PDA

View Full Version : Who here knows about mosins

STAGE 2
01-27-2009, 3:41 PM
For some reason lately these rifles are starting to spark my interest. Most likely thats because I don't have one. Specifically I've been looking at the finnish M39's because battle rifles and accuracy give me the warm fuzzies.

That said, I don't know if I can handle the straight bolt. I've see a couple that had a bent bolt and was wondering if this was a modification of or some finnish mosins were made with a turned bolt.

tlillard23
01-27-2009, 3:45 PM
Spend $100 and buy one of each model/make......

Mark One
01-27-2009, 3:47 PM
There were no Finnish Mosin Nagants with bent bolts. The Finnish only made a few snipers (I think less than 100) and all of the rest were straight bolt.

Also, if you get a Finn don't bubba it with a bent bolt. If you must then get a Russian Mosin Nagant.

God Bless The Mauser
01-27-2009, 3:57 PM
Straight bolt is not as bad as it looks, get the rifle all cleaned up so it extracts easily and its no problem.

STAGE 2
01-27-2009, 6:04 PM
Also, if you get a Finn don't bubba it with a bent bolt. If you must then get a Russian Mosin Nagant.

Why? And do they sell bent bolts for these?

Mark One
01-27-2009, 6:24 PM
There are not as many Finns as there are Russian Mosin Nagants. Finns have a much higher collecting value.

The Finnish bolts are the same as the Russian Mosin Nagants so they do sell bent bolts. But I do not see any point in its really just a waste of money.

Buy a Finn M39, get use to the straight bolt and shoot the hell out of it. They are great rifles and I personally think they are one of the best military bolt action rifles ever made. But I also ave a soft spot for the Mosin design and a M39 is the Bentley of Mosin Nagants.

11011500a
01-27-2009, 6:45 PM
look on ebay you'll find bent bolts

Fate
01-27-2009, 7:18 PM
A bent bolt is not necessary. The short throw is actually quite fast if you have a clean chamber. For maintaining your sight picture, use the LEFT hand to cycle the bolt.

Please don't Bubba a Finn. If you learn the actual history of those rifles and the story of their people, it'll help you appreciate why.

Vacaville
01-27-2009, 7:22 PM
You only need the bent bolt if you want to install a receiver scope. Makes cycling a lot easier.

nagorb
01-27-2009, 7:30 PM
If you really want a bent bolt then don't touch the bolt on a finn do like11011500a said and get a extra bolt that already has a bent bolt installed.

look here for more info 7.62x54r.net

STAGE 2
01-27-2009, 8:47 PM
I guess I'm confused. If the bolts are the same, then how would swapping "bubba" the rifle? Its not modifying anything, just changing parts.

Fate
01-27-2009, 9:01 PM
Swapping out a bent bolt is fine, just keep the bolt head from the first bolt with the new bolt (that determines headspace). Don't throw away the original and swap back if you sell.

What's Bubba is when people actually try and bend down the original bolt into a shorty, bent bolt, or cut off the knob and bolt on a bent bolt attachment or other method of ruining the original bolt.

csmintel
01-27-2009, 9:06 PM
bought one from big 5 for 79.99 plus tax plus dros. sold it for 49.99 after dislocated shoulder and black spots on it. never been more happy.

STAGE 2
01-27-2009, 9:29 PM
What's Bubba is when people actually try and bend down the original bolt into a shorty, bent bolt, or cut off the knob and bolt on a bent bolt attachment or other method of ruining the original bolt.

I realize that. I just didn't think that people would actually try and bend the regular bolt since its not long enough to work.

RudyN
01-27-2009, 9:32 PM
Right now I have six Mosins. Four 91/30s, a M38 and a M39 with a M44 on the way. The 91/30s are inexpensive and are easy to find. If you really want a bent bolt find one that has already been bent and don't do it to the one that came with you rifle.

Dr. Peter Venkman
01-27-2009, 9:48 PM
Finnish mosins are my favorite. I have four M39s and a Finnish-captured 1933 Tula. Mosins are very fun to shoot. I take them for what they are though. I don't see the point in adding a bunch of crap to them that does not increase performance, ruins their historical value, and makes them look like crap.

