PDA

View Full Version : Used gun- Can not start DROS for 3 weeks?

nic
01-29-2009, 6:13 AM
Hi all-
I have a question. A friend of mine went to Turners to purchase a used shotgun the other day. Apparently, although he paid for it in full, the guy behind the counter said that the shotgun could not be DROSed until Feb. 15, as they need to do some kind of background check on the gun since it's used. I've bought plenty of used guns and never heard about this. Is this some kind of new law? Turners FUD? I found it extremely sketchy.
Thanks for any info you can give me.
-Nic

hawk1
01-29-2009, 7:21 AM
They (and others) use a 30 day hold to check it out with DOJ. I think they do this with all consignments and trade in firearms.
Your not the first to run into this. A person would think they would wait to offer it to the public once it cleared, but they don't.

nic
01-29-2009, 7:47 AM
That is so bizarre. Why not just wait till the thing finishes its 30 day hold before they offer it for sale?

Thanks for the info, Hawk1.

FortCourageArmory
01-29-2009, 9:58 AM
Many cities term consignment guns as "pawn" items and have ordinances in place that require a 30-day hold before a transfer can be made. As for why such an item is put out for sale....the item has to be seen in order for someone to buy it. If I sell a 30-day hold gun today (even if it's still on hold), I have your $$ for it today. Not 30 days from now. It's simple economics.

nic
01-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Many cities term consignment guns as "pawn" items and have ordinances in place that require a 30-day hold before a transfer can be made. As for why such an item is put out for sale....the item has to be seen in order for someone to buy it. If I sell a 30-day hold gun today (even if it's still on hold), I have your $$ for it today. Not 30 days from now. It's simple economics.

Makes sense to me. I guess I've always just bought used guns that have passed the 30-day hold, so it's never happened to me before.

Thanks again for the info.

liketoshoot
01-29-2009, 11:14 AM
LOL, This is how I grab so many nice ones at my FFL, I look at them before the general public see's them, then I have to wait till they clear the 30 days, knowing this I don't complain but my waits are 40 days on some guns, of course if the FFl wants he can start the DROS at 20 days and IF it clears on the 30th it is good to go. If it does not clear I get my cash back, only happened once when the guy decided he wanted to give it to his kid.

The SoCal Gunner
01-29-2009, 11:23 AM
A person would think they would wait to offer it to the public once it cleared, but they don't.

Why wait to advertise the gun? From a sellers standpoint you want someone to put money down right away.

hawk1
01-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Why wait to advertise the gun? From a sellers standpoint you want someone to put money down right away.

Oh I understand perfectly well why they list them right away.
I was just quoting from a buyers point of view.

bohoki
01-29-2009, 1:23 PM
wow i wonder how much you could sue them for if they find the gun was stolen and offered it for sale

hmm isnt it a crime to accept money for a stolen item?

so they should be arrested for selling stolen property even if they offer a full refund cause you cant "unbreak the law"

hawk1
01-29-2009, 2:35 PM
wow i wonder how much you could sue them for if they find the gun was stolen and offered it for sale

hmm isnt it a crime to accept money for a stolen item?

so they should be arrested for selling stolen property even if they offer a full refund cause you cant "unbreak the law"

Seeing how you haven't received delivery, I doubt it...

Equally, you'd be guilty of buying stolen property then.

bohoki
01-29-2009, 11:21 PM
Seeing how you haven't received delivery, I doubt it...

Equally, you'd be guilty of buying stolen property then.

i doubt that would fly buying from a retail establishment assumes the purchase was made in good faith

and if you just need one you are totally screwed cause even if you buy 2 they will both be missing the same part