bush, Bill Oreilly, Dick Cheney.

He finally ended his argument to her with "Count how many times President Obama says "uh" during his campain speaches..."

LOL....good kid!!!

HA! Good kid indeed. Way to stick it to that liberal donkey of a teacher. I would be infuriated if she did that to my son.

M1A Rifleman
01-29-2009, 2:44 PM
Check the penal code. It's only illegal to store a firearm where a child may get access to it. Regardless, its wise to not have yoru son argue with her as the teacher will trash his grades - especially when he proves her wrong. Simply smile, node, and agree to all the crap she speaks knowing she'll never go beyond where she is.

TheBundo
01-29-2009, 3:47 PM
Check the penal code. It's only illegal to store a firearm where a child may get access to it. Regardless, its wise to not have yoru son argue with her as the teacher will trash his grades - especially when he proves her wrong. Simply smile, node, and agree to all the crap she speaks knowing she'll never go beyond where she is.

There are things more important in life than a bad grade given by a Nazi. I'd wear that bad grade as a badge of honor

M1A Rifleman
01-29-2009, 4:03 PM
There are things more important in life than a bad grade given by a Nazi. I'd wear that bad grade as a badge of honor

Nope, there's too much to risk in going up against one of those fools. In school they can really screw your record that will affect things beyond that particular class. Best to play smart and think about the future.

tube_ee
01-29-2009, 4:20 PM
Nope, there's too much to risk in going up against one of those fools. In school they can really screw your record that will affect things beyond that particular class. Best to play smart and think about the future.

This is not true.

Once you graduate from college, nobody cares about your high school grades.

Once you've had your first job after your degree, nobody cares about your college GPA.

I have a BSEE from SDSU. I dropped out of high school. It's never come up. And, applying for jobs within my field, only the entry-level, college-recruitment jobs ask about your GPA. After job 1.0, it's all about "what did you do in your last job, and how much money can you make for us?"

IOW, don't sweat it. High school is the least important part of your life.

--Shannon

Librarian
01-29-2009, 4:22 PM

Others have already pointed out the applicable bits of Penal Code.

Has your son suggested to the teacher that it is the responsibility of the one making the statement to provide support for it? Why does she think such a law exists?

Surely the teacher would downgrade a paper submitted for failing to support its arguments.

mblat
01-29-2009, 4:27 PM
You want an advice? Make your son to keep his mouse shot - otherwise he isn't getting good grade.... Ask me how I know... :eek:

JDay
01-29-2009, 4:33 PM
I have seen the homework sheets, full of Obama praises and Bush bashing. Pictures of President Bush trying to make him look stupid and pictures of Pelosi with quotes about how incompetent the Republicans are.

She tried to force him to finish this sentence yesterday-

President Obama is an eloquent speaker because _________.

He refused in front of his peers, stating that he did not believe it to be a true statement. She pushed and pushed the issue and finally offered for him to replace the name, so he tried these three names before she silenced him- George Bush, Bill Oreilly, Dick Cheney.

LOL....good kid!!!

Anyways...off on a rant here.

Thanks everyone...

You need to bring this to the attention of the school board, political views should not be forced on students. Supposed to be teaching people to think not to have others think for them.

tombinghamthegreat
01-29-2009, 4:51 PM
No it is not illegal. It is only illegal if a minor takes the gun and uses it in a crime. Now that being said i have 2 of my guns loaded and i have family members that have their guns loaded. Looks like the teacher is spreading FUD......

CA_Libertarian
01-29-2009, 9:40 PM

Citation please.

The only statute I am aware of requires that the minor actually access the firearm and does something with the firearm to violate the section. There are also exceptions (see below).

...(subsection (a) lists definitions)...

