PDA

View Full Version : Is a First Date to the Firing Range not a good idea?

RogueSniper
01-28-2009, 6:08 PM
But let me preface that ...
The gal I'm interested in has mentioned interest in firearms and has taken the Hunter's Safety Course class. She and I are going to the same school and share some similar interest. She knows I shoot, but has never mentioned to me about my firearms, probably out of respect for my privacy.

Well, I figured, let's go shooting, but taking a girl out to the firing range seems kind of ... well to put it bluntly ... "You know you're a Redneck if you take a girl to the shootin' range on a first date!" :)

We've gone to lunch on a couple occasions but that was pretty casual. I was thinking about doing something interactive and fun (loud fun). Movies are out - who wants to sit for 2 hours in the dark and not talk?

Joe
01-28-2009, 6:36 PM
Movies are out - who wants to sit for 2 hours in the dark and not talk?

*waves*

sounds like a great date to me

movie zombie
01-28-2009, 7:07 PM
i think its ok. she's got an interest. you've already been casually out to lunch....why not casually out to the range? with dinner or coffe after?

movie zombie

Vectrexer
01-28-2009, 7:15 PM
sounds good.

stphnman20
01-28-2009, 7:18 PM
Yeah take her to the range. Even better, take her to some BLM and shoot there.. Just the two of you.

sorensen440
01-28-2009, 7:19 PM
Yes but only if she is into guns
I took Shelly to the range for our second date and it went very well.

B.D.Dubloon
01-28-2009, 8:39 PM
When I saw the thread title in this forum I thought it was a lady asking. I said to myself "that's hot." I want an assertive lady to take me to the firing range.

Anyway, hell yeah, you can't have a bad day shooting, so go for it.

BDD

popndrop
01-28-2009, 9:30 PM
I gotta put in my $.02
I just got married (7 months ago yesterday :) ) - and our first date was to the shooting range. We went to shoot trap and skeet at Oaktree Gun Club in So Cal (north of LA). It was her first time shooting shotguns (she'd shot pistols a few times prior), and she had a blast. We've been together now for about 3.5 years and we still shoot together on a regular basis. She wasn't the kinda gal who you'd expect to be out on the range (she went to Berkeley and was kinda left leaning when I met her), but just last week she beat me fair and square at a round of skeet. She also hunts with me now as well (hated the idea at first) and she's pretty good at that as well.
And I ain't no Redneck either (per first post) - I'm a fairly successful young (early 30's) professional with brownish skin ... so take your girls shooting and be proud about it.
There is a movie called "The Tao of Steve" - and in it the main character "Steve" is telling his buddy something along the lines of 'Do something excellent' in front of your girl - Here is the exact quote:
And this takes us to the second rule of Being Steve: You have to do something excellent in her presence, thus demonstrating your sexual worthiness.

Best of luck with your dating.

Axewound
01-28-2009, 10:40 PM
chicks dig shooting guns

savs2k
01-29-2009, 12:04 AM
ok since no one said it i'll do it. I don't think it's a good idea for a FIRST date. A second is a good idea though. I only say this because on a first date you wanna make a good impression and have some nice convo. It's pretty hard to talk with earplugs and gunshots.

xxxx
01-29-2009, 3:20 AM
I don't think that counts as a real first date. Do lunch first at least, be a little romantic, and make sure to lock the slide back for the lady - it is only gentlemanly.:p

Ballistic043
01-29-2009, 5:22 AM
normally i would say yes, but really it depends on who you are taking. on what basis did she bring up firearms?

did you influence it or did she just come out and say "by the way i took a hunter safety course"? if she is open about it, then she will be open to the experience. if you influenced it, perhaps you should wait for the 2nd. but just keep in mind you can't really get to know someone in a shooting lane. afterward you should consider following up the shooting with a 'nice' dinner somewhere. or go the other way, and have a nice lunch/dinner followed with a shooting session.

either way, youre lucky to find a girl who shows a positive interest in shooting

chris
01-29-2009, 5:39 AM
i say go for it. that sounds like a great first date. you both have something in common and it should be fun. hopefully you both have a good time and may do it again.

