PDA

View Full Version : upper and lower feel loose when put together

AlliedArmory
01-29-2009, 1:43 AM
i got a cmmg upper and a slr15 lower. when all assembled, its a little loose. it functions fine, but was wondering if there is some sort of spacer that can go between the two to make it a more tight fit. i searched around a but but have not found anything.

any suggestions?

NSR500
01-29-2009, 1:48 AM
Various ways to deal with this:

1. Bedding with something like JB Weld
2. JP tensioning takedown pin
3. Acuwedge
4. O-Ring on the front lug

Link to help you: http://home.comcast.net/~jesse99/AR_Wiggle.html

AndrewMendez
01-29-2009, 1:50 AM
Various ways to deal with this:

1. Bedding with something like JB Weld
2. JP tensioning takedown pin
3. Acuwedge
4. O-Ring on the front lug

I Dont know if I would use JB WELD, unless your going to sand it down... but thats a little too much work... does everything else fit together right?

AlliedArmory
01-29-2009, 1:52 AM
I Dont know if I would use JB WELD, unless your going to sand it down... but thats a little too much work... does everything else fit together right?

yes. everything else is fine. functions fine also. i think its just a pet peeve. but would love to have it fixed if possible

kaboom
01-29-2009, 1:53 AM
try this (http://www.cactustactical.com/osc/accu-wedge-for-ar15-rifles-p-131.html)

AndrewMendez
01-29-2009, 1:59 AM
try this (http://www.cactustactical.com/osc/accu-wedge-for-ar15-rifles-p-131.html)

For 4 bucks you really cant go wrong! If you noticed it enough to let it bother you, I say try it!

kaboom
01-29-2009, 2:11 AM
I have a Sun Devil lower with an adjustable set screw in the rear that does the same thing. It's one of the main reasons I got that model. I dislike firearms that rattle.

AlliedArmory
01-29-2009, 2:47 AM
i ordered the accu wedge and a few other goodies i needed. should be here next week. will report back

CRQuarto
01-29-2009, 3:18 AM
i ordered the accu wedge and a few other goodies i needed. should be here next week. will report back

Good choice. I am actually waiting for my upper to ship this week or next so I can finish my first AR build. I preemptively ordered an accuwedge a while back when I started building my lower, just in case. I figured for the four bucks, if I needed it awesome I already have it, if not, whatever! :p

818gtiguy
01-29-2009, 3:38 AM
I lost my accu wedge one time so I called ADDAX to order another one...Chris told me that I could use a foam ear plug temporarily until I get the new one. It works really well...the disposable foam ear plugs..

AlliedArmory
02-04-2009, 5:36 PM
accu wedge tightened it a little. still loose though. next thing ill try is the JP tensioning takedown pin. maybe with my next order

NSR500
02-04-2009, 9:04 PM
Try the O-ring on the front lug. It is under $2.00 and you can get it al Lowes or Home Depot.

AlliedArmory
02-04-2009, 9:27 PM
will try the o-ring tomorrow morning

Addax
02-05-2009, 12:22 PM
I typically use a foamy ear plug for .50 cents and I place it at the rear of the lower receiver. This works pretty good.

The o-ring solutions works good too.

AlliedArmory
02-05-2009, 2:14 PM
o-ring worked perfectly. wooo. no more wiggle

NSR500
02-05-2009, 4:29 PM
Glad it worked out for you. Sometimes the front lug is the problem as opposed to the rear.

dfletcher
02-05-2009, 4:37 PM
I hate the wiggle - drove me nuts, I don't care whether it hurts accuracy I just wanted to get rid of it. It should feel like I'm holding a rifle, not two halves of a rifle.

The JP back pin works well, but you do have to orient it properly each time you put it back.

I used Brownells steel bed acraglass on the bottom curve of the takedown hole in the upper. Coat the inside bottom of the hole just a touch - almost like skim bedding but on a minute scale. Harden for a few days then spend a long, long time fitting the upper to the lower. Remount upper to lower then close, slightly push in the rear takedown and dress down. Repeat about 50 times until the takedown can be tapped through very tightly. No wiggle, the gun feels like a single piece.

Along the lines of the SunDevil, seems to me it would be very easy to drill & tap through the rear takedown stud on the upper, use a headless set screw to protrude into the hole & take up the slack

missiontrails
02-05-2009, 4:58 PM
Use the Accu Wedge, then you will have to squeeze the two halves together.

KracknCorn
02-05-2009, 5:37 PM
I have a accu-wedge that worked for a little bit, then it started getting loose. Then I put the o-ring and everything is nice and solid.

rayra
02-05-2009, 7:55 PM
accu-wedge, but learn the painful joys of military loop sling techniques and it won't matter at all.