PDA

View Full Version : Taking 30 round AK mags apart and driving in to Ca

B.D.Dubloon
01-27-2009, 2:13 AM
I have a buddy who lives in Arizona and I visit him a couple times a year to shoot and hang out. I had three 30 used rounders shipped to him (45 shipped, I think a good deal) with the idea of taking them apart and bringing them here and reassembling them as 10/30s, or having him take them apart and mail them disassembled to me. I am pretty sure that either of these would be legal, but I want to make sure before I commit a federal. If not, I'll just leave them there and use them when I am visiting.

Thanks,
BDD

leelaw
01-27-2009, 2:38 AM
Both examples given are legal.

Make sure the modification to 10 rounds or less is permanent.

B.D.Dubloon
01-27-2009, 2:50 AM
I thought so. I figure I'll use some dowel epoxy, I read a thing somewhere about someone getting a good result that way.

BDD

pfl101
01-27-2009, 5:53 AM
Some where there's a document posted where the DOJ admits that possession of all of the unassembled components for a high-cap mag is not illegal. I'd print that up if I were you. It might not get you out of trouble but it might help to convince LEOs that you're still in the right.

The only concern is if you're stopped and someone accuses you of importation of high-cap mags. It might be hard to prove your intentions were to reduce them to 10/30 mags.

Why can't you reduce them at your friend's house and bring them back in a totally legal fashion? It would be a lot safer.

motorhead
01-27-2009, 8:48 AM
state not fed. have him strip them and mail. unless you're headed that way.

MrTuffPaws
01-27-2009, 10:27 AM
state not fed. have him strip them and mail. unless you're headed that way.

Or if you are really paranoid, have him ship the bodies in one box, and the springs and followers in another.