PDA

View Full Version : Mini-14 mag. problemo

Gem1950
01-28-2009, 9:02 PM
Anyone have any experience with John Masen Mini-14 magazines failing to hold the bolt open? If so - any solutions or fixes?

Thanks, J

jgraham15
01-28-2009, 9:11 PM
Anyone have any experience with John Masen Mini-14 magazines failing to hold the bolt open? If so - any solutions or fixes?

Thanks, J

Well some people have had good luck with John Mason mags. NOT ME! THEY SUCK BUTT!!! Do yourself a favor and get some 20 round factory ruger rebuild kits from 44mag.com and fix them to 10 rounds (there are a couple of threads here on how to do it with AR15 mags and the same technique will work for mini mags) and then you will have the most reliable 10 round mags available for a mini-14. Just my opinion though! :thumbsup:

DarkHorse
01-28-2009, 9:55 PM
I have experience with Masen mags not fitting into the magwell properly, not feeding properly, not holding the bolt open, being a PITA to remove...pretty much everything a mag is supposed to do, Masen mags do not do well. The way to fix them is to put them in a box in a back corner of your closet and take jgraham15's advice. More money involved, but less headaches and absolute reliability.

Well some people have had good luck with John Mason mags. NOT ME! THEY SUCK BUTT!!! Do yourself a favor and get some 20 round factory ruger rebuild kits from 44mag.com and fix them to 10 rounds (there are a couple of threads here on how to do it with AR15 mags and the same technique will work for mini mags) and then you will have the most reliable 10 round mags available for a mini-14. Just my opinion though! :thumbsup:

RedDawn
01-28-2009, 10:01 PM
John Masen products seem poorly made, IMHO. I've tried a John Masen scope mount for my M1A rifle. It couldn't hold a zero to, well, save a life...not literally in this case, thank goodness.

82A1CAL
01-28-2009, 10:07 PM
:laugh:John Mason mags! THEY SUCK BUTT!!!

maxicon
01-29-2009, 8:35 AM
I've got 1 Masen mag, and it feeds and works well, but doesn't hold the bolt open on the last shot reliably.