STAGE 2
01-27-2009, 11:13 PM
I don't see the point in adding a bunch of crap to them that does not increase performance, ruins their historical value, and makes them look like crap.

An easier operating bolt is an increase in performance. Thats why most other bolt rifles have one.

Dr. Peter Venkman
01-27-2009, 11:19 PM
An easier operating bolt is an increase in performance. Thats why most other bolt rifles have one.

You lose performance when you bend the bolt on a Mosin. It takes more work to work the bolt on these because of the tendency for the bolt to "freeze". That is all given if the bent bolt is not longer than the straight one already on the rifle. If you want a nice Mosin "accuracy wise", get a Finnish M39 that is in good shape and put a scout-style mount on it. You might not need optics with the sights on an M39, however. They are pretty precise. The caveat is that they begin at 150 meters, so a Six O'Clock hold is necessary.

icormba
01-27-2009, 11:44 PM
Replacing your strait bolt handle with a bent one is a very easy task and won't ruin anything as long as you keep your original handle, but Venkman is right... on a Mosin it makes it harder to cycle.
(http://www.surplusrifle.com/finnishmosin/boltdisassembly/index.asp)

It's not like comparing a K98 bent bolt to a vz24 strait bolt. Plus a bent bolt handle for a Mosin costs $50-$75. (accumounts.com sells them)

If you really want a bent bolt Mosin, take a look at a PU sniper... I have one for sale! ;)

DO NOT cut the handle to replace it with one of those AT attachments!!! They suck! and don't ask how I know :o.
http://www.impactguns.com/store/MOI0700.html

STAGE 2
01-28-2009, 12:52 AM
You lose performance when you bend the bolt on a Mosin. It takes more work to work the bolt on these because of the tendency for the bolt to "freeze".

Could you please 'splain this because it seems pretty counterintuituve to me. The angle of the bolt handle doesn't change anything other than the position of your hand. Assuming the bent bolt is longer, you will also have more leverage to unstick a stuck bolt.

What am I missing here?

Dr. Peter Venkman
01-28-2009, 12:59 AM
Could you please 'splain this because it seems pretty counterintuituve to me. The angle of the bolt handle doesn't change anything other than the position of your hand. Assuming the bent bolt is longer, you will also have more leverage to unstick a stuck bolt.

What am I missing here?

Just as I stated, you will not lose leverage if the bent bolt is longer than the original. That's not always the case. I've seen guys at the range who just took the regular mosin bolt, bent it down (thusly removing leverage) and having a fun time trying to get the bolt open when it sticks.

STAGE 2
01-28-2009, 1:32 AM
Just as I stated, you will not lose leverage if the bent bolt is longer than the original. That's not always the case. I've seen guys at the range who just took the regular mosin bolt, bent it down (thusly removing leverage) and having a fun time trying to get the bolt open when it sticks.

Ah. I thought you were talking about bolts generally because I had already said...

I just didn't think that people would actually try and bend the regular bolt since its not long enough to work.

frwycop
01-28-2009, 7:08 AM
Hi, I am new here but lost of fun reading all info.
I bought 3 Mosins about 4 years ago (without my wife's knowledge, I told her it was just 1) still not being shot yet.
I converted 1 of them as a Sniper's Rifle and turned up pretty good trying to keep it as stock as possible.
Here are some pictures and I apologize is they are low quality pics. :)

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c204/frwycop/MOS004.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c204/frwycop/MOS003.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c204/frwycop/MOS002.jpg

frwycop
01-28-2009, 7:13 AM
Sorry, I forgot to mention something about the bent bolt. You have to have the bent bolt if using a scope, otherwise a straight bolt will hit the scope's body. Through some reading and surfing the net, I came to believe this is the main reason a bent bolt will be used, unless you want to experience opening and closing the bolt with your thumb as snipers do. :D

TheBundo
01-28-2009, 7:40 AM
Get a Mosin. Then get a shoulder pad and a butt pad. Then enjoy a VERY accurate rifle.

Fate
01-28-2009, 10:42 AM
I realize that. I just didn't think that people would actually try and bend the regular bolt since its not long enough to work.
Bubba ain't the brightest bulb in the pack.

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/a/76_91/221_146/WANTED_BUBBA-vi.jpg