(b) (1) Except as provided in subdivision (c), a person commits
the crime of "criminal storage of a firearm of the first degree" if
he or she keeps any loaded firearm within any premises that are under
his or her custody or control and he or she knows or reasonably
should know that a child is likely to gain access to the firearm
without the permission of the child's parent or legal guardian and
the child obtains access to the firearm and thereby causes death or
great bodily injury to himself, herself, or any other person.
(2) Except as provided in subdivision (c), a person commits the crime of "criminal storage of a firearm of the second degree" if he or she keeps any loaded firearm within any premises that are under his or her custody or control and he or she knows or reasonably should know that a child is likely to gain access to the firearm without the permission of the child's parent or legal guardian and the child obtains access to the firearm and thereby causes injury, other than great bodily injury, to himself, herself, or any other person, or carries the firearm either to a public place or in violation of Section 417.

(c) Subdivision (b) shall not apply whenever any of the following occurs:
(1) The child obtains the firearm as a result of an illegal entry to any premises by any person.
(2) The firearm is kept in a locked container or in a location that a reasonable person would believe to be secure.
(3) The firearm is carried on the person or within such a close proximity thereto that the individual can readily retrieve and use the firearm as if carried on the person.
(4) The firearm is locked with a locking device that has rendered the firearm inoperable.
(5) The person is a peace officer or a member of the armed forces or National Guard and the child obtains the firearm during, or incidental to, the performance of the person's duties.
(6) The child obtains, or obtains and discharges, the firearm in a lawful act of self-defense or defense of another person, or persons.

ohsmily
01-29-2009, 10:01 PM

FUD

N6ATF
01-30-2009, 12:11 AM
Heller. That's all he needs to say.

Beat me to it.

gotgunz
01-30-2009, 12:52 AM
I can't believe nobody has asked the important question here.....

Is she hot?

randy
01-30-2009, 1:04 AM
1st Got guns asked the right question. 2nd It looks to me like you are going about this the wrong way ask her to show you the law that says it is illegal.

recshooter
01-30-2009, 1:41 AM
I can't believe nobody has asked the important question here.....

Is she hot?

LOL +1.

savs2k
01-30-2009, 2:46 AM
just go to a local gun shop and buy the .50 cent handgun safety booklet. It's in there. You still should answer the question, is she hot? Prove her wrong get detention go home happy.

M1A Rifleman
01-30-2009, 6:49 AM
This is not true.

Once you graduate from college, nobody cares about your high school grades.

Once you've had your first job after your degree, nobody cares about your college GPA.

I have a BSEE from SDSU. I dropped out of high school. It's never come up. And, applying for jobs within my field, only the entry-level, college-recruitment jobs ask about your GPA. After job 1.0, it's all about "what did you do in your last job, and how much money can you make for us?"

IOW, don't sweat it. High school is the least important part of your life.

--Shannon

My point is not some hair brained idea I dreamed up implying the horrible if you disagree. This issue has happened to others and it has been discussed on several occasions the last few years on conservative stations. Best to avoid the trouble until you get your degree(s).

Army
01-30-2009, 9:52 AM
My point is not some hair brained idea I dreamed up implying the horrible if you disagree. This issue has happened to others and it has been discussed on several occasions the last few years on conservative stations. Best to avoid the trouble until you get your degree(s).
So it is best to shut up and take it, while her patently false idiology gets injected into less well informed heads to further dilute American freedoms and liberties?

I say; stand up, look her straight in the eye, tell her she couldn't be more wrong, and recite the law verbatim. So she gives him a bad grade in High School, big deal. A 3.2 will get you in almost any college a 4.0 will.

But the better result, is his classmates will know the TRUTH.

M1A Rifleman
01-30-2009, 9:59 AM
So it is best to shut up and take it, while her patently false idiology gets injected into less well informed heads to further dilute American freedoms and liberties?

I say; stand up, look her straight in the eye, tell her she couldn't be more wrong, and recite the law verbatim. So she gives him a bad grade in High School, big deal. A 3.2 will get you in almost any college a 4.0 will.

