View Full Version : Steel targets

01-28-2009, 9:00 PM
With work being slow right now, I'm ending up with about 3 days of shop time instead of being in the field. This pretty much means drinking beer and washing/greasing my rig. Not much else to do, as its already been done lol.

We have a bunch of old steel well covers from monitoring well abandonment's and i was wondering how they would hold up to rounds. I figure if i have the shop time to kill, and there are plenty of old plates in the back, i could whip up some nice steel targets to take out to the desert. They are 3/8' - 1/2' thick diamond plated on one side. Im sure they will hold up to .22 and larger caliber handgun rounds, but how bout .223? At what distance do you think these plates would take hits without penetration? They would be set up as spinners, not on a solid stand.

also, im sure spinning targets would help greatly with richocets, but has anyone ever had one on this style of steel targets? I have read that most of the fragments hit the dirt when the target flips. Dont want to end up like the "christmas story" :D. " you'll shoot your eye out kid!"

01-28-2009, 9:18 PM
If they are mild steel, the 3/8" should hold up to .223, but will take some damage. Most .223 rounds leave about a 1/4" crater in mild steel, even at less than 20 yards (Don't try this at home :eek:). Once you increase the range to 200 yards and out, the .223 doesn't do much to steel plate at all.

308 will most likely penetrate the 3/8" plate, but 1/2" plate will stop pretty much everything except AP rounds. The 300 Win Mag will punch holes through 1/2" steel that look like they were drilled out with a 5/8" bit :thumbsup:

01-28-2009, 9:40 PM
I'm a newbie to this, but i went shooting a few weeks ago with my buddy and he has this armor plated round thing that we shot at and the .223 doesn't dent it and the .300 winmag doesn't do any dents either at < 100yd. He loaned it out to someone before and there are 2 huge holes right through it. No idea what the guy shot at it with, must have been .50 cal or something. It was cool to see though.

I gotta bring some of my old rotors out to the desert when i finish my build :)

01-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Use an IDPA target as a template and make a bunch of these. Make 2 A-frames with the tops crossed about 6". Add 2 crossed 2"x4"x10' to connect the 2 A-frames. Drop a 4"x4"x8' into the notches at the top of the A-frames. Hang 2 steel targets off the 4"x4". Place them at 25yds and 50 yds for handguns. Place them at 100 yds, 150 yds, 200yds...for rifles. You now have a *****in' range!!! Also, don't shoot anything closer than 100 yds with rifles...you may get some bounce back and that ain't a good thing.

01-28-2009, 10:43 PM
I gotta bring some of my old rotors out to the desert when i finish my build :)

I have a pair of 11'' rotors but, has anyone tried this? Good or bad idea?

01-29-2009, 12:05 AM
I have a pair of 11'' rotors but, has anyone tried this? Good or bad idea?

other than the only way to hit them is to miss the bullseye?