PDA

View Full Version : Selling and shipping stripped lower

tatt00edangel
01-27-2009, 3:28 PM
I want to sell and ship my stripped lower. How do I do that?
Do I go through an FFL?

Ironchef
01-27-2009, 3:31 PM
Yes, you should contact the buyers FFL and ask them if they'll accept your stripped lower. You would want to explain if it's lawful (assuming it's going to a Californian buyer) by saying it's off the DOJ list, etc. etc.

Or have the buyer do that for you since it's "their" FFL, not yours. I think also, some FFLs only want to accept things shipped by another FFL. I'm not sure on the law regarding if you can ship it yourself or not (i assume you can).

aplinker
01-27-2009, 3:35 PM
You can ship it yourself. Buyer will select his FFL.

bwiese
01-27-2009, 3:36 PM
You can ship to any willing FFL directly.

You do not need to ship from FFL on your end.

Since this is not a handgun, you can even ship it via US Mail as well.

(you'll have to declare it, and some clerks may panic: print out regulations from USPS website and have them in hand so it doesn't take them 15 min to find 'em).

tatt00edangel
01-27-2009, 3:40 PM
So the buyer should have an FFL, then I need to contact the FFL for the transfer? What do I declare?

Shane916
01-27-2009, 3:59 PM
So the buyer should have an FFL, then I need to contact the FFL for the transfer? What do I declare?

Theoretically the buyer is responsible for making arrangements with the FFL. You can simply package the lower up and send it through your local post office to the FFL. Nothing special to declare.

tatt00edangel
01-27-2009, 4:00 PM
Now what if its a complete lower?

sorensen440
01-27-2009, 4:01 PM
Do you have a buyer already ?
It might be easier to sell it locally and just meet the buyer
Lowers are hot right now and if priced fairly should sell in a few hours

sorensen440
01-27-2009, 4:01 PM
Now what if its a complete lower?
Same rules apply
same if there's an upper attached as well

tatt00edangel
01-27-2009, 4:05 PM
Ok thanks, I'll have to post it then. Thanks.

ohsmily
01-27-2009, 4:17 PM
Out of curiosity, what lower are you selling?

spdrcr
01-27-2009, 4:21 PM
(you'll have to declare it, and some clerks may panic: print out regulations from USPS website and have them in hand so it doesn't take them 15 min to find 'em).

If it's a stripped receiver what do you have to declare? What regulations are you referring to that should be printed out?

sorensen440
01-27-2009, 4:21 PM
If it's a stripped receiver what do you have to declare? What regulations are you referring to that should be printed out?
Its a firearm regardless of being stripped

tatt00edangel
01-27-2009, 4:28 PM
Either a M&P stripped or a Stag complete.

spdrcr
01-27-2009, 4:49 PM
Its a firearm regardless of being stripped

True. However, being a long gun the ATF FAQ does not state that any declaration is necessary.

sorensen440
01-27-2009, 4:56 PM
True. However, being a long gun the ATF FAQ does not state that any declaration is necessary.
I could be wrong but I thought usps required it

spdrcr
01-27-2009, 5:09 PM
I could be wrong but I thought usps required it

The only form for firearms that came up on the USPS website was Form 1508 for dealers or manufacturers.

I am curious though as I plan to ship a couple lowers.

missiondude
01-27-2009, 5:16 PM
The form for dealers and manufacturers is the one you use if they make you fill one out. I had mine printed and filled out, but they only briefly looked at it and then handed it back. I did mail it out of the Laguna Beach post office, and it may have been the first gun they ever processed if the clerks reaction was any indication.

Doing it local will save you time and a headache, you may want to consider a PPT at a local FFL...

Gator Monroe
01-27-2009, 5:32 PM
So I can have a lower shipped from a source (non-FFL) in Texas to my FFL ?:chris:

Shane916
01-27-2009, 6:23 PM
So I can have a lower shipped from a source (non-FFL) in Texas to my FFL ?:chris:

If your FFL accepts shipments from Non-FFL's then yes.

bplvr
01-27-2009, 7:14 PM
I ship UPS and tell them it is "Sporting Goods/ Equipment" .So far no problems.

skkeeter
01-27-2009, 7:23 PM
I've done this twice for myself, and once for a friend. My FFL agrees to accept the lower from private party. I just send a copy with payment or fax my FFL's license to the private party. The lower and paperwork gets shipped directly to my FFL for transfer. Done deal. Completely Legal.

Flying Bones
01-27-2009, 7:37 PM
Maybe i'm fortunate to have a FFL that will take shipments from private party. I just try to keep the FFL protected by dealing with known sources.

ohsmily
01-27-2009, 7:41 PM
I ship UPS and tell them it is "Sporting Goods/ Equipment" .So far no problems.

Your clever ruse (probably did not) violate federal law. What you did is just as original as "machined metal parts." :rolleyes:

(reading code now).

ke6guj
01-27-2009, 7:49 PM
Good for you, your clever ruse violated federal law. What you did is just as original as "machined metal parts." :rolleyes:

You should delete your post.
Actually, if being shipped to an FFL, no declaration is neccessary. Now, UPS/Fedex regulations may require you to declare it, but failure to do so is not a violation of federal law. It may void your insurance if the package was lost.

ohsmily
01-27-2009, 7:52 PM
Actually, if being shipped to an FFL, no declaration is neccessary. Now, UPS/Fedex regulations may require you to declare it, but failure to do so is not a violation of federal law. It may void your insurance if the package was lost.

What is your support for that statement?

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

ke6guj
01-27-2009, 7:56 PM
What is your support for that statement?the ATF FAQ is misleading/incorrect.

Here is the code:

Sec. 478.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier.

(a) No person shall knowingly deliver or cause to be delivered to
any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in
interstate or foreign commerce to any person other than a licensed
importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector,
any package or other container in which there is any firearm or
ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or
ammunition is being transported or shipped:

If shipped to one of those bolded persons, no written notice is required.

ohsmily
01-27-2009, 7:57 PM
the ATF FAQ is misleading/incorrect.

Here is the code:

If shipped to one of those bolded persons, no written notice is required.

Touche salesman. I didn't read the code, only the FAQ. So, written notice may not be required, but what about any notice. I have some reading to do.

ke6guj
01-27-2009, 8:02 PM
Touche salesman. I didn't read the code, only the FAQ which isn't "confusing," it states the wrong information.
Yup, the FAQ totally skips the most important part of that section. What is funny is that just about every shipment in interstate traffic to a person other than those bolded above would be a violation of federal law. So, if you are gonna violate one section of federal law, be sure to notify UPS/FEDex that you are shipping a firearm so you don't violate a second section of federal law.:D

ohsmily
01-27-2009, 8:08 PM
Yup, the FAQ totally skips the most important part of that section. What is funny is that just about every shipment in interstate traffic to a person other than those bolded above would be a violation of federal law. So, if you are gonna violate one section of federal law, be sure to notify UPS/FEDex that you are shipping a firearm so you don't violate a second section of federal law.:D

After looking at 18 USC 922 and 27 CFR 478.31, I see that I was wrong about stating that it violated the law to fail to disclose to a common carrier that you are shipping a firearm. Having said that, I believe it is the policy of these companies that you must declare a firearm to them. If you claim it is machined metal parts or sporting goods and your package is lost or damaged, it is unlikely you will be able to collect any potential insurance that you had on the item.