PDA

View Full Version : Re-marking/Changing AR Model

armygunsmith
01-28-2009, 10:21 AM
I know that by law, a lower must be marked with the manufacturer name, city and state, and serial number. My question pertains to the rollmark on the mag well that generally includes the model and a logo. Could someone, for example take a lower designated as "MG-15" and restamp it to "SAMG-15". Would one be required to modify the lower in some way before doing this? If this were possible, could someone then ,hypothetically modify an On-List lower then re designate to a model number not on the list. For example. an "XM-15" re designated to "XXM-15. I'm thinking specifically about when HK started re stamping some of their HK-91's to HK-911. I haven't really run this by anyone but thought I'd get some of your opinions first.

domokun
01-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Short answer is no, unless it's the original manufacturer of the lower doing it.

armygunsmith
01-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the reply. What would be the chances of getting a manufacturer to do this for someone, and what would be required on their end as far as the law is concerned?

domokun
01-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the reply. What would be the chances of getting a manufacturer to do this for someone, and what would be required on their end as far as the law is concerned?

Next to none.

Seesm
01-28-2009, 12:41 PM
sell me the lower cheap and you build a homebrewed lower off a 80% and mark it as you like? Seems like a reasonable offer no?