View Full Version : Need help on deciding what rifle to get.

01-27-2009, 5:08 PM
I want to get a bolt action that I can do long range shooting, my budget is in the $400-$700 area. I will also need a scope so I want to include that in the price. What caliber should I get, .223(only cause it's more affordable for me), or .308(because it can reach further distances)? Here's a link to the rifle I'm considering, comes with a nikko-sterling scope. FYI, I'm a total newb with bolt action rifles and precision shooting.

01-27-2009, 5:21 PM
You can still get a Remington 700 in just about any caliber for about $500 and then you can buy a Burris fullfield scope for $200 from natchez,SWFA, etc. If you combine both with taxes, dros, etc, a lil over $700 but then you will have a very descent rifle and a very decent scope. My hunting buddies use the fullfield scopes every year in harsh weather conditions and they work flawless. I have the same combo and love it. Also if you ever want to upgrade your rifle and have more work done to it, the Rem700 is the perfect platform to make into a sniper type rifle! If you call Dustin from Ammo Bros, he can order you a Rem700 in 300 win mag for $519. At least thats the price he told me about 1year ago. Prices on guns have gone up, but not on bolt actions, so dont let anybody trick you.. Really consider burris scopes though, becus they are very durable and alot less $ than the nikon,leupold, etc.

01-27-2009, 5:26 PM
My budget will also have to include dros+tax, i'm a broke student. Yeah a Remington 700 was my first option but I couldn't see myself buying a complete 700 w/ scope in my budget range. I will call ammobros tomorrow and see what kind of deals they have, thanks!

01-27-2009, 5:28 PM
For just a little more you can get the SPS or SPS varmit from the same store.

01-27-2009, 5:35 PM
What do you guys think of this one?

01-27-2009, 5:49 PM
that looks like a good deal too!! You cant go wrong with Remington! Looks like it has bushnell scope on it. FYI, i bought a Remington 700 in 30-06 from walmart years ago for about $360 and then bought a $50 tasco scope and it has always worked great too! I used it in freezing temperatures and worked great. Just buy that, if you want you can always upgrade your scope if you really wanted too!

01-27-2009, 5:55 PM
Yeah I'm going to check out some reviews on it, I really want a 700 though. I will try and save up more money and start a WTB thread and see if anyone wants to sell theirs. Gracias people!

01-27-2009, 6:00 PM
SPS varmint

01-27-2009, 6:08 PM
See my ad for a NIB Remington 700 SPS Varmint .223. I have a link to an online review from a sniper website. This rifle is cited as an entry level tactical/sniper/long range rifle that is capable of handling the task at budget pricing.

Good luck.

01-28-2009, 2:11 AM
What do you guys think of this one?

No. That's a hunting rifle.

Jon Se
01-28-2009, 6:15 AM
I've just placed an order for a Marlin XL-7 in 30-06, got it for $382 OTD @ Bain and Davis in San Gabriel. Its more a hunting rifle than a bench one, but supposedly can still achieve ~moa groups. All the reviews I've read are positive, with the only main downsides being a non-heavy barrel, standard plastic stock, and lack of general lack of aftermarket support. They only have it long action for now, but are coming out with a SA model w/ wood stocks this year.

01-28-2009, 6:25 AM
Long range shooting involves quite a bit more than most realize. You can't put a $50 scope on the rifle and expect it to behave as it should. Then when you're slinging rounds downrange, not hitting anything, how do you know why you're missing? Is it you? Or is it the POS scope on top? Thats not the way to learn.

Your best bet would be to get a remington 700 sps varmint. Get a cheap b square base, weaver quad-lock rings, and a bushnell 3200 10x mildot. That is the VERY cheapest I would go. That will give you at least a reliable, repeatable setup. Anything cheaper and you won't get the desired results.