PDA

View Full Version : HBAR meaning

ripcurlksm
01-29-2009, 11:17 AM
What does HBAR mean? (is it just a Bushmaster upper model? heavier barrel?)

freakshow10mm
01-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Heavy barrel.

ripcurlksm
01-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks. -- I was checking your website-- you need to have your webdeveloper add metadata keywords and description to your website. Your tags are blank

<title>Freakshow Manufacturing: You can kill it. We can help. - Freakshow Manufacturing LLC</title>
<meta name="Description" content=" ">
<meta name="Keywords" content=" ">

Bill Walton
01-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Heavy Barrel.

Don't ask why people say bbl for barrel. I can't figure that one out.

Bill Walton
01-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Heavy Barrel.

Don't even ask why they call a barrel a "bbl". I still don't understand that abbreviation.

freakshow10mm
01-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks. -- I was checking your website-- you need to have your webdeveloper add metadata keywords and description to your website. Your tags are blank
I am the developer. I don't mess with tags.

ripcurlksm
01-29-2009, 11:29 AM
I always thought bbl = bull barrel, which would make more sense

Shane916
01-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Don't even ask why they call a barrel a "bbl". I still don't understand that abbreviation.

It's the standard abbreviation for the word barrel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrel_(unit)

ripcurlksm
01-29-2009, 11:30 AM
OK!

elrcastor
01-29-2009, 11:30 AM
bbl ?= base barrel length

Shane916
01-29-2009, 11:31 AM
bbl ?= base barrel length

Read 2 posts above yours.

ke6guj
01-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Heavy Barrel.

Don't ask why people say bbl for barrel. I can't figure that one out.from the wiki link posted above.

The "b" may have been doubled originally to indicate the plural (1 bl, 2 bbl), or possibly it was doubled to eliminate any confusion with bl as a symbol for the bale. Some sources claim that "bbl" originated as a symbol for "blue barrels" delivered by Standard Oil in its early days; this is probably incorrect because there are citations for the symbol at least as early as the late 1700s, long before Standard Oil was founded.

supersonic
01-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Heavy Barrell.:thumbsup:

GenLee
01-29-2009, 1:32 PM
and the reason for HBAR Vs. Standard.?

bwiese
01-29-2009, 1:46 PM

The orig AR15/M16 started off with a thin "pencil" barrel: it could be warped/tweaked under 'solder tool use' conditions (including nontraditional bayonet usage to cut brush etc).

The M16A2 and AR15A2 adopted the "USGI profile" bbl which was heavier than the 'pencil' bbl at least up front (and maybe by the chamber area). It did taper under the handguards to a more slender profile. It was more robust than orig bbls and being a bit stiffer may not have deformed as much from firing from a rest, etc. (i.e, shift in impact position via differing rest/grasp positions).

HBAR was sold to civvies under the guise of being more accurate/heavier duty.
That's not really necessarily the case (though Colt bbls were pretty good).
It did save 'em some lathe time for quicker production though :)

JWC6
01-29-2009, 1:46 PM

Randall may want to chime in on this. Heavy barrel implies no contour, therefore less machining and less cost. For the AR platform, which I am assuming this question is referring to, there may be an advantage to accuracy but at a cost to additional weight versus a standard contour barrel.

EDIT. Bill beat me to the reply!

Brendan Sullivan
01-29-2009, 1:58 PM
There are also myriad arguments about the effect of barrel length/width ratio and contour on heat dispersion, uneven heating throwing your groups, barrel life, and harmonics. Too exhaustive to go into here, but the short of it is heavy barrels usually prove more robust and are less prone to stringing groups as they heat, as well as having less 'whip' when they vibrate as all barrels do.

Of course, you can open another whole can of worms with fluted barrels, and taper, and harmonic dampener devices, and...

elsolo
01-29-2009, 5:26 PM
....and none of it matters if you spend more time carrying your rifle than shooting it, and you are going for Minute-Of-Animal accurracy.

socomIInato
01-29-2009, 5:43 PM
some like the heavy feel, more controllable in rapid fire!

kermit
01-29-2009, 6:11 PM
HBAR used to refer to a specific Colt rifle model, probably derived from "Heavy Barrel AR". They still use it in their model names http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/rifles.asp.

It doesn't appear to be a trademark since I see that other manufacturers are also using it. I don't think it is used for bolt action rifles, but I haven't checked.

Salty
01-29-2009, 6:17 PM
A lot of the modern usage of "bbl" most likely comes from the car culture. 4 bbl carb, etc. And no, it's not a bull barrel carb...