PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garands

rc50cal
01-28-2009, 6:53 PM
Somebody help me please. I have come down with a case of Garanditis and my fiancee almost left me when I came down with BRD. Also, I can't decide if should go with the HRA Correct grade rifle from CMP or if I should go for a SA. Does anyone know if the CMP still has service grade SA M1s that were built during the war? If so, can you ask them for one when you order? Thank you for your help.

EBR Works
01-28-2009, 6:57 PM
I would go for the HRA correct since they are not as common as the SA. I don't believe that you have any choice of the rifles. It's purely luck of the draw.

NRAhighpowershooter
01-28-2009, 6:57 PM
Right now it seems the CMP only has post war service grades.. also more bad news.. delivery times have now been running around 60 days from the CMP receiving your order..... if I were you.... I'd go with a HRA since less of them were made and they seem to have a better machinign finish.. but.... be prepared to see new comercial wood on the Service Grades.....

Seesm
01-28-2009, 6:58 PM
Ahhhh man I hope you don't get well soon...

rc50cal
01-28-2009, 6:59 PM
The only cure is more Garands? Is there any chance that the Garand will also cure my itch for a M1A, or is that too much too ask?

EBR Works
01-28-2009, 7:01 PM
Here, this will feed your disease:

HRA Special, now sold out.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g302/impactco/full-1.jpg

Fate
01-28-2009, 7:05 PM
I noticed you mentioned that you were interested in a Garand built during WWII. HRA were postwar. Yes, they aren't as common, but they have no WWII history beyond their lineage.

Here's my 1945 Springfield that saw rework at the Red River Army Depot.

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/a/76_91/221_146/1945Garand.jpg

Max-the-Silent
01-28-2009, 7:06 PM
Somebody help me please. I have come down with a case of Garanditis and my fiancee almost left me when I came down with BRD. Also, I can't decide if should go with the HRA Correct grade rifle from CMP or if I should go for a SA. Does anyone know if the CMP still has service grade SA M1s that were built during the war? If so, can you ask them for one when you order? Thank you for your help.

Depends.

Are you a shooter or collector?

If you're a shooter, the only thing that matters is performance.

If you're a collector, the correct grade HRA would be the piece to get.

You can contact the CMP for all the information you request, they're very helpful

rc50cal
01-28-2009, 7:38 PM
You guys are also quite helpful. As to the question, "Am I a shooter or a collector?" The answer is yes!

I really would like to have a certified-killed-some-fascists-WWII Garand. I realize that I missed the boat on that one. I guess my only hope is that my income increases faster than the value of decent WWII vintage Garands and that the two values reach equilibirum before semi-auto rifles become illegal.

old-trapper
01-28-2009, 7:59 PM
all those photos made me drool on my keyboard......my2c HRA but you better hurry cus after those photos im calling CMP in the morning.

Trench Broom
01-28-2009, 8:09 PM
Garanditis is pretty much incurable, methinks. I remember the first time the clip ejected in front of my nose with that distinctive PING! Way too cool. Man, now I want to pop in the Band of Brothers DVD's again! :D

Jonathan Doe
01-29-2009, 5:56 AM
A firiend of mine, a retired postal inspector, has about 20 Garands from the all the manufacturers, plus several M-1 carbines from different manufacturers.

Now, I have only one, an HRA, that I bought from a fellow Calgunner, and I like it.