PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thread on Magpul PMAG Failures

QuickOnTheDraw
01-28-2009, 11:15 PM
There is a thread on Sniperhide that details an agencies use of PMAGS and how they are not reliable and are vulnerable to cracking and failure..

Here it is...http://www.snipershide.net/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=967146&gonew=1#UNREAD

Darklyte27
01-28-2009, 11:25 PM
interesting..

J_Rock
01-28-2009, 11:28 PM
There is a thread on Sniperhide that details an agencies use of PMAGS and how they are not reliable and are vulnerable to cracking and failure..

Here it is...http://www.snipershide.net/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=967146&gonew=1#UNREAD

Sounds like a dept is using out of spec rifles with messed up bolt catches and blaming the mags to me

technique
01-28-2009, 11:29 PM
interesting indeed!!!!

QuickOnTheDraw
01-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Sounds like a dept is using out of spec rifles with messed up bolt catches and blaming the mags to me

You must have done real well in school in reading and comprehension....LOL

J_Rock
01-28-2009, 11:52 PM
You must have done real well in school in reading and comprehension....LOL

Well then maybe a genius like you can enlighten me? I see that reposing someone else's comments from another forum and instantly believing them is the norm for low IQ people who cant critically think like you. So please tell me how and what could make these mags fail when everyone else's mags seem to run without issue? Maybe Im not the one who needs more schooling

Solidsnake87
01-28-2009, 11:53 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. GI mags have never failed me. Its not like the magpul offers something the GI does not. lol. I'd take an aluminum GI mag over a pagpul Pmag anyday.

4thSeal
01-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Sell me all your pmags now for 50% off retail!

All yours mags are belong to us!

nrakid88
01-29-2009, 12:03 AM
it kinda looks like all of these were hit by the bolt catches in the same spot...

Vinz
01-29-2009, 12:04 AM
Im just curious...but does anyones pmags look like these? They look like they are made of pressed fiber glass insulation.
http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt174/triadtactical/Pmag-2.gif

Im wondering if these are older versions? Mine look ok. I wonder if de burring this area would help?
Maybe this will drop the prices back to normal?

vinz

technique
01-29-2009, 12:09 AM

I would have to say you are right. All of them have a uniform impact mark wher the cracks start. Same place on every mag.:thumbsup: Good eye!

devildog999
01-29-2009, 12:17 AM
I think it's the rifles, not the PMags. I agree that it is a bit suspicious that those mags have the same crack in the same spot

acaligunner
01-29-2009, 12:19 AM
Hello, Isn't it true that some p-mags had issues, such as what is shown, and Magpul found out that some mags, (which where dated before such and such), had problems.

Magpul then put out a re-call~ to exchange these problem mags with newer p-mags.

At least that is what I heard.

acaligunner

fusionstar
01-29-2009, 12:19 AM
gi mags with magpul followers are +1

Im not going to be running over my mags with trucks any time soon. so its fine.

lumpia
01-29-2009, 12:38 AM
Check out m4carbine. Magpul admitted to having a bad batch during 2007.

Post #30:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=25395&highlight=dpms

Vinz
01-29-2009, 12:47 AM
ok, makes sence. Most of the mags he used were 2007 versions.

vinz

bwiese
01-29-2009, 12:59 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. GI mags have never failed me. Its not like the magpul offers something the GI does not. lol. I'd take an aluminum GI mag over a pagpul Pmag anyday.

Amen, brudda.

Clean USGI mags w/good lips, fresh springs and green followers work just fine.

Good enough for Uncle Sugar.

Flying Bones
01-29-2009, 8:56 PM
And to think I was goint to pay $40...haha. But really, I want one...for $15.

lehn20
02-06-2009, 1:57 AM
Between the rifles being out of spec and Magpul having a bad batch of mags being send out in 2007, I think the problem is solved!!
Pmags are the standard in todays magazine world, bar none!

Magpul will replace the old broken ones for free, if you still have any from that bad batch that went out!

Enough FUD already!

Darklyte27
02-06-2009, 9:32 AM
maybe they are using hess/vulcan lowers!! haha

shark92651
02-06-2009, 9:58 AM
I think this is probably a bit overhyped. They have been tweaking the mags since inception. Granted the quote below comes from a Magpul employee but assuming he is telling the truth it seems to be a pretty reliable product.

