PDA

View Full Version : How many rounds before you replace the barrel?

nikonuser
01-28-2009, 12:09 PM
This quote is from LWRC:

Our barrels can handle 20,000 rounds before replacement, as compared to 6,000-10,000 rounds on a standard M4.

Wow I was surprised to hear that you have to replace the barrel after 6K rounds on an M4. 6K is not a lot of rounds. I remember buying 1K rounds last year and used them all up. At this rate I may need to replace it in 5 years or sooner. Does anyone know how long a STAG barrel last? If I need to replace it how much will it cost to have someone do it since I like to leave this type of work to the real gunsmiths and I guess this will be a good time to have a better barrel too. How much does a good 16 inch match barrel cost and who makes them? Thanks.

YoungGun2
01-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Our barrels can handle 20,000 rounds before replacement, as compared to 6,000-10,000 rounds on a standard M4.

I'm no expert but I thinks that Bull!!! :nuts:

Vacaville
01-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Depends on what ammo you are feeding it and what kind of accuracy you require.

freshdriver
01-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Heat is the #1 killer for barrels if I recall correctly. If you slow fire just at the range, the barrel should last longer.

Seesm
01-28-2009, 12:50 PM
I agree with above poster... HEAT is the killer... Keep the temps down and it WILL last longer for sure. I to think 6k is very little especially in a Zombie situation but then it is just spray and pray right... ?

C.G.
01-28-2009, 1:16 PM
I agree with above poster... HEAT is the killer... Keep the temps down and it WILL last longer for sure.

Where am I going to cook my eggs, though?:D

Omega13device
01-28-2009, 1:33 PM
This quote is from LWRC:

Wow I was surprised to hear that you have to replace the barrel after 6K rounds on an M4. 6K is not a lot of rounds. I remember buying 1K rounds last year and used them all up. At this rate I may need to replace it in 5 years or sooner. Does anyone know how long a STAG barrel last? If I need to replace it how much will it cost to have someone do it since I like to leave this type of work to the real gunsmiths and I guess this will be a good time to have a better barrel too. How much does a good 16 inch match barrel cost and who makes them? Thanks.
It's just marketing BS. Ignore it. Even if it were true, barrels aren't that expensive anyway so it's a dumb thing for them to brag about.

Vepr62
01-28-2009, 1:36 PM
I have a bushmaster upper (chrome lined barrel) with +15K rounds through and it is still going strong. I just recently replased a barrel on my Romak after 30K and it still had some sharp rifeling left, but the throat was corroded. Keep it cool and clean and you can extend the life expectancy.

Vasiliy

rksimple
01-28-2009, 1:39 PM
Barrel life is really only determined by your accuracy standards. 20k rounds may be just fine if hitting a 12 inch target at 100 yards is your only goal.

BillyGoatMachine
01-28-2009, 9:31 PM
Don't even worry about replacing it until you can't hit your targets anymore. Then worry about it.

GrayWolf09
01-28-2009, 9:55 PM

Send me your barrel.:yes:

jgraham15
01-28-2009, 10:41 PM
I have a ER Shaw barrel on one of my AR's that has well over 10,000 rounds through it and it still shoots sub MOA groups with the right ammo.

82A1CAL
01-28-2009, 10:58 PM
+1 With modern ammo and gun, I think even without rifling gun will shoot 12" at 100 yards. It will be like shotgun shooting slug! :thumbsup:

Barrel life is really only determined by your accuracy standards. 20k rounds may be just fine if hitting a 12 inch target at 100 yards is your only goal.

nrakid88
01-28-2009, 11:08 PM
I agree with above poster... HEAT is the killer... Keep the temps down and it WILL last longer for sure. I to think 6k is very little especially in a Zombie situation but then it is just spray and pray right... ?

If it was just gonna be spray and pray why do we buy guns that shoot sub moa when were just gonna let um rip and cross our fingers? I think if thats your plan you may want to switch over to an ak... As for me I will be making every round count, one shot, two kills.

Jpach
01-28-2009, 11:16 PM
Ricky r u saying that AKs are inaccurate? TAKE IT BACK!

Seesm
01-29-2009, 12:39 AM
Ahh I think truly in a shtf situation most will be spray and pray cuz they would be freaking out... Obviously when you can take a shot that counts you always will...

