PDA

View Full Version : MAGPUL UBR vs. CTR

Norccer
01-27-2009, 6:34 PM
In your guys opinion is the UBR worth the $100 more? I know I have to wait for my upper on my build so I figured I could wait for the UBR Stock also. I just don't want to spend $100 extra if the CTR can get the same job done, and be just as reliable. Does the UBR provide much better recoil?

I tried to search for a similar thread, but I didn't find anything. I also have been reading up on both of them, but I would like to hear your guys opinions. Thanks, and as always I am grateful for your replies.

Skter505
01-27-2009, 7:25 PM
It depends on what kind of rifle you are building. Front heavy 16" with a rail, foreward grip and a light the UBR is best. lightweight builds like 14.5" (with pinned FH of course) small carbine rails and no heavy accessories and the CTR will be better. You don't want the rifle to be nose heavy, so the UBR balances out really well with accessories.
I sent you a PM as I have a UBR for sale, decided to stay with an M4 style instead of the SPR/Recce I was building.

sleepur606
01-27-2009, 7:39 PM
I have a CTR and a UBR waiting for buildups, but the CTR might wait a little longer. (Planning on an 18 and 24" build...mostly because I'm mildly retarded.)

Anyway, I've used the CTR on my shotgun adapter and like it, but the UBR feels extremely sturdy and built a little stockier and the CTR.

Just my 2 cents

Monoz
01-27-2009, 10:29 PM
I have rifles with both right now.

There really isn't a "better", because they are completely different stocks designed for completely different purposes.

UBR goes well on a front-heavy rifle that you are going to shoot primarily with a scope. CTR is better suited to a lightweight carbine. MOE is just about as good as CTR, all it is missing is the swivel mounts and friction lock. The friction lock is no big deal for me. I like the swivel mounts, but depending on your sling system those might be a don't care as well.

So really, the questions are "what sort of rifle are you building" and "what kind of shooting do you plan on doing" - those will help you select the stock.

BTW, Magpul just announced a new stock that is sort of a cross between the CTR and the LMT SOPMOD. You might want to look at the specs if you aren't in a hurry.

djleisure
01-27-2009, 10:43 PM
I have both and I agree with what has already been said. UBR is good for balancing a longer-railed, mid/rifle gas build while the CTR is great for lighter carbine length builds with shorter rails. I had the UBR first and wasn't sure I was going to like the CTR as much, but dang that thing is SOLID. The friction lock on the CTR is really well engineered and takes out any play in the stock. For the most part I would say go with the CTR.

doughboy334
01-28-2009, 12:11 AM
I have rifles with both right now.

There really isn't a "better", because they are completely different stocks designed for completely different purposes.

UBR goes well on a front-heavy rifle that you are going to shoot primarily with a scope. CTR is better suited to a lightweight carbine. MOE is just about as good as CTR, all it is missing is the swivel mounts and friction lock. The friction lock is no big deal for me. I like the swivel mounts, but depending on your sling system those might be a don't care as well.

So really, the questions are "what sort of rifle are you building" and "what kind of shooting do you plan on doing" - those will help you select the stock.

BTW, Magpul just announced a new stock that is sort of a cross between the CTR and the LMT SOPMOD. You might want to look at the specs if you aren't in a hurry.

Yes that ACS stock is looking highly desirable in that Magpul Shot Show 09 video :)