PDA

View Full Version : Contacting the White House in Support of the 2nd Amendment

rc50cal
01-28-2009, 4:32 PM
Dear fellow Calgunners,

I know that "contacting your elected officials" has been proposed in this forum many times, but I would like to propose that each of us contact the White House and express our support for 2nd Amendment rights. I know that many of us did not vote for Obama, and many of you believe that voting for him was a mistake. That may be true, but I do not believe that treating him as an enemy is beneficial to us or to our rights.

If you got to http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/ you will see a form that allows us to conveniently contact the President's office to ask questions or make comments. I feel that it would be in our best interests if we regularly expressed our enthusiastic support for our 2nd amendment rights.

I think that if we keep our messages polite and positive we might be able to persuade the President that tens of millions of law-abiding American citizens are gun enthusiasts and that individual gun ownership should be defended. For instance, I asked what the administration's policy regarding individual gun ownership rights is and took the opportunity to reminded Obama's office that millions of firearms enthusiasts voted for him in November. I plan on contacting him and my other elected officials repeatedly, and I need your help!

I believe that such an approach could be the start of convincing our elected officials that are tens of millions of law abiding gun owners in America and that support of individual gun ownership rights is not reserved to the NRA or to some lunatic fringe.

sfpcservice
01-28-2009, 4:35 PM
Good job on the link, that makes it almost impossible to have an excuse not to send a message!

sfpcservice
01-28-2009, 4:42 PM
Just sent my message to President Obama. Whether or not he pays attention is on him, at least if you send a message you haven't remained silent. Great idea, and it only took about 2 minutes.

Window_Seat
01-28-2009, 4:50 PM
In addition to the very useful OP, it might not be a bad idea to snail mail BHO either. Email is easy and convenient, and in this age, many have replaced SM with email, so licking stamps might make for a better advantage for us CGers & others alike.

Erik; using my MSWord.

JDay
01-28-2009, 5:25 PM
My message.

What is your administration going to do to end the erosion of and to ensure the restoration of the rights guaranteed to all US citizens under the Second Amendment to the Bill of Rights of the US Constitution?

csmintel
01-28-2009, 5:29 PM
he doesn't care. he wouldnt. you guys forgot who his sidekick is. this needs to get louder in the media and not quietly email wh.

JDay
01-28-2009, 5:33 PM
he doesn't care. he wouldnt. you guys forgot who his sidekick is. this needs to get louder in the media and not quietly email wh.

Of course they don't care, however if enough people let it be know that "We The People" do care they will have to wake up and realize that it matters not what they care about but what the people care about that matters.

Alphahookups
01-28-2009, 5:44 PM
It kinda sucks that you are limited to 500 characters. I wanted to write a fairly decent sized message, but couldn't convey my message in 500 characters.

Midian
01-28-2009, 5:49 PM
Rahm Emmanuel is the real problem here.

csmintel
01-28-2009, 5:52 PM
Of course they don't care, however if enough people let it be know that "We The People" do care they will have to wake up and realize that it matters not what they care about but what the people care about that matters.

you just don't git it. it won't matter. this is silently telling them what they don't care to hear. we need a national media attention. like NRA sponsored programs, movies but that are on national networks and not some local cable
"bud's hunting adverntures"

bwiese
01-28-2009, 5:58 PM
This is wrong time to be writing.

I worry that people will write now and "think they've done something" and not follow thru when it's really important - when really the right time to call/write/fax is during various key steps in the legislative process, when there's the right 'share of mind'.

NRA folks have a good idea of when mass calls/faxes/mails are timely & relevant (i.e., when it creates max irritation and focused awareness). You'll be hearing the right time to do that.

truthseeker
01-28-2009, 6:45 PM
I say if you want to e-mail them then write a message that attacks their views of the 2nd Amendment.

IMO it would not be a good idea to tell them specifically why any laws that they are trying to pass "won't pass muster". The reason for this is you may be giving them ideas that they can use to shore up any avenues that they had previously not thought about, which will make it harder for lawyers on our side to fight some of those bad laws if one of us are arrested for violations of said laws.

Tier One Arms
01-28-2009, 6:51 PM
Ditto, bwiese

Liberty1
01-28-2009, 10:33 PM
I say attack attack attack attack, at all times and with extra force during critical legislation.