But the better result, is his classmates will know the TRUTH.

No, its best to think with your brain and pick your battles. Its the old rule of not fighting with those that are in positions of higher authority that can make it worse. The other rule I learned that says it all is the only thing worse than an idiot is someone who argues with one.

Casual Observer
01-30-2009, 11:21 AM
FUD

No **** Sherlock. Didn't you read the four posts above you who actually just clarified the point rather than some simple three letter acronym?

It's not necessarily illegal, but it's more of a liability issue should the minor get a hold of it and do something illegal/ stupid with it.

I admit I was a bit off, but rather than simply post "FUD", why not take the extra effort and put something constructive down?

fallenknight308
01-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Have him tell her to go to google, click images and turn off the filters then have her type in tubgirl.

LOL

O dear god :puke:

CA_Libertarian
01-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Picking your battles is one thing. Cowering from a battle that picks you is another.

My junior year in high school, I was faced with a similar situation (though not political). I stood my ground, proved the teacher wrong (with her own text book, no less), and had the entire class laughing at her. The teacher later found what she thought was a good reason to get me thrown out of her class, but the district administrators didn't agree. Shortly after, she took a leave of absence and we got a new teacher.

There were still some repercussions, but well worth it. One teacher my senior year was a good friend of the aforementioned teacher. Let's just say it brought down my GPA a little. I ended up not graduating with honors (missed the cutoff by 0.05 GPA). I still easily got into the university of my choice (SAT scores mean more than .05 lost on a GPA). Most importantly, I developed as an individual by realizing the importance of challenging authority.

The moral of the story is that the teachers are risking their career if they mess with their students. They're not untouchable, so stop treating them like they're all-powerful. Don't let fear of false authority rule your life, and don't let that be the lesson you teach your children. Individuality is far more valuable than job prospects... unless the only thing you value is income potential.

DDT
01-30-2009, 11:50 AM
It is very important to teach your kids to not accept falsehoods in education. I spent much of my time in High School and especially college standing up to the politically biased professors. I was in a liberal arts program and the FUD was deep. Learning to form a persuasive argument and how to do the research to support your position are critical skills. Learning to accept being wrong gracefully comes in pretty high up there too.

That being said firearms is likely one spot to not pick a fight. All you need in this narrow area is for the teacher to tell the school counselor that she is worried about the safety of your child because you have unlocked firearms at home. Hell, I even had to fill out a survey at my son's pediatrician's office and one of the questions was "Are there any firearms in the household?" I lied. There are some issues where the authoritarians can make your life a living hell will little or no reason. Family Services is one of those authoritarians.

xxdabroxx
01-30-2009, 11:53 AM
do not let this one slide; an educator does just that, educate. By letting her spread more disinformation she is creating more anti's. This is something that we do not need in this state. If she, as an educator, is pushing her own personal beliefs on her students, that is wrong. She could leave open ended questions and let the students decide for themselves how they feel about a matter, but should not press her own views upon them.

gcrtkd
01-30-2009, 11:59 AM

Where do you live and what school/scool district is it?

I've mentioned in another thread that the common understanding is that our laws function on the principle of, "That which is not prohibited is legal." One cannot break the intent or the spirit of a law. They can only break the law as written. An earlier poster in this thread that the onus is on the teacher to back up her statement with a verifiable source. I agree. You and/or your son should demand that she provide a specific reference to a penal/health and welfare or other code section where having a loaded gun in a private residence. If there is no code section specifically banning this then it is legal.

Your other options are: 1) Write an editorial to your local paper outlining the incorrect indoctrination going on in your son's school.

or

2) Invite her over to your home. Advise her of the loaded gun on your hip and dial 9-1 for her. Ask her to call the police. When they come over they can tell her she's wrong. (Caution: I do not really advise this last option b/c, while it would be the most viscerally pleasing, it would be a waste of police resources and there's always the chance that she might claim that you brandished the weapon at her. Best to have an independant witness or Mr. VideoCamera running during this exchange.)

