PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 California Laws

GABEL1500
01-28-2009, 5:51 PM
I bought my ar in 1999. I want to shoot it but I do not want to get in trouble. Is it possible to shoot it or am I out of luck.

Frijolito1988
01-28-2009, 6:02 PM
I bought my ar in 1999. I want to shoot it but I do not want to get in trouble. Is it possible to shoot it or am I out of luck.

Is it registerd ? If not check if the lower is onth banned list.

goober
01-28-2009, 6:04 PM
its not about whether its "possible to shoot", its whether its LEGAL TO OWN.
now i'm sure you're talking hypothetically here, or about "a friend", since you would not knowingly break any laws and certainly wouldn't post on a public forum about doing so if you did.
or maybe you just missed the bus or were out of state when the registration thing came around.
but any AR style rifle purchased before 2000 is almost certainly going to be a named AW, and possession of such if unregistered is illegal.
if its a registered AW, then you're good to go. it's legal (and "possible to shoot").
if not, you need to surrender it or destroy it. selling it to someone out of state is not a good idea. keeping it is a no-no.
keep everything but the lower, and build a new (legal) rifle.

EBR Works
01-28-2009, 6:33 PM
Do these posts ever end? Welcome to CalGuns, I guess.

strangerdude
01-28-2009, 6:35 PM
What kind of AR do you have? If it's not on the list you will have to install a mag-lock or monsterman grip.

fairfaxjim
01-28-2009, 6:57 PM
Do these posts ever end? Welcome to CalGuns, I guess.

Probably not any time soon! Actually, it appears that there were a LOT of people who had rifles that mysteriously became AW's without their knowledge. Bought it, paid for it, and owned it. For them, end of story. Now that the OLL movement has gained more and more converts, the word about AR's being legal to own is going out, coupled with the sunset of the Federal AW ban, these people are just now finding out they may have missed the boat on registering their formerly legally owned rifles. So, it just stands to reason that if they didn't even know they were illegal, they sure won't know what to do about it when they do find that out. We can only hope that no one gets popped for coming on here and posting to find out how to get themselves legal. At least now there is an avenue to surrender the AW and take an infraction - PROVIDED the DA will go along with that one.

Seesm
01-28-2009, 7:02 PM
Terrible... The AW ban should NOT BE .....and all AR's are just black (usually) colored long guns... Oh wait AR's are just (usually) black long guns... Huh wierd.

MonsterMan
01-28-2009, 7:09 PM
I was at a Gun Runners sponsored "Range day" with a bunch of other vendors there a while back and people were coming up to the booth and asking me if they could just put my grip on their illegally owned AW's and make them legal. I probably had more then 10 people that day say that they had unregistered AW's. :eek: I was very suprised to see that many people that just didn't register their rifles. They are risking felonies and their future right to own firearms by having these rifles.

fairfaxjim
01-28-2009, 9:41 PM
They are risking felonies and their future right to own firearms by having these rifles.

I think the real sad fact is that most of them never knew what hit them, and still don't have any idea of how severe the risk of simply posessing "their legally purchased rifle" really is. There are a few that have a defiant attitude, and knew the registration requirements but wanted to fight the system, but many just woke up one day (or still haven't) to find that something had changed. A lot of them also mis-understood that the AW registration was something completely different from the DROS - I have been told lots of times, "yeah, mine is registered - I did that when I bought it."

Shotgun Man
01-28-2009, 9:44 PM
I'm always seeing the posts advising on "surrendering" the gun and/or receiver.

You can be prosecuted if you surrender the gun. It's possible you could be prosecuted if you surrendered only the bare receiver.

Surrender is not always the answer. See a lawyer schooled in these matters if you can afford it.

A lawyer in theory could shield you from liability, but in this world, who knows for sure?

GrayWolf09
01-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Read the info on this site. These people are experts and they have worked hard and prepared materials to keep people like you out of trouble. Thank them for what they have done. Figure out if it is legal or not. If not make it legal and don't tell anyone until you are done!:whistling:

dawson8r
01-28-2009, 11:37 PM
Like others have stated, if its on the AW ban list then strip it, buy an OLL stripped receiver and rebuild. Deep 6 the the old receiver.

Trendkill
01-28-2009, 11:47 PM
I agree on re-building it....but I am shocked at how everyone here is so suprised by the fact that so many people have un-registered AW's. What were we to think when the first AWB went into effect....."Is this the end??"

IOW....what if a new AW were handed down....would you register your OLL...or would it get burried or hidden? No-one really needs to answer that...but think about it a little....just think.

Deadred7o7
01-28-2009, 11:49 PM
:ban:

bwiese
01-29-2009, 12:19 AM
I'm always seeing the posts advising on "surrendering" the gun and/or receiver.

You can be prosecuted if you surrender the gun. It's possible you could be prosecuted if you surrendered only the bare receiver.

Yes there is a risk if doing it directly. It is helpful though that the law mentions that surrender options are available. Using a lawyer stops problems.

Surrender is not always the answer. See a lawyer schooled in these matters if you can afford it.

A lawyer in theory could shield you from liability, but in this world, who knows for sure?

Please stop spreading FUD crap. A lawyer can readily arrange surrender without prosecution.

The cops/DA are happy to "get a gun off the streets" and can use that number in performance stats.

If the cops/DA renege on that deal, no lawyer in town would ever do a deal again, no plea bargains or witness-coconspirator testimony would ever occur in that county, and the whole system would jam.

99.99% of time when defense lawyers/DAs do an agreement (verbal or otherwise) it's honored [limited exceptions when the originating lawyer commited fraud, defendant broke agreement to fully testify, but that's a whole separate and much bigger issue]

Destruction stops the continuing crime, but does not erase the prior crime (until statute of limitations runs out). A noncharge agreement thru lawyer stops charges.

Shotgun Man
01-29-2009, 1:15 AM
Please stop spreading FUD crap. A lawyer can readily arrange surrender without prosecution.

Spreading FUD implies a premeditated improper purpose which I assure you I lack. I said that one should consult a capable attorney.

I used to think torture was illegal too.

Trendkill
01-29-2009, 7:46 AM
:ban:

Who???

elrcastor
01-29-2009, 8:26 AM
An AW :ban:?

Roper
01-29-2009, 9:15 AM
I am building my first AR-15 and boy am I confused. I live in California and of course will stay legal. I have a Bullet Button,, Question is, Is this considered a fixed magazine? Also I do have a pistol grip. I want to use an upper with a flash suppressor. Is this legal?

Linus
01-29-2009, 9:22 AM
I am building my first AR-15 and boy am I confused. I live in California and of course will stay legal. I have a Bullet Button,, Question is, Is this considered a fixed magazine? Also I do have a pistol grip. I want to use an upper with a flash suppressor. Is this legal?

I would recommend educating yourself on the legalities involved in building an AR before actually building it. Here are some useful links that will relive you of your confusion.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56818

oh and this:
http://blog.riflegear.com/articles/building-a-california--legal-ar-15-rifle.aspx

ripcurlksm
01-29-2009, 9:22 AM
Roper, yes a bullet button with a 10rd magazine and you can have a fully featured rifle (telescoping stock, pistol grip, flash suppressor, etc.) Check out these two links in order.

http://blog.riflegear.com/articles/building-a-california--legal-ar-15-rifle.aspx
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56818