PDA

View Full Version : Monsterman Grip Won't Fit on Receiver

Shotgun Man
01-28-2009, 9:22 PM
My new monsterman grip won't fit on my new CMMG receiver. The slot/channel on the MMG where you slide it onto the receiver is too narrow. Is this common? Do I sand it?

skkeeter
01-28-2009, 9:24 PM
Yeah it's common, but it will fit. Wedge a large flathead between the slot to expand it a little and slide it on the receiver just a little. Remove screwdriver and push it on all the way. Don't sand or cut anything.

Shotgun Man
01-28-2009, 9:26 PM
Yeah it's common, but it will fit. Wedge a large flathead between the slot to expand it a little and slide it on the receiver just a little. Remove screwdriver and push it on all the way. Don't sand or cut anything.

Thanks!

fairfaxjim
01-28-2009, 9:32 PM
:iagree:

sorensen440
01-28-2009, 9:33 PM
Yeah they can be a tight fit (thats a good thing IMO)
with some force and possibly the aid of a screwdriver you should be able to get it on.

domokun
01-28-2009, 10:41 PM
All my MMGs that I've installed so far on my ARs are a VERY tight fit. You just need to work with it and get it started. Once you get it started, you can carefully tap it into place and put in the pistol grip screw to finish the job.

soopafly
01-28-2009, 11:47 PM
If nothing else works, you could always try heating up the MMG and sticking the receiver in the fridge...

MonsterMan
01-29-2009, 7:24 AM
Try this. It should work the same as it does with the AK adapter. Put the grip up to the receiver and put the receiver in the wide part of the grip near the bottom of the channel. Then push it on. I haven't seen anyone not get one on yet. If this method does not work, then the screwdriver method does. Just pry open the tabs and slip the receiver in. It won't break. It is made from glass filled nylon. Extremely strong material. The only stronger material I could go up to was another nylon that wouldn't melt even in a fire. But I figured that was over kill.

I apologize for the tight fit. I had the grip designed to fit perfectly on. But when it comes out of the mold at the manufacturer, the grips are extremely hot. They shrink as they cool down. This is actually accounted for in the design. So when they are done shrinking, they should fit perfect. Well, sometime after that, I am assuming when they package them, the tabs get squeezed a bit and they must still be warm enough to flex and cool into that new position. I think it is the plastic bags that they are put into that is squeezing them. I used to not have them in little bags, but they tended to scratch each other in the box as they were shipped. So I switched to bags and now they are pristine, just a little tight to get on.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/waynestudiosllc/akadapterfit.jpg

trinydex
01-29-2009, 9:25 AM
Yeah they can be a tight fit (thats a good thing IMO)
with some force and possibly the aid of a screwdriver you should be able to get it on.

troof

Nikola
01-29-2009, 12:22 PM
I pried it apart with a screwdriver and tapped it on with a mallet.

Toolbox X
01-29-2009, 12:46 PM
CMMG receivers have an extra thick pistol grip mount. They are hard to get U-15 brackets on to as well.

Every time someone touts something as being awesome because it's "mil-spec" I laugh. That's like saying they are proud because the thing is at totally random tolerances. Try designing parts to fit on every AR receiver out there and you will learn what "mil-spec" means.

cqbdude
02-05-2009, 6:54 PM
I installed mine with no issues...It didnt fit either, so I used a longer screw to install the grip initially. Once the thread started, the more I turn the screw the more the grip widened and eventually went right in..

Great fit BTW....love my new grip..

dwtt
02-05-2009, 8:46 PM
\ Put the grip up to the receiver and put the receiver in the wide part of the grip near the bottom of the channel. Then push it on. I haven't seen anyone not get one on yet. \
Hey, wait a minute. Mine didn't fit, and I had to get a replacement from you. I guess I was the one in a million.

By the way, when is the FAL grip going to be available? Did I miss the memo?

becxltoo984
02-05-2009, 8:55 PM
Hey, wait a minute. Mine didn't fit, and I had to get a replacement from you. I guess I was the one in a million.

By the way, when is the FAL grip going to be available? Did I miss the memo?

I have also been waiting for a Monster Grip for my Fal . Any time soon ?

fusionstar
02-05-2009, 9:05 PM
My MIAD was tighter than my MMG. Because the way magpul poured it, it had burs and pieces of plastic everywhere. My MMG came out PERFECT. I would use it more if I could afford ammo. If I put my prebans on.. I seem to go through 30rd mags like turkish rambo goes through RPG's. The MIAD grip I got was a disaster. I had to trim the excess material with a knife to get it to fit..