N6ATF
01-30-2009, 1:04 PM
Actually option 2 could work if you concealed it, wrapped it with alternating colors of electrical tape, and merely told her there is a gun on your person and it is completely legal to conceal a gun on your person within your own home, now call 911 if you think it isn't.

When the police get there, tell them that she never saw a gun, and they should first ask her what it looked like. Then when they lift your shirt or jacket, she'll be proven wrong, and cited with false report.

ohsmily
01-30-2009, 1:20 PM
No **** Sherlock. Gee, I didn't know it was so obvious how wrong you were. If it was so obvious, why didn't you get it right the first time Watson???? Didn't you read the four posts above you who actually just clarified the point rather than some simple three letter acronym? Didn't you read the law before posting "facts" about it? And no, after I saw your post full of BS, I immediately responded. I didn't bother checking to see if someone else had already set you straight.

It's not necessarily illegal It isn't illegal at all, but it's more of a liability issue should the minor get a hold of it and do something illegal/ stupid with it.

I admit I was a bit off, but rather than simply post "FUD", why not take the extra effort and put something constructive down?

I posted all I needed to in order to point out that what you said was wrong and ensure that others disregard you bull. Don't trumpet half truths as law. You stated it as fact. You didn't say "I think X." You were more than a "bit off." The information was flat out wrong. Posts like that cause infrequent users to read it and then spread it to their friends and perpetuate the nonsense.

John Browning
01-31-2009, 6:31 AM
Make a visit to the principal, and send a registered complaint via US Mail that is CC'd to the school board. Document EVERYTHING. It makes no sense to run from a fight that has found you. It is here, an your son will most definitely be screwed grade wise UNLESS you begin a trail of documented complaints of this teachers actions. Even better would be to get a voice recorder, conceal it, and record the teacher on one of his/her tirades. If you can prove the teacher is pulling this crap, and she knows you've gone to higher levels with the evidence, your kid will not suffer grade wise unless she is a total moron and hell bent on losing her job.

Document every single thing the teacher sends home, and get your kid to find a few friends who will let him keep their graded work. That way, if any issues of fairness in grading come up, and friend gets a B+ and son gets a C- for the same quality of work, you can prove discrimination.

I'm a teacher, and ****birds like your kids teacher should be banned from the classroom for attempting to brainwash kids into only one myopic view of the world. I keep my political views private, and actually teach the curriculum. Shocking!

Kid Stanislaus
01-31-2009, 9:35 AM

In other words, teach your own kid to just bend over and take it.

Kid Stanislaus
01-31-2009, 9:36 AM
Nope, there's too much to risk in going up against one of those fools. In school they can really screw your record that will affect things beyond that particular class.

For example?

Kid Stanislaus
01-31-2009, 9:52 AM
No, its best to think with your brain and pick your battles. Its the old rule of not fighting with those that are in positions of higher authority that can make it worse. The other rule I learned that says it all is the only thing worse than an idiot is someone who argues with one.

I don't know how big the town/city we're dealing with here but in these parts a letter to the editor of the local fishwrap would have a "chilling effect" on this kind of idiocy. School administrators do NOT like have negative publicity.

Fate
01-31-2009, 12:26 PM
Check the penal code. It's only illegal to store a firearm where a child may get access to it.Maybe you should read it again. ;)

It's only illegal if they access it *AND* take it to a public place/school, accidentally hurt themselves or others or use it in a crime. It's not illegal for them to shoot someone in self defense with it either.

...(subsection (a) lists definitions)...