I run the Tech Support Department at Magpul and Drake's numbers are correct- we run about a .02% defective rate on average. We've sold over a million PMAGs so far with tens-of-thousands shipping every week and I can count on one hand the number of defective ones we get back on a weekly basis.

aplinker
02-06-2009, 2:23 PM
I think this is probably a bit overhyped. They have been tweaking the mags since inception. Granted the quote below comes from a Magpul employee but assuming he is telling the truth it seems to be a pretty reliable product.

They are.

USGIs have tons of issues, too.

If you're not breaking/damaging mags, you're not using them.

trinydex
02-06-2009, 3:10 PM
They are.

USGIs have tons of issues, too.

If you're not breaking/damaging mags, you're not using them.

but i don't wanna damage the nice plastic smell of my pmags, gotta keep 'em new in bag.

Xerxes
01-07-2010, 6:11 PM
Amen, brudda.

Clean USGI mags w/good lips, fresh springs and green followers work just fine.

Good enough for Uncle Sugar.

Why then is uncle sugar issuing a new magazine with a magpul type follower, with a corrosion resistant long cycle life spring (like the ever so popular ones in the consumer market)?

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htweap/articles/20100104.aspx

They are also looking for proposals from the industry for a design that keeps the Afghany talc powder out of the works with a closed design (no holes in magazine body, with other means for checking ammo load, and some kind of dust cover) and a flange or gasket type closed system design liek the ones that made those Canadian and Israeli plastic magazines so popular for so many years (flanged type design with the plastic lip/flange that closed up the gap between the magazine and receiver when the magazine was inserted into the rifle).

I have to admit the GI mags lips are much more forgiving on wear, especially from that sand, from dirty rifles or "out of spec" rifles. Then again they are more prone to damaged lips from impact damage.

Seems the commercial market has solved this with a "hybrid" lip design with the metal reinforced design.

Also if you like bling on your rifle, got to say the PMag and the like look sexier on those custom AR-15's (AR stands for Americas Rifle) with those flat tops with flip up sights and free floating rail hand guards and custom stocks.

Hardly anyone is going to use their rifle for self defense, while most folks are going to bring it to the range and be judged by their fellow shooters by the type and looks of rifle they shoot so lets get real and acknowledge that part of the criteria that the "typical" AR-15 owner uses in choosing magazines or accessories is the "cool" and "wow" factor meaning reputation within the shooting community and sexy looks when on the "AR-15".

Unfortunately for us in CA, we can only have so many PMags before the "I found it" defense would be hard for LE to accept (honestly, I was following this truck that was delivering 1000 PMags to the local LE I think when the entire case of magazines just fell off the truck and plopped into my car, I tried to find the rightful owners and shipper but could not).

Then again I did actually "find" two early style PMags at the range one day that were apparently left behind by some kind of LE or security agency I think. Only problem was they were pretty worn cosmetically on the outside but according to consensus here I could replace the bodies.

Most of the magazines I own are pre 1994 marked (GI issue plastic packaged by manufactures that also only made them as GI issue on or around those dates).

So since we in CA can not really own PMags, why does this story even matter to us in CA?

818gtiguy
01-07-2010, 6:13 PM
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/glockpoppin/NecroPost.jpg

technique
01-07-2010, 6:14 PM
Um...rebuilds...

a1fabweld
01-07-2010, 9:52 PM
How dare anyone talk smack about magpul! They make the tacticoolest stuff on earth! My world is shattered. I'm waiting for them to release their tactical pants, jackets, boxer/briefs, bandanas, & shoes. I'm gonna dress up super-Magpul tactical & shoot from the bench with my $5k magpul limited edition AR with the videos in each of my cargo pants pockets. Watch, YOU'LL SEE!:D

aplinker
01-08-2010, 12:05 AM
Xerxes, sounds like you want TangoDown mags.

shark92651
01-08-2010, 9:09 AM
So since we in CA can not really own PMags, why does this story even matter to us in CA?

Really? I'm not sure where you get your information but I sell more PMags than all the other brands combined to California customers.

bomb_on_bus
01-08-2010, 10:15 AM
My Pmags look nothing like that. They almost look like they are of counterfeit quality

MallNinja
01-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Are people STILL questioning the reliability of PMAGs??? It's like trying to point out that some Glocks have FTE's. They do but it's so uncommon that you really shouldn't give a crap.

NiteQwill
01-08-2010, 12:42 PM
This thread is olllllld.

RMTactical
01-08-2010, 1:05 PM
My PMAG's have all been great so far.