PDA

View Full Version : Flash Hider or Compensator

bigtexn
01-28-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm in the process of finding a new Flash Hider or Compensator for my AR. Question is, I don't fully understand what the difference between the two. Flash Hider (obvious) but does the Compensator really help that much with with muzzle control? Also, the legalities of a Flash Hider and Compensator. I have a fixed mag, but I haven't read anything on whether or not a Compensator is legal in CA. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

ohsmily
01-28-2009, 12:15 PM
If you have a fixed magazine, you can put whichever you like on your rifle.

Flash suppressors reduce flash.
Muzzle brakes and compensators (interchangeable terms IMO) reduce recoil.

Some devices accomplish both but usually don't do as good of a job at either as a dedicated device.

bigtexn
01-28-2009, 12:34 PM
That's what I was looking for, thanks!!

Seesm
01-28-2009, 12:59 PM
So many posts on this... Sometimes they look the same at a quick glance...

bigtexn
01-29-2009, 7:56 AM
I did actually look for a post on this. I tried a search for AR-15 and absolutely nothing came up, not a single thread or post. Not sure what I did wrong on my search, but I did try. I'm curious why CalGuns.net doesn't have a separate forum dedicated to the AR. I've spent a lot of time on AR15.com but thats not specific to CA law so I came here.

ohsmily
01-29-2009, 9:14 AM
I did actually look for a post on this. I tried a search for AR-15 and absolutely nothing came up, not a single thread or post. Not sure what I did wrong on my search, but I did try. I'm curious why CalGuns.net doesn't have a separate forum dedicated to the AR. I've spent a lot of time on AR15.com but thats not specific to CA law so I came here.

Because CA law applies to Ar-15 type rifles as it does countless other guns. Ar-15s aren't specially treated in CA and they fall in the same category as all other so-called "assault weapon." So, all we need is one general legal forum, which you did not post in.

Also, use google to search calguns.net type "[what you want to search]" and "calguns.net"

You mean to tell me you had a question about flash hiders v. muzzle brakes and compensators and all you tried to search was "ar-15" :rofl:

bigtexn
01-29-2009, 9:32 AM
Yeah, that was all I tried searching being that my main concern was the legality of those items on the AR. I'll try the Google method next time. Thanks. :thumbsup:

trinydex
01-29-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm in the process of finding a new Flash Hider or Compensator for my AR. Question is, I don't fully understand what the difference between the two. Flash Hider (obvious) but does the Compensator really help that much with with muzzle control? Also, the legalities of a Flash Hider and Compensator. I have a fixed mag, but I haven't read anything on whether or not a Compensator is legal in CA. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

here's a few vids on brakes that work

http://jprifles.com/v/v_d.php?v=ctr-02

http://jprifles.com/v/v_d.php?v=recoil

wash
01-29-2009, 10:51 AM
After using a Garand with a plain muzzle, and a FAL with a muzzle brake that wasn't much better, I was surprised that my plain muzzle featureless AR-15 had so little recoil.

A muzzle brake on an M-16 probably makes sense but for an AR I wouldn't add anything unless I thought muzzle flash was a problem. With a flash hider I would also need a bullet button and couldn't use my 30 round magazines.

CHS
01-29-2009, 11:40 AM
After using a Garand with a plain muzzle, and a FAL with a muzzle brake that wasn't much better, I was surprised that my plain muzzle featureless AR-15 had so little recoil.

You realize that the Garand and FAL also fire a much larger projectile with greater recoil than the 5.56 in the AR... right?

MiniFan
01-29-2009, 12:28 PM
here's a few vids on brakes that work

http://jprifles.com/v/v_d.php?v=ctr-02

http://jprifles.com/v/v_d.php?v=recoil

The way that man moves with a rifle made me laugh. nothing tactical about that.

wash
01-29-2009, 1:11 PM
You realize that the Garand and FAL also fire a much larger projectile with greater recoil than the 5.56 in the AR... right?
Having dealt with a not so effective brake and seeing so many brakes on AR's, I thought that there must be some reason for a brake on an AR-15.

It was my first experience with a 5.56 NATO rifle.

supersonic
01-30-2009, 12:36 AM
A2 birdcages are the majority of FH's you will see on fixed-mag rifles. However, if you want your muzzle blast sig. to be 99% invisible in the dark, the Smith Vortex is a wonder of design. I have one of each on 2 of my carbines. When shooting at night, it's almost unreal. You can see a moderately bright "blip" from the A2 (brighter or dimmer, depending on how hot your ammo is / what type). With the Vortex............nothing......nada. Actually, I put an A2-style comp on my full-size (20") A2 because of the "cool" 1-foot flame that comes out of the muzzle like lightning and lights up the whole area every time the trigger is pulled. HINT: bump-firing in the latter method will, if you have enough ammo, keep the camp from needing a campfire / lanterns!!!:p

randy
01-30-2009, 12:52 AM
A good muzzle break will increase the speed of your shooting and can allow you to see your misses.

Minifin he was showing you his rifle and how it is better than the other rifles out there, not how to be a mall ninja.

MiniFan
01-31-2009, 7:09 PM
A good muzzle break will increase the speed of your shooting and can allow you to see your misses.

Minifin he was showing you his rifle and how it is better than the other rifles out there, not how to be a mall ninja.

I just call em as I see em. Sure it looks like a nice rifle, but he has the worst shooting form I've ever seen. Whats a mall ninja?