PDA

View Full Version : New to CalGuns. Few Questions.

Colinruss
01-27-2009, 10:26 AM
I have a couple questions. First is where can I find a site that stocks all of the parts needed to make a complete AR-15 online. I haven't been able to find anything, I just want to see what I might expect to pay and to compare. I have plans to build an AR-15 in the near future.

My other question is about optics. Is it really worth spending 4-600 on an Eotech or the other brands. I remember this same issue came up when I wanted a scope for my bolt action. People said you needed to spend a lot on optics. I got a Nikon Buckmasters for 189$ and it's a great scope.

My final question is about the FLL of a lower. My dad is a police officer so could he just buy it and not have to wait...right? Then he could give it to me, I read something somewhere about how you don't have to do a PPT if it's your parents or grandparents. I saw this http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-20313.html

whatever
01-27-2009, 10:30 AM
RE: optics. What do you intend to do with your AR? If you are heading to battle in an adverse environment, you'll need to get the most rugged (Aimpoint, EOTech, etc). If you are going plinking at the range a few times a year you don't need anything too fancy.

The T-168 scope should be fine or something similar (google it).

Shane916
01-27-2009, 11:22 AM
I have a couple questions. First is where can I find a site that stocks all of the parts needed to make a complete AR-15 online. I haven't been able to find anything, I just want to see what I might expect to pay and to compare. I have plans to build an AR-15 in the near future.

My other question is about optics. Is it really worth spending 4-600 on an Eotech or the other brands. I remember this same issue came up when I wanted a scope for my bolt action. People said you needed to spend a lot on optics. I got a Nikon Buckmasters for 189$ and it's a great scope.

My final question is about the FLL of a lower. My dad is a police officer so could he just buy it and not have to wait...right? Then he could give it to me, I read something somewhere about how you don't have to do a PPT if it's your parents or grandparents. I saw this http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-20313.html

Complete AR's now days go for $1,300+

Optics are very subjective as it depends on what weapon, what distance, what goals etc.

Your dad has to wait the 10 days despite the fact he is a LEO

He can give you the rifle as a gift later as long as you are not prohibited.

Colinruss
01-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Makes no sense as to why he would have to wait. Probably has to wait 10 days before he can use deadly force to? I think its like 3 for the taser...

Shane916
01-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Makes no sense as to why he would have to wait.

California doesn't make sense in general :)

Shane916
01-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Makes no sense as to why he would have to wait. Probably has to wait 10 days before he can use deadly force to? I think its like 3 for the taser...

I sell Tasers and there is no wait. For civilians just a simple background check to acquire the activation code.

ohsmily
01-27-2009, 11:52 AM
People said you needed to spend a lot on optics. I got a Nikon Buckmasters for 189$ and it's a great scope.

That's because you probably have it zeroed at 100 yards and shoot off of a bench, don't carry the rifle around and beat it up, don't often (if ever) adjust the windage and elevation on the scope, don't shoot past 600 yards, and don't shoot in low light or otherwise bad conditions. The scope if fine for shooting on a nice day at the range at 100 yards after being zeroed.

FrankG
01-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Far as getting it for a leo.... most shops require a letter from the officers department allowing him to wave the 10 day... and its for duty use... thats the way i understand it atleast...

Shane916
01-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Far as getting it for a leo.... most shops require a letter from the officers department allowing him to wave the 10 day... and its for duty use... thats the way i understand it atleast...

Correct. A letterhead from the department stating that the weapon is for official use can be used to waive the 10 day wait.

Weapons for personal use, as this would be, are not eligible.