PDA

View Full Version : Quick SKS question...

ZRX61
01-27-2009, 5:48 AM
Was told about a couple last night that "Look very old, wrapped in the original paper & covered in some kind of grease stuff"...
oh great, I hate cosmoline :(
Going to take a look later, will Chinese, Russian etc be easily identified from each other?
Anything I need to know?

Francis Marion
01-27-2009, 7:08 AM
Chinese will be stamped with Chinese characters, Russian with Cyrillic letters.
Easy as pie.

The cheapest/newest Chinese SKSs have a pinned barrel/receiver, instead of a threaded barrel/receiver. If you're going to give hard earned $ for an SKS, might want to avoid the pinned barrel in favor of the original design.

You can tell if the barrel is pinned or threaded by looking at where the barrel meets the receiver. If you see flats on the barrel for a barrel wrench, it's threaded. If the barrel is a cylinder, no flats, it's pinned.
Russian SKS will always be threaded.

Inspect the barrel before you buy; if that's in proper shape, you have a viable prospect. Further confirmation that everything is in order is when the bolt, bolt carrier, trigger group are all serialized to your receiver. Mismatch does not mean bad, though, necessarily.

ZRX61
01-27-2009, 7:27 AM
okee doke, I'll take pics. Apparently none of this stuff has been looked at in 30 years..

ddimick
01-27-2009, 7:44 AM
Check out the information at http://www.simonov.net. It will tell you everything you need to know.

Edit: Specifically the UberFAQ at http://www.simonov.net/uberfaq.htm.

Francis Marion
01-27-2009, 7:54 AM
okee doke, I'll take pics. Apparently none of this stuff has been looked at in 30 years..

That's very interesting; by any chance, were these war trophys? If so, they're no doubt historically correct, and very unique. If you can get the story written down of how they were acquired, with units, dates, facts, anecdotes, that would make a super accompaniment to these arms, and will be a great investment, besides the rifles themselves being irreplacable historic artifacts.

Full Clip
01-27-2009, 8:14 AM
No, no, no...
You love cosmoline. It keeps SKSs fresh and rust free after decades of storage.

donbing
01-27-2009, 8:37 AM
Chances are they're not war trophies. I'd expect that few GIs would bother cosmolining something for long term storage if they went through the trouble of getting it back stateside. There's probably an import mark on the receiver on the flat where the serial number is or on the barrel.

My college job was working for a firearms importer in Sacramento. That importer brought in thousands of SKS rifles from China. The Chinese seemed to smother everything, from magazines to rifles to oilers, in a dark, tar colored cosmoline. Some of the SKS rifles came in crates, 40 pcs each. When we'd pry off the lids all you'd see were the front sights belonging to the top row of rifles sticking out of the cosmoline. We'd use wire with handles like a garrote to get them apart like dental floss. Then we'd rub off a spot on the receiver to confirm serial numbers and put the import mark nearby.

For shipping we ended up using wax paper over the cosmoline covered rifles so they wouldn't soak through the shipping boxes. For the guys who complained, we throw in some styrafoam peanuts too, just to make cleaning a little bit more fun.

I can't mention some of the ways we used to clean the ones that we'd bring over for sale at the retail store as we probably violated every safety and environmental law on the books at the time. Except, during the summer when it was 100 degrees we'd load a bunch into the bed of a pickup and take them to a hi pressure car wash place and blast them with hi pressure water and detergent, then leave them in the sun for a bit to dry out.

No matter what you do to clean them, the stocks will likely ooze grease whenever they get warm.

ZRX61
01-27-2009, 4:21 PM
Missed the person this morning, will try again tomorrow. I think I need a semi auto to go with my 8 bolt actions..

SJgunguy24
01-27-2009, 5:37 PM
Missed the person this morning, will try again tomorrow. I think I need a semi auto to go with my 8 bolt actions..

I love SKS's but I.M.H.O. get an AK first.