PDA

View Full Version : Semi Auto Tactical Shotgun ban?

freshdesigns@hotmail.com
01-28-2009, 4:23 PM
If Obama reinstates the old ban on "Assault Weapons", will import semi auto shotguns like Benelli and FN be affected (banned)?

gose
01-28-2009, 4:36 PM
If Obama reinstates the old ban on "Assault Weapons", will import semi auto shotguns like Benelli and FN be affected (banned)?

Will the Chargers win the Superbowl next year?

Will it rain on Saturday?

Doheny
01-28-2009, 4:38 PM

No...or any year after that.

freshdesigns@hotmail.com
01-28-2009, 4:40 PM
Ok, what was "banned" if the old Clinton ban is re-instated? I don't remember semi-auto shotguns being affected (except some silly requirements about pistol grip or folding stock requirements), but sure seems like I can find AR's and semi auto rifles easier than I can Shotties these days!

Just wondering if anyone had a "gut" feeling or read something that I didn't.

-hanko
01-28-2009, 4:42 PM
I dunno'...my ability to see the future gets worse as I get older;).

-hanko

wildhawker
01-28-2009, 5:11 PM

Yes, without question. :thumbsup:

freshdesigns@hotmail.com
01-28-2009, 7:20 PM
If you are really asking the question "did the 1994 AWB ban all semi-auto shotguns?", the answer is no. It might have banned some minor attachments (like forward pistol grips or folding stocks), but not the Remington 11-87 or the Benelli M1/2/3/4 family, just as typical examples of semi-auto shotguns (domestic and imported). Therefore, a identical reinstatement of the 1994 AWB would not ban all semi-auto shotguns either. However, an identical reinstatement of the 1994 AWB is completely out of the question, as nobody seems to be pushing it.

A much more interesting discussion is the whole destructive device / sporting purpose federal law, which is in place, and has been for decades. To my knowledge, only two types of semi-auto shotgun have been declared DDs under that regulation, and they were both imported. Also on the books is a whole set of rules regarding US-made parts, which imported shotguns that are converted to non-sporting uses must follow. Note that the ATF seems to never have considered tactical shooting (IPSC/USPSA/IDPA/Three-gun...) to be a sporting use; their opinions only talk about fowl hunting and clay sports in that context.

The question you didn't ask, but which is much more sensible: How will the ATF handle DD and importation issues, and how will they decide on sporting purposes, within the context of existing regulation? Will the ATF pass new regulation in the framework of the existing NFA and GCA laws? Will congress pass minor adjustments to NFA and GCA? I haven't heard a peep about that.

If you are asking "What will a hypothetical future federal AWB ban", that question is unanswerable. All you hear about that is crazy heavy-handed proposals from the usual gun-banners (some of which actually make it to congress, for example HR1022, to die in committee), and completely unreasonable paranoia and chicken-little reaction from the usual gun nuts. It seems very plausible that in reality, nothing is going on with a new AWB, other than the well-known fringe groups on all sides foaming at the mouth.

Now THAT'S a well thought out answer. Much appreciated!