PDA

View Full Version : Split PPT - Is this Legal?

markgrubb
01-28-2009, 1:22 AM
I saw this in an ad....

I will assist with a split PPT anywhere in the state, for $75.00 extra in shipping costs. It uses a DROS Worksheet (PDF), available on the CA DOJ website under under "Firearms Dealer Notices, Forms, and Information". The seller must fill out the part at the bottom called Private Party Transfer (Seller Information) and sign it in the Signature of Seller box. He must then copy his CA ID on the back in the upper right hand corner and enclose the DROS Worksheet with the gun when he ships it.

Is this how shipped PPT's are carried out?

Thanks, Mark

nwnguy
01-28-2009, 1:39 AM
From what i understand, there is no such thing as a shipped ppt. Either both parties have to be present or the firearm is on consignment.

leelaw
01-28-2009, 2:06 AM
There is no such thing as a "split PPT" that is legal.

Both parties must be present for the PPT to take place.

knuckled
01-28-2009, 3:21 AM
Actually there is such a thing as a split PPT, most FFLs don't know about it. It works the same way as a gunshow transfer, but you will probably have a hell of a time finding a second FFL who will go along with it.

see this thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1294057) (esp. post #5)

halifax
01-28-2009, 6:11 AM
Actually there is such a thing as a split PPT, most FFLs don't know about it. It works the same way as a gunshow transfer, but you will probably have a hell of a time finding a second FFL who will go along with it.

see this thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1294057) (esp. post #5)

Does it? At a gunshow, both parties are present. The only reason the form exists is to compensate for the lack of an internet connection. The gunshow form is not being used for its intended purpose when used for "split" PPTs.

Shakey ground here. I'd like to see something more definative from BOF before getting into this.

truthseeker
01-28-2009, 8:27 AM
Does it? At a gunshow, both parties are present. The only reason the form exists is to compensate for the lack of an internet connection. The gunshow form is not being used for its intended purpose when used for "split" PPTs.

Shakey ground here. I'd like to see something more definative from BOF before getting into this.

So, if a person gives a "gun store" a firearm on consignment and fills out the paperwork BEFORE the gun store takes the firearm to the gun show, then I see no difference than if the 2 Private Parties were actually FTF when the buyer purchases the firearm at the gunshow.

Am I missing something here?

Serpentine
01-28-2009, 8:42 AM
So, if a person gives a "gun store" a firearm on consignment and fills out the paperwork BEFORE the gun store takes the firearm to the gun show, then I see no difference than if the 2 Private Parties were actually FTF when the buyer purchases the firearm at the gunshow.

Am I missing something here?

For private party to private party transactions, both the seller and the purchaser have to meet face to face with the dealer to fill out the manual DROS worksheet. It doesn't necessarily have to happen at the same time or place (location must be considered a legal premises, ie. dealer's licensed premises or a 'permitted' gun show), but face to face with the dealer is mandatory.