Jonathan Doe
01-29-2009, 5:44 AM
I try to change the barrels of my service rifle match AR-15 after 8,000 - 10,000 rounds and M-1A after 5,000 - 6,000 rounds. I use either Krieger or Obermeyer barrels. The barrels still have a much longer service life left, but when you want the edge at the match, you are going to need a new barrel. I give away my older barrels to my friends and they use it well. The barrels will shoot very decent group much longer.

No matter how worn the barrels are, they will keep shooting. It is a matter of how much accuracy you will get out of it.

nrakid88
02-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Ricky r u saying that AKs are inaccurate? TAKE IT BACK!

I'll take it back the day you can get tighter groups with your ak than I can with my ar

gunrun45
02-05-2009, 12:10 AM
I have a "stop sign" Olympic Arms AR (my first) that I bought well used in the late 80's. It still retains the factory A1 type upper and barrel. no issues for me and I have shot the tar out of that gun.

Also, there are plenty of military surplus M16's currently in the hands of LEO's across the US (plenty in CA) that have early vietnam triangle handguard uppers on them that still shoot just fine (old twist rates though). A budy of mine brought over his dept issue M16 ex-vietnam era rifle that shot just fine as long as we fed it the right weight ammo ;) God only knows how many thousand rounds those guns have fired in the last 40ish years.

fusionstar
02-05-2009, 6:58 AM
2 different operating systems. And sights, and price ranges

$400-$700 dollar ak vs $1000-$2000 dollar ar.

Get a gas piston ar (around $2,000?)
then
Get a $2,000 AK?
Its like impossible to build a $2000 ak that hasn't been blinged or tact out.
Even with a $500 match grade barrel.

And of course.. same quality ammo.

they will be on par with each other.

Requiem
02-05-2009, 7:40 AM
http://www.otisgun.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/fcatalog.html&setup=1&cart_id=

looks interesting to help protect your barrel, huh?

1859sharps
02-05-2009, 7:54 AM
the 6000 round "life" on an m4 is probably based on a military spec for when to change a barrel based on military use. If it has any bases at all.

a few years ago people started quoting a very low round count as when to change out an AR barrel based on when the army marksmenship unit changed barrels. The real story was the army unit figured out an average max round count before they had a reduction in acuracy and changed out barrels at that point. needed or not. They have the budget to change out barrels before they have problems, most of us don't.

Truth is, as others have pointed out, a quality AR that is taken care of, not abused with lots of un needed rapid fire heating up the barrel will have a very long life. easily over 10,000 rounds or more.

norcal-ar
02-05-2009, 8:38 AM
Just have more than one rifle and rotate them then you will never have have to worry about it

30Cal
02-05-2009, 9:33 AM
Chrome lined barrels will last a long long time. 15-30krds

A match grade barrel will start to lose it's razors edge around 4000-8000rds(seen at 600yds as occasional fliers). It'll still shoot extremely well at short range (less than 600yds) for quite a while longer.

I view barrels as consumable items like targets and ammo.

M1A Rifleman
02-05-2009, 12:18 PM
The answer is rather relative based upon many different factors. The basic military spec service life for chrome lined barrels was about 15K rnds. This even depends on different factors such as ammo and rapid fire etc.

A barrel deteriorates every time you fire a round due to friction, heat, and the erosive properties of burning propellant. Basic battelfield accuracy is different from the type of target accuracy most will expect from the target range.

The rule of thumb for 3006 accuarcy was that it may start to drop off after
3K to 6K rounds fired.

I had a 300win mag that started to show slightly larger group sizes after only 800 rnds fired, and if you looked into the barrel you could see the wear and errosion frosting and pitting the barrel throat.

So you see the answer depends on many factors and what you are willing to live with or expect. The owner of the shop that used to be around me told me once he had over 40,000 rnds through his HK G3 (he had a full auto). He said the barrel looked bad, but it worked fine.

J_Rock
02-05-2009, 12:25 PM
2 different operating systems. And sights, and price ranges

$400-$700 dollar ak vs $1000-$2000 dollar ar.

Get a gas piston ar (around $2,000?)
then
Get a $2,000 AK?
Its like impossible to build a $2000 ak that hasn't been blinged or tact out.
Even with a $500 match grade barrel.

And of course.. same quality ammo.

they will be on par with each other.

I doubt it, even with a good barrel the tolerances on the AK are too sloppy for it be on par with any AR, piston or not.