Just as in military strategy, if you use up your supplies and reserves to just make noise you will not have the strength when the time comes to defend or make a coordinated attack.

Our loudest voice occurs when many of the people are aroused in opposition to some act or event. If we always push attack, attack, attack when there is nothing specific to attack, many of those we call upon to act will think we're crying wolf and tune us out when we need them the most.

Shotgun Man
01-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Also, if you do post on the whitehouse site, don't sound like a yahoo.

But of course, I would follow bweise's and liberty's thinking.

Glock22Fan
01-29-2009, 9:51 AM
IMHO it would merely enforce the impression he has that we are all bitter gun owners, clinging to our antisocial beliefs.

He is so convinced from the election that he has a massive mandate for his views.

He is already sneering at attempts from Republicans to offer constructive suggestions - he doesn't want to hear anything he didn't say first.

There are other ways to use your energy, the White House is not a productive one.

freonr22
01-29-2009, 9:59 AM
It's just another excuse to throw more people on a government list. You write something in support of gun rights to Obama, and you're going on the list. Whether or not that conerns you, that's another thing.

+11111 on this. we need to make sure he/they werent elected in the first place.

rayra
01-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Innocence in rose-colored glasses is SO precious.

VW*Mike
01-29-2009, 5:46 PM
I sent one. Nice and polite with an invitation to get to know us gun owning fellow Americans.

Dutch
01-29-2009, 6:22 PM
IMHO it would merely enforce the impression he has that we are all bitter gun owners, clinging to our antisocial beliefs.

He is so convinced from the election that he has a massive mandate for his views.

He is already sneering at attempts from Republicans to offer constructive suggestions - he doesn't want to hear anything he didn't say first.

yup......agree 100%

dustoff31
01-29-2009, 7:48 PM
One might as well send a letter to a dog asking him to stop peeing on fire hydrants.

sfpcservice
01-29-2009, 8:19 PM
One might as well send a letter to a dog asking him to stop peeing on fire hydrants.

A dog can be trained.....

dustoff31
01-29-2009, 9:00 PM
A dog can be trained.....

You're right. A letter to the dog would likely be more productive.

Paladin
01-30-2009, 5:08 PM
This is wrong time to be writing.

I worry that people will write now and "think they've done something" and not follow thru when it's really important - when really the right time to call/write/fax is during various key steps in the legislative process, when there's the right 'share of mind'.

NRA folks have a good idea of when mass calls/faxes/mails are timely & relevant (i.e., when it creates max irritation and focused awareness). You'll be hearing the right time to do that.Agreed.

BHO may use friendly words and have a pleasant manner, but he is a hard-core anti. The only thing that will stop him and the "Old Guard" Dem antis is political clout. We've got to get as many people plugged into to pro-gun/RKBA forums on the internet as possible (think of your uncles and granddads), and get them to join the NRA.

If half of all the NRA members gave 2 NRA Annual memberships away as gifts this year, we'd double in size from 4.3 M to over 8 1/2 million members. If they call/fax/email in lockstep w/the NRA's leadership, all the anti gun legislation, and perhaps even anti Executive Orders, would grind to a halt. BHO has other fights that he wants to win more than wasting all his political capital taking on us.

JMO

Paladin
01-30-2009, 7:42 PM
If half of all the NRA members gave 2 NRA Annual memberships away as gifts this year, we'd double in size from 4.3 M to over 8 1/2 million members. If they call/fax/email in lockstep w/the NRA's leadership, all the anti gun legislation, and perhaps even anti Executive Orders, would grind to a halt.I forgot to mention how to get "in lockstep" with the NRA's national leadership. Go to: https://secure.nraila.org/EmailSignup.aspx to get free email alerts re. political activities. You don't even have to be a member of the NRA to get them.

Pass that info on to all the pro-RKBA people you know. The 2nd A rights you protect are your own!

To get the most timely info re. CalNRA political action, go to:
http://e-govmail.com/cgi-bin/subscribe.cgi?to=nramemberscouncils.com and sign up for free CAlert emails.

Pass that info on to all the pro-RKBA people you know in CA. I can't imagine that CA antis can't have been but encouraged by the anti Dems wins last fall.

(An aside: Mike, if you read this, I LOVE your new banner at http://calnra.com re who's your president! :D The NRA ought to turn that into a bumper sticker!)