Annie Oakley
01-29-2009, 7:18 AM
I think that shooting is a good ice breaker, just like having dinner, going to the gym, or anything else that allows conversation with it. And that's really what it's about. You are doing something that both of you like doing, and you are doing it with someone you like.

Linus
01-29-2009, 8:35 AM
In this case I'd say YES!!! I mean she made the effort to take the hunter's safety course for gods sake, shell love you taking her to the range since she's obviously interested in firearms.

pullnshoot25
01-29-2009, 9:47 AM
DO IT!

gn3hz3ku1*
01-29-2009, 12:42 PM
my gf asked me to take her to range... now she is my gf

gimmejr
01-29-2009, 3:42 PM
I took my gf to the range on our first or second date(cant remember). She tried to impress me with a low cut shirt, a bullet went down her shirt and gave her a scar. I felt bad after becuase I knew that might happen.

xxdabroxx
01-29-2009, 3:53 PM
I think its a good idea, however, i would warn her about attire before hand.

plm61
01-29-2009, 6:19 PM
Yeah take her to the range. Even better, take her to some BLM and shoot there.. Just the two of you.

I like it!

Wildflowers will be blooming in the desert soon. How 'bout a romantic picnic lunch...with some target practice to whet the appetite?

Just don't mix up the salad dressing with the Break-Free.

DedEye
01-29-2009, 8:56 PM
ok since no one said it i'll do it. I don't think it's a good idea for a FIRST date. A second is a good idea though. I only say this because on a first date you wanna make a good impression and have some nice convo. It's pretty hard to talk with earplugs and gunshots.

I agree. Second date.

RogueSniper
01-30-2009, 8:06 PM
We're trying to set up a lunch date at the California Culinary Academy. That will be the First Date.

Okay, firepower is next ... .22LR through .45ACP and everything in between.

My last girlfriend coveted my Sig P226, but couldn't shoot very well, but loved that Sig! Even when a hot casing dropped into her cleavage, she still loves shooting! I think she works for the DOJ in Sacramento, now.

eijjie33
01-30-2009, 8:16 PM
well come to think of it will always end in a bang :D

popndrop
01-30-2009, 9:56 PM
We're trying to set up a lunch date at the California Culinary Academy. That will be the First Date.

Okay, firepower is next ... .22LR through .45ACP and everything in between.

My last girlfriend coveted my Sig P226, but couldn't shoot very well, but loved that Sig! Even when a hot casing dropped into her cleavage, she still loves shooting! I think she works for the DOJ in Sacramento, now.

another of my $.02...
My wife, my then girlfriend, really liked my 1911's - but they are a little rough on her, so her favorite guns are now my .38's - they are strong enough to feel like they're really shooting a gun, yet gentle enough to be able to shoot a hundred rounds or so....oh and she really likes the FN 5.7 too.

armygunsmith
01-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Great Idea. Go for it!

RogueSniper
02-01-2009, 9:56 PM
What I find interesting with Gals and Guns - their attitude switches back and forth. If they find out I have firearms, first it's "eww! You have a gun?!" then it's "can we go shooting?"

:D

I don't think any my buddies, who aren't interested in firearms, are like that at all.

I'm now thinking of combining Lunch and Shooting. I wish I was in SoCal. You guys have all the nice outdoor ranges. NorCal ones are so darn far away from the San Francisco Peninsula.

movie zombie
02-01-2009, 10:08 PM
have you been to the los altos rod and gun range up on skyline? nice grounds and they even provide picnic tables.

yes, it is a hike from sf but its a gorgeous ride if you take highway 35/skyline all the way.

movie zombie

Tweak338
02-01-2009, 10:49 PM
I say you take her to Los Altos. Tin Can range is for the win. Her smile will be priceless when she can see that she hit her target.

RogueSniper
02-01-2009, 11:35 PM
I'll start looking into the Los Altos Range. She lives in Milpitas, but I'll be doing the driving, loading, reloading, and spotting. If I plan it right, it should be a great day.

We just have to find the right day! Scheduling, scheduling, scheduling ...

