PDA

View Full Version : AR vs Mini 14 for wife

eighteenninetytwo
01-27-2009, 10:13 AM
I was looking for a carbine AR 15 for the wife for SHTF scenarios. Occurred to me that I'm not needing MoA accuracy , just reliability and ease of use and handling. Plus of course the wooden stock may reduce recoil a little and it's still using the same ammo as me. Any thought on this folks?

Black Majik
01-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Unless you monsterman it, I'd go for the Mini-14 (though damn they're pricey nowadays) for the detachable mags.

Though, have you looked into a Saiga? Plenty fine for SHTF application. :)

AR and Mini have the advantage of standard/hi-cap if you owned them prior to 2000.

Crusader
01-27-2009, 10:17 AM
I like the AR's ability to shoot 5.56, as well as the fact that it just feels good. I can't describe it, but everything lines up perfectly.

Having said that, I also really like the Mini 14. It's a handy little firearm and looks purdy with a good wood stock on it.

But if you can afford it at this moment in time, I'd advise an AR. I don't think there's any way you could feasibly shoot enough ammo to cause significant performance drop in the AR platform.

tiger222
01-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Whatever she feels is best in her hands.

andrewj
01-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Ask her

fuegoslow
01-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Get 'em both. If you hesitate, you may regret it!

fusionstar
01-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Let her handle a
Saiga
ar
keltec
mini

then whichever one she chooses, there's a 50% chance you'll have to paint it a girly color down the road.

eighteenninetytwo
01-27-2009, 11:04 AM
LOL :)

hnoppenberger
01-27-2009, 11:09 AM
i would hand mine a 10/22. its the only thing she can handle well and actually shoot ok too.

plenty of firepower. that or a shotgun.

X-NewYawker
01-27-2009, 11:33 AM
I still wonder about the advisability of the AR platform for a SHTF gun in CA -- with a BB installed, the chorus here will shout, "easy to switch back to original button" -- which is a LIE, if the barbarians are kicking in your front door or if you're at work and your wife is home alone -- unless you're telling me that you keep your ARs in detachable mag condition in your house and only install the BB when you're going to the range (A crime) it's why I always recommend a revolver to first time gun buyers -- easier to see if it is empty, up to 8 shots of 357 mag -- easier for the homeowner to use in a stressful situation. Watching the guys build my lower -- I would be worrie about losing a spring switching out my mag release (If I had kept the original) in a dark house under pressure.

Yeah I know, these SHTF situations ALWAYS give you plenty of warning -- like earthquakes do, or the LA riots did.
I was driving from Angeles Range back to my home in the Palisades when the news on the radio said the city was in flames -- the Rodney King riots had started.

My shooting buddy and I looked at each other -- in our enthusiasm, we'd shot all the ammo we took with us -- we had a car full of empty guns and as far as we knew the 405 was stopped by roving gangs.

Of course our houses weren't threatened, but I now make sure I keep one loaded mag at the end of the range day.

emc002
01-27-2009, 11:43 AM
My wife has had a Mini14 for about 3 years. We went to a Tactical Rifle class together at Weapons Training School in Sonora.
She started having to take breaks about 4 hours into shooting, "the gun's getting too heavy".
We both had 3 point slings, so it wasn't like she was holding it all day.

Prior to that, I'd been bugging her to get a AR and get rid of the Mini. No dice.
So after she said that the 3rd time that day, I said, "here, shoot mine".
Her comment? "That's so light! Build me one, but I don't want it in black"

Your results may vary.

RedDawn
01-27-2009, 12:21 PM
My wife prefers my Mini-14. She doesn't like my AR's and commented that they "look dangerous." Go figure. She gets too nervous to shoot any good groups with the AR's.

Norcalkid
01-27-2009, 12:25 PM
My wife prefers my Mini-14. She doesn't like my AR's and commented that they "look dangerous." Go figure. She gets too nervous to shoot any good groups with the AR's.

Give her a shotgun. Won’t have to worry about grouping.:D

aplinker
01-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Has she shot either? Both?

I'd have her shoot them.

I'd also suggest looking into a Marlin Camp Carbine, Ruger PC4/9, etc. Pistol caliber rifles are light, have little recoil and are VERY effective.

al g blenny
01-27-2009, 1:16 PM
I still wonder about the advisability of the AR platform for a SHTF gun in CA -- with a BB installed, the chorus here will shout, "easy to switch back to original button" -- which is a LIE, if the barbarians are kicking in your front door or if you're at work and your wife is home alone -- unless you're telling me that you keep your ARs in detachable mag condition in your house and only install the BB when you're going to the range (A crime) it's why I always recommend a revolver to first time gun buyers -- easier to see if it is empty, up to 8 shots of 357 mag -- easier for the homeowner to use in a stressful situation. Watching the guys build my lower -- I would be worrie about losing a spring switching out my mag release (If I had kept the original) in a dark house under pressure.

Don't forget there is such a thing as a featureless build.

