View Full Version : Intra Family Transfers????

01-28-2009, 5:03 PM
I am 20 and I want to by a handgun to start training for the police academy in which i am going to enter shortly. I know if my dad buys the gun he can transfer it into my name once I am 18, but can he just register it straight into my name or does the state get to take the $25 DROS fee from us twice? And if we have to do it twice does that mean two 10 day waiting periods?

01-28-2009, 5:36 PM
Go to an FFL and get your HSC, make sure you print out the relevant pages from http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscinfo.php that say you can take it at 18 since many FFLs don't know this. Then after your father gives you a handgun all you have to do is fill out an Operation of Law (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf) form and mail it in along with a money order for $19. I wouldn't worry about the training though since you will get instruction at the academy and its generally not a good idea to learn things that you will have to unlearn later. However if you want to get proficient with the handgun you should take a defensive handgun course.

ETA: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscfaqs.php#a5

Are there any minimum qualifications/requirements for a person who wants to take the Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) test?

The only requirements are that the Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) applicant must be at least 18 years of age and must present clear evidence of identity and age by presenting a California Driver's License or California Department of Motor Vehicles Identification Card.