(b) (1) Except as provided in subdivision (c), a person commits
the crime of "criminal storage of a firearm of the first degree" if
he or she keeps any loaded firearm within any premises that are under
his or her custody or control and he or she knows or reasonably
should know that a child is likely to gain access to the firearm
without the permission of the child's parent or legal guardian and
the child obtains access to the firearm and thereby causes death or
great bodily injury to himself, herself, or any other person.
(2) Except as provided in subdivision (c), a person commits the crime of "criminal storage of a firearm of the second degree" if he or she keeps any loaded firearm within any premises that are under his or her custody or control and he or she knows or reasonably should know that a child is likely to gain access to the firearm without the permission of the child's parent or legal guardian and the child obtains access to the firearm and thereby causes injury, other than great bodily injury, to himself, herself, or any other person, or carries the firearm either to a public place or in violation of Section 417.

(c) Subdivision (b) shall not apply whenever any of the following occurs:
(1) The child obtains the firearm as a result of an illegal entry to any premises by any person.
(2) The firearm is kept in a locked container or in a location that a reasonable person would believe to be secure.
(3) The firearm is carried on the person or within such a close proximity thereto that the individual can readily retrieve and use the firearm as if carried on the person.
(4) The firearm is locked with a locking device that has rendered the firearm inoperable.
(5) The person is a peace officer or a member of the armed forces or National Guard and the child obtains the firearm during, or incidental to, the performance of the person's duties.
(6) The child obtains, or obtains and discharges, the firearm in a lawful act of self-defense or defense of another person, or persons.

motorhead
01-31-2009, 2:37 PM
have junior put a tack on her chair!
truly, the hag needs to be disciplined for spreading fud and her own narrow viewpoint in the classroom.

markw
01-31-2009, 3:29 PM
Document everything, get one of those small portable recorders. She should be teaching english, not "praise the messiah." If this was my kid's school, there'd be hell to pay. This found your kid, not the other way around. Go to the principal, and then to the board. Documentation is key, I hope you still have some of the "homework" propaganda, and actually get her recorded.

M. Sage
01-31-2009, 4:33 PM

No. It's only illegal if you leave it out and a minor gets hold of it and does something illegal with it. It is not illegal to have a loaded or even unsecured firearm in your home when minors are present.

Canute
01-31-2009, 8:25 PM
If you want to avoid the third rail of guns, challenge her on her endorsement of specific candidates and agendas.

hvengel
02-01-2009, 1:10 PM
The advise about keeping records (or better yet audio recordings) and then using that later to "deal" with this teacher is a good one. Also if this teacher is as biased on as many subjects as it appears it will be quicker and easier to use issues other then RKBA when the time comes.

About 15 years ago I was working in a department that had a manager who was very sexist. It was so bad that even in an environment that was not at all PC everyone knew it was happening and wondered how this individual could get away with being so blatant about it. Later on I ended up working for this manager and one of the female workers in my group asked me what she should do about it. I advised her to keep notes on everything that happened and record everything about each incident; like what happened, when it happened, who was present and every other detail. Apparently she decided this was a good idea and her and one other female coworker started keeping a detailed log of incidents. About a year later they both went to HR with their detailed notes which had dozens of incidents documents. HR investigated and people who witnessed the events started getting phone calls from HR asking things like "were you there", "did this happen" and "were these isolated incidents". After a few week HR asked the two female employees what they wanted to happen and they both said that they wanted him to never be in a management position again and in only a few days he was demoted. I am sure that if either of them had said "I want him fired" that he would have been. My point is that the detailed documentation made what would have been a "he said, she said" situation that might have only resulted in the manager getting perhaps a reprimand into a very clear case that was resolved very quickly and resulted in the offending party getting disciplined very severely.

mister dize
02-01-2009, 4:42 PM
You need to tread carefully here. Does she know that your family owns guns? If she's that far left, chances are there will eventually be a "concerned call" to state social services, saying that you've got "assault weapons laying all around the house". They get involved, and it just gets ugly.

When I was a kid, my brother told his teacher that we had a pellet gun, which we did. He also said that we "shoot animals with it", which I guess is partially true because he did see me pop a ground squirrel once. Anywho, the school's Democrat patrol got involved, called the state, there was this investigation, social worker came to our house, and so on. Eventually it blew over, but it's not a good experience.