WokMaster1
01-27-2009, 1:18 PM
I was looking for a carbine AR 15 for the wife for SHTF scenarios. Occurred to me that I'm not needing MoA accuracy , just reliability and ease of use and handling. Plus of course the wooden stock may reduce recoil a little and it's still using the same ammo as me. Any thought on this folks?

do a search for a post by chunger. He built a really nice U-15 stock AR for his wife. They actually went to a tactical gun class & the instructors were using her rifle as a show-tell demo. It's pretty light with mad pink camo duracoat.

See post 34
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=75169&highlight=chunger

supermario
01-27-2009, 5:35 PM
I agree with X-Newyawker! Im taking my wife shooting tomorrow or this weekend, gonna have her try out the Ar pistol, keltec, saiga and lmt Ar. In my opinion, the keltec is the lightest and easiest to use for a woman or unexperienced person. My nieces liked the keltec alot becus it was simple and light. And for those of you say the keltec is not reliable, i think that is bull. I have shot mine tons of times without a single jam.. I even shot a "preban" 120round drum with my keltec and shot flawless. It wasnt light with the drum:D. In the end a revolver is best i think!

wash
01-27-2009, 5:58 PM
Will you have an AR?

Interchangability would be something to keep in mind.

I really like my featureless AR with a Monster Man grip.

I can put an "evil" pistol grip on it in just a few minutes if I want to but the MMG won't really slow me down much.

My AR is an A2, not a flat top. The iron sights will hold zero as well as any scope and they are a lot more durable.

I don't think I'll need tactical this ot tactical that, it's simple and I like it.

Flying Bones
01-27-2009, 6:42 PM
Mini 14 = SIMPLE.
AR15 w/BB + Prince Wrench = SIMPLE, but not as simple as the Mini.
But for SHTF how about a 20g? Do you expect your wife to be making shots from 25+ Yds? I struggle with this decision too. I have more less decided that she's best off next to me with a 20g than she is next to me with an AR. But I don't have one of those commando type wives either. She'd pretty much be freaked out...much like most of the boys around here would probably do!

Somekindagenius
01-27-2009, 6:44 PM

Yeah I know, these SHTF situations ALWAYS give you plenty of warning -- like earthquakes do, or the LA riots did.
I was driving from Angeles Range back to my home in the Palisades when the news on the radio said the city was in flames -- the Rodney King riots had started.

My shooting buddy and I looked at each other -- in our enthusiasm, we'd shot all the ammo we took with us -- we had a car full of empty guns and as far as we knew the 405 was stopped by roving gangs.

Of course our houses weren't threatened, but I now make sure I keep one loaded mag at the end of the range day.

Don't forget we now have the bullet button wrench. 15 seconds and you're ready to roll.

Seesm
01-27-2009, 7:21 PM
15 seconds and your illegal... JK :)

But let's be real here he is NOT really looking for something for his wife.. He IS looking for another rifle for himself (she will say it is ok to spend because she "thinks" it's hers) and she will shoot it once in awhile... :)

Btw the Mini is chambered in 5.56 but says .223 for Civilian looks... RUger told me this so need to tell me I am wrong...

I say have a mini for her if your going the centerfire way... It's a solid oldschool reliable rifle... Superior to the AR if times get dirty persay... BUT I think you need a AR as well..

But a 1022 with your (if you have one) preban hi cap mags... is a light rifle with almost no recoil for her to pluck zombies off (head shots) :)

Seesm
01-27-2009, 11:37 PM
yeah the kel tec woudl be a good "light" dealio...

SoundFX
01-28-2009, 4:19 AM
With some effort and a couple of aftermarket mods you can turn a mini into a mean lil' bastard with a Napoleon complex.

http://www.imagecoast.com/images/SoundFX/sc02929.jpg
http://www.imagecoast.com/images/SoundFX/sc02952.jpg

g17owner
01-28-2009, 7:00 AM

Bullet button whats a bullet button? FTW
haha

Californio
01-28-2009, 7:16 AM
+1 for pistol cartridge rifles. 1894C ? Ability to hit the targets aimed at is far superior than magazine capacity.

Give her all the test options and let her decide:)

Our female piece is a 870 20ga. 20" barrel, youth stock.

Somekindagenius
01-28-2009, 8:55 AM
15 seconds and your illegal... JK :)

He was talking about a SHTF situation. In that case I don't think legality is the biggest issue.

vwynn
01-28-2009, 10:55 AM
He was talking about a SHTF situation. In that case I don't think legality is the biggest issue.

Unless u get caught by some cop :mad:

It all depends on what training she has... In a CQB SHTF situation would your wife be able to use a rifle effectively and safetly?

i cant even get my gf to open up my knife correctly -_-.. n she gets scared when i hand it to her.. she thinks i might stab her or something.. sigh...

Seesm
01-28-2009, 11:57 AM
No of course I knew he was talking SHTF but that is why I threw the smile :)

But really ...We just need to get the whole "You need a BB and only 10 round mags to be legal" on your rifle deal dropped anyway...

We have rights and should be able to have full auto... Do we need full auto (NO) Do we have the money to fire full auto (ME NO) BUT having said that (I know I am jacking the thread sorry) We shoudl be able to run it anyway we want as long as we can own a gun...