PDA

View Full Version : Including bayonet in OAL

DrediKnight
01-27-2009, 10:56 AM
What are your opinions on including a permantly attached Bayonet in OAL? Is that the same as adding a rod on the back of the rifle or a fake can to bring it up to 30"+? I am asking about this as there is a underfolder for sale that I want to buy but wanted to check first as the ad seems to have been locked. Thanks!

yellowfin
01-27-2009, 10:58 AM
California law hates bayonets, for whatever reason, so I wouldn't count on it.

caduckgunner
01-27-2009, 11:00 AM

Based on what? Bayonet lugs have never been banned by the state, just the federal AW ban.

THE 0NE
01-27-2009, 11:02 AM
when folded install bayonet if barrel is 16 inch it does not have to be permeant only have it on there when folded

shark92651
01-27-2009, 12:17 PM
when folded install bayonet if barrel is 16 inch it does not have to be permeant only have it on there when folded

What are you basing that on?

hawk1
01-27-2009, 1:24 PM

I don't think so. As soon as someone removes the bayonet while folded it is illegal.

My concern was where would you be if your blade was broken off by _______? You can fill in the blank with whatever name you like.

Lateralus
01-27-2009, 3:01 PM
What are you basing that on?

He is right shark.

If your barrel is 16" and you need to reach 30" OAL w/ a folding stock, you do not need to permanently affix the bayonet for it to be legal. Its the same reason you dont need to permanently fix your stock on a fixed stock build; the law never says it needs to be permanent for OAL, just barrel length. In this regard, arent you breaking the law every time you remove the stock on your Off list Romy G? Same logic.

It IS NOT SMART. Any LEO who had a bad day could remove it and when it comes to your word against his, youre SOL. But it is legal.

dfletcher
01-27-2009, 3:19 PM
Regarding permanently attached, most ranges I've been to require that bayonets be removed (or folded) as a safety hazard - someone walking back from downrange could wander into one on their return trip. At least that's waht I hear being told to the guys who leave them on.

CSACANNONEER
01-27-2009, 4:35 PM

Please cite PC? I'm willing to bet you can't because the state of California that I live in doesn't care about bayonets at all!

adamsreeftank
01-27-2009, 10:54 PM
Regarding permanently attached, most ranges I've been to require that bayonets be removed (or folded) as a safety hazard - someone walking back from downrange could wander into one on their return trip. At least that's waht I hear being told to the guys who leave them on.

You could take the bayonet off when the stock is open.

ohsmily
01-27-2009, 11:12 PM
You could take the bayonet off when the stock is open.

No, CA measures with stock folded.

DDT
01-27-2009, 11:40 PM
No, CA measures with stock folded.

Actually this is not completely true. I am fairly certain that California law measures OAL with the stock in the shortest configuration from which the weapon is able to be fired. So, if you attached a trigger block that fit behind the trigger then the stock is folded to prevent the firearm from being fired with the stock folded I don't think the OAL would be a problem. It would seem to be a very simple modification to a folded stock.

hawk1
01-28-2009, 8:22 AM
Actually this is not completely true. I am fairly certain that California law measures OAL with the stock in the shortest configuration from which the weapon is able to be fired. So, if you attached a trigger block that fit behind the trigger then the stock is folded to prevent the firearm from being fired with the stock folded I don't think the OAL would be a problem. It would seem to be a very simple modification to a folded stock.

First you say 'this is not completely true', then you say 'I am fairly certain', and then go on to say 'I don't think the OAL would be a problem'. Before you call someone out on being wrong you should be sure yourself. ;)