M. Sage
02-01-2009, 5:11 PM
I think the OP should have his kid pulled out of this harpy's class, to be honest.

dfletcher
02-01-2009, 7:00 PM
Teacher: It's illegal to have a loaded gun in your home.

Student: Prove it.

Repeat as needed - that should work, right?

Sniper3142
02-01-2009, 7:33 PM
Its the old rule of not fighting with those that are in positions of higher authority that can make it worse. [/I]

Man, I so do not agree with that kind of thinking.

That is what the Sheople do all too often.

:(

Stand your ground if you are sure about what you believe.

As someone once said...

'You don't have to stand tall in this life, but you do have to stand up."

Experimentalist
02-01-2009, 10:23 PM
I'd post something useful, but I'm still trying to recover from TubGirl. :eek:

Seesm
02-02-2009, 2:14 AM
Sounds to me like its a stupid teacher that has no right or reason to spouting anything but her jobs work to your son. Contact the school board...

My oldes kids teacher is trying to teach how Obama is a good thing... WTF? Anyway he's a 1st grader and he is setting her straight... :)

tombinghamthegreat
02-02-2009, 3:09 AM
I remember i had this super liberal antigun teacher a long time ago in high school. For fun i wrote a pro gun report for my essay and speech i had to give. I guess he was a bit shocked over the pro gun report. He was horrified when i was advicating that fully automatic weapons should be covered under the 2nd amendment.

Seesm
02-02-2009, 3:13 AM
fully automatic weapons should be covered under the 2nd amendment.

but I believe it is true as well...

motorhead
02-02-2009, 9:16 AM
photoshop teachers pic onto tubgirl for ramdom distribution.

KimoBBZ
02-02-2009, 12:39 PM
You want an advice? Make your son to keep his mouse shot - otherwise he isn't getting good grade.... Ask me how I know... :eek:

WHY would you have his son shoot a mouse... there isn't much meat on it.

;)

JustinStrife
02-03-2009, 12:11 AM
There's no way I'd let the teacher force that crap down my childrens' throats. Time to gather evidence and prepare to file a complaint at the minimum.

Tread lightly and don't fight authority? I wonder where we'd all be now if our Founding Fathers had this line of thinking...

DDT
02-03-2009, 2:12 PM
Tread lightly and don't fight authority? I wonder where we'd all be now if our Founding Fathers had this line of thinking...

They did follow this line of thinking for many many years until it was time to pick up arms.

stylett9
02-11-2009, 11:21 PM
sorry to bring back a somewhat old thread but I've been browsing now for some time trying to find out if it's legal for me to keep my AR loaded at home? With a "fixed" 10 round mag of course.

kap
02-11-2009, 11:49 PM
There are no laws that prevent you from having a loaded firearm in your home regardless of type.

cousinkix1953
02-12-2009, 12:36 AM
PC12031. (a)(1) A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when he or she carries a loaded firearm on his or her person or in a vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a prohibited area of unincorporated territory.

PC12031. (b) Subdivision (a) shall not apply to any of the following:
(a) ...

By "if it is otherwise lawful" basically refers to whether or not you are a prohibited person from posessing firearms.

You are also authorized to posess a loaded firearm in your place of business, or as an employee if authorized by the business owner.
PC12031. (h) Nothing in this section shall prevent any person engaged in any lawful business, including a nonprofit organization, or any officer, employee, or agent authorized by that person for lawful purposes connected with that business, from having a loaded firearm within the person's place of business, or any person in lawful possession of private property from having a loaded firearm on that property.
A merchant will shoot a rober every so often. He isn't arrested! The police will remind those educated idiot reporters, once again; that there is no law against having a loaded gun in your place of business or home. I guess this dorky anti-gun teacher doesn't even watch the liberal local newscasts...