Jpach
02-02-2009, 12:37 AM
I think I may take this girl Im starting to chat with to the shooting range. Her dads guns got burnt in a fire :(

movie zombie
02-02-2009, 10:11 AM
from milpitas: do not do take bear creek road off highway 17 and then right onto skyline! i repeat do not do this! bear creek road is bad enough going up but the first 4 miles on skyline are slow slow slow!

you could take 17 to los gatos and then highway 9 to saratoga and on up to skyline...turn left at skyline. nice enough drive but not as nice as skyline from 92 or 84 to the range.

its a really nice range.

mz

bigworm
03-05-2009, 1:03 PM
I was just talking about this topic with a few chicks. and it seems like a great idea as long as there is time after and before to get to know each other. Even if she doesnt join a gun club the next day, it will defiantly offset the last 100 "dinner and a movie" dates she's had.

Its not only fun to us guys, but its emotionally, mentally and physically stimulating to women. of course, dont come off like a redneck, this means you may need to remove your gun rack from your 87 bi-toned ford pickup truck for the night... unless she's into that kinda thing.. =P

Bongos
03-05-2009, 1:34 PM
[QUOTE=RogueSniper;1961404] Well, I figured, let's go shooting, but taking a girl out to the firing range seems kind of ... well to put it bluntly ... "You know you're a Redneck if you take a girl to the shootin' range on a first date!" :)

QUOTE]

then you should be right at home at Iron Sights Shooting range in Oceanside, there are more women at that place than any range I've ever visit. Most are in their 20's and very good looking!

paintballergb
03-05-2009, 3:10 PM
It's a good idea if she is into that sort of things. Often times girls like guys to be different, a date at the range is definitely not the norm.

dexter9659
03-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Its a splendid idea! As stated before, she has taken the Hunters Safety, so I do not see a conflict in her likes. Plus if she didnt like shooting... what use is she? Something like not liking shooting is a deal breaker for me and many others here. Oh a word of advice... make sure you are the best one out on the range that day. ;)

massive-J
03-06-2009, 11:56 AM
that is a good idea i work at a range and i see some fine looking females in their on dates

RogueSniper
03-06-2009, 3:16 PM
hahaha! :)

I don't have a wandering eye, so extra Ladies at the range will not distract me.

Well, Ladies (and Gentlemen), I am going to take your advice and ask her out on a date at the firing range. Our school finals will be over in about three weeks so we'll have time to go out.

I know she like rifles, and I've got a nice combination for her to choose. Or, if she wants the boom of handguns, I've got a nice slew of those, too.

:)

NRAhighpowershooter
03-06-2009, 5:28 PM
I took a women to TargeMasters on a first date about 22yrs ago.. she had a realy good time... got her started on 22lr pistols and then went to a 1911 and finished off with a 357mag... at 7yds she kept all the 45 and 357 rounds in the black.... on another note.. about 25yrs ago I took a woman fishing on a first date.. she brought her 4yr old with us... had a great time.. her 4yr old caught 3, 18" rainbows...

domokun
03-06-2009, 8:01 PM
I took a women to TargeMasters on a first date about 22yrs ago.. she had a realy good time... got her started on 22lr pistols and then went to a 1911 and finished off with a 357mag... at 7yds she kept all the 45 and 357 rounds in the black.... on another note.. about 25yrs ago I took a woman fishing on a first date.. she brought her 4yr old with us... had a great time.. her 4yr old caught 3, 18" rainbows...

Did you end up keeping one of these fine ladies or is the one and the same lady? :D

stockranger
03-06-2009, 8:47 PM
definently go with 1 or 2 dates like dinner or something. then move onto guns and fishing. Only the ugly desperate chicks still wanted to see me after fishing on a first date lol.

JJ1911
03-06-2009, 10:32 PM
I did not bring my lady to the range for our first date, but I wish I had.

Manic Moran
03-12-2009, 4:15 PM
My (Now) wife went with me to the range for a first date. Great excuse to make physical contact. "Put your hands here, like so..."

Oddly enough, I met my previous GF at a range as well.

A hell of a lot more interesting than a movie. You're forced to actually talk. If you just aren't clicking, then great, you get to blow something up anyway.

