PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Registration AR15 upper??

ArcLight
01-29-2009, 2:41 AM
Hi all i am not sure if i am posting this question in the right area but here goes. If i am putting an AR15 together do i have to register my upper the same way that i have to register my lower?

gcvt
01-29-2009, 2:55 AM
No. The lower is all that matters...that's where the serial number is. There is not any kind of restriction or registration for uppers.

Rover
01-29-2009, 2:55 AM
Neither needs to be registered, unless you're building a pistol. The lower has to be transfered through an FFL, background check, and 10-day wait. None of the other parts are restricted or need any sort of paperwork in order to buy them. A 5 year old felon can buy an upper, no questions asked.

Bah, got beat by less than a minute.

bwiese
01-29-2009, 9:47 AM
If you "are putting an AR15 together" means you are assembling an SB23 full assault weapon with a variety of evil features and detachable magazine (or a semiauto firearm saying "Colt AR15" or other banned name on it), it needs to have been registered as an assault weapon at the appropriate time back in 2000.

Registration of such a firearm at this date now is currently not possible and possession would be illegal.

If, however, you are putting together an "off-list rifle" built on an AR receiver - which is just a semiauto centerfire rifle, either using a fixed 10rd magazine, or having no evil features and using a MonsterMan grip or U15 stock - it is not an assault weapon and does not have to be registered, just as long guns do not.

Barrels/AR uppers have no special controls on them (as long as they're 16" min bbl length)

JDay
01-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi all i am not sure if i am posting this question in the right area but here goes. If i am putting an AR15 together do i have to register my upper the same way that i have to register my lower?

You don't register long guns.

Seesm
01-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Nope.