NTM

pullnshoot25
03-12-2009, 4:19 PM
My (Now) wife went with me to the range for a first date. Great excuse to make physical contact. "Put your hands here, like so..."

Oddly enough, I met my previous GF at a range as well.

A hell of a lot more interesting than a movie. You're forced to actually talk. If you just aren't clicking, then great, you get to blow something up anyway.

NTM

YAY!

stockranger
03-12-2009, 4:23 PM
I don't think there is much talking on the range but alot of yelling over the ear plugs and muzzleblasts lol:walkman:

11Z50
03-12-2009, 8:53 PM
I have a number of lady clients I take to the range for training on a regular basis, as part of a monthly retainer. Yes, I get paid to take ladies shooting. Part of that is because I'm a trained and educated professional, and part of that is because I'm a nice guy;).

To get back to the OP, just be nice, and if the lady has an interest in learning to shoot, you will know. Go take her, be nice, and things will work out :thumbsup:

Vtec44
03-13-2009, 11:31 AM
2 hours in the dark and not talk?

That can turn out really good depends on how you played your cards :D j/k

rue
03-13-2009, 12:05 PM
Ah that's awesome. I'd marry her on the spot

pax
03-13-2009, 12:40 PM
An unsuccessful first date involving a gun... (http://www.standard.net/live/news/166556)

p7m8jg
03-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Maybe not the first, but definitely the second or third. I did and I've been with her for 26 years.

And she still thinks the smell of Hoppes No.9 is a cologne for men....

Shantel
03-16-2009, 2:00 PM
I've gone to the shooting range plenty of times with the boyfriend and his friends. I dont always shoot but I still enjoy it. If she seems interested in firearms I dont see why it would be a bad idea.. ask her! plus, you've already gone on a couple of casual dates.. just take the risk she might just be better than you (;

Steyrlp10
03-16-2009, 3:51 PM
Absolutely. My first date was to a bass tournament many moons ago in January on Berryessa. It was about 35 degrees all day, but I won Big Fish. My BF (now husband) decided it was alright for me to stick around with him at that point.

To be fair, on the second date, I took him to the range to show him that I wasn't kidding when I said I can shoot. (I could feel him rolling his eyes at me when he was standing in back, watching.) We had a great time; the guys running the range had a good laugh watching us trying to outshoot each other.

I have since added all of my guy's 1911s to my own collection. I just make sure I keep him in tackle, so that's a fair swap!

Dragonfly
04-18-2009, 5:20 PM
I've had a few shooting dates as first, second, third and so on...and I've seen women on dates at the range. Make sure she is interested in shooting and by the fact that she did take a Hunter Safety course that is a good sign. I would suggest to have a nice dinner somewhere afterwards. At least in my case, shooting is relaxing so the conversation should flow easily....
Oh, when I say nice I'm talking about a casual dinning place - Applebee's, Outback, etc....

Yes, I married the guy I met at the range when he worked there....So dates at the range can work....

Dr. Peter Venkman
04-19-2009, 4:08 AM
Whatever venue allows for you to get to know the other person, every time you see them, is the best venue.

Tillers_Rule
04-19-2009, 11:47 AM
I haven't taken first dates to the shooting range, but I have taken dates and they've always enjoyed it. Good times indeed:)

The girl I'm seeing now has been asking me to go back, but I'm afraid to shoot my ammo right now because I don't know when I'll be able to replace it!!!

KylaGWolf
04-19-2009, 9:17 PM
Absolutely. My first date was to a bass tournament many moons ago in January on Berryessa. It was about 35 degrees all day, but I won Big Fish. My BF (now husband) decided it was alright for me to stick around with him at that point.

To be fair, on the second date, I took him to the range to show him that I wasn't kidding when I said I can shoot. (I could feel him rolling his eyes at me when he was standing in back, watching.) We had a great time; the guys running the range had a good laugh watching us trying to outshoot each other.

I have since added all of my guy's 1911s to my own collection. I just make sure I keep him in tackle, so that's a fair swap!

Ok you just made me homesick. I miss berryessa badly sometimes. But I so do NOT miss the Vacaville summers LOL

CnCFunFactory
04-19-2009, 11:40 PM
i think its ok. she's got an interest. you've already been casually out to lunch....why not casually out to the range? with dinner or coffe after?

movie zombie

My sentiments exactly!:thumbsup:

Sinixstar
05-09-2009, 11:46 PM
I wouldn't - but not so much for the redneck factor.

This is just me - but I have a policy of not taking someone to the range unless I have a pretty firm grasp of what their experience level is before hand. That's not to say I wouldn't take someone of any experience level - I just need to know what it is beforehand. If I'm taking an absolute beginner, i'm going to treat them a little differently there then someone who I know is experienced.
If you take an unknown to the range, you run the risk of doing one of two things. A) talking/acting in a way which can come off as arrogant to someone who is experienced, or B) turning an absolute beginner loose with guns - after assuming they're more knowledgeable then they really are.
The consequences can run the range of mildly embarrassing- something you might laugh about over a beer after words, to downright fatal.

My advice - not on a "first date". Get a better grasp of where she's at knowledge/experience wise first.

Sinixstar
05-09-2009, 11:49 PM
I haven't taken first dates to the shooting range, but I have taken dates and they've always enjoyed it. Good times indeed:)

The girl I'm seeing now has been asking me to go back, but I'm afraid to shoot my ammo right now because I don't know when I'll be able to replace it!!!

Tell her if she can find the ammo - you'll take her, even pay her back for the cost. Let someone else run around town on your behalf for a little while - lol.

Sinixstar
05-10-2009, 12:53 AM
Crap - another old thread.

I didn't even see the dates on these. Sorry for the resurrection. :banghead:

RogueSniper
05-10-2009, 1:48 AM
Sinixtar, you're not bringing up really old thread, just a bit dusty. :)

Actually, I decided to not make it a first date, but more of a fun outing for both of us and to figure out her thoughts on shooting. We'll go out for some more shooting if she wants to, but I think I'll make it a group thing. She's not a new shooter, not really. She's not terribly experienced with a firearm, but had some harsh tries with a shotgun and clays. We'll start off easy with .22's and move on to bigger calibers, at her pace. We'll do what she likes in order to focus on the fun factor. And as someone mentioned, yelling at each other with ear protection can be annoying! :eek:

Canute
05-10-2009, 2:12 AM
I wish I could get my wife to shoot.
She's only done it for her compulsory service in China. I think it's important for potential spouses to know what you're into and accept it.

proudamerican831
05-10-2009, 2:27 AM
deleted

pTa
05-25-2009, 6:19 PM
I dunno, one of my fave dates went from the range to drinks and dinner.

Meplat
05-25-2009, 9:02 PM
An unsuccessful first date involving a gun... (http://www.standard.net/live/news/166556)

If she sticks with you after a gaff like that it's true love!:thumbsup:

Meplat
05-25-2009, 9:10 PM
I've gone to the shooting range plenty of times with the boyfriend and his friends. I dont always shoot but I still enjoy it. If she seems interested in firearms I dont see why it would be a bad idea.. ask her! plus, you've already gone on a couple of casual dates.. just take the risk she might just be better than you (;

The experience of coaching Jr. High and High School shooting teams has taught me that young women are often better shots than young men. So be prepared to have your socks shot off. It seems to be a mental thing. 90% of shooting is between the ears. Girls do it for fun and listen to their coach. Boys have their manhood all wrapped up in it and think if they are not natural John Wayns they are inadequate.

Meplat
05-25-2009, 9:16 PM

If you do not have enough ammo or at least components socked away, she should reject you as an unreliable provider.

:p

Meplat
05-25-2009, 9:19 PM
Tell her if she can find the ammo - you'll take her, even pay her back for the cost. Let someone else run around town on your behalf for a little while - lol.

Good idea, women love to shop!

jamespres2001
05-26-2009, 8:01 AM

Good impression YES. But maybe Breakfast / Lunch first to talk about range safety and what to expect i.e. go over the basic safety rules, eyes, ears, range officer. Remember most women like the protector roll of men and by doing this she will see how you two can have fun and respect you, teach her something, this will show her your true personality) then on to the range , . Or range then Lunch then you will have something to 'talk' about. But don't only talk about guns remember ask about some of her activities IMO