PDA

View Full Version : Long Range Question

delta 1/7
01-26-2009, 8:42 PM
How does the Remington 700 in .308 , 30-06 ,or .270 do in long range?
:confused:

skkeeter
01-26-2009, 8:46 PM
How far is long range for you? The remington 700 is a superb platform to start shooting at distances. You have to know what your doing to become a long range shooter. Time, patience, and lots of gunpowder. All of the bullets you mentioned will reach out to 1000 yards in the hands of a capable shooter.

rayra
01-26-2009, 8:59 PM
You must be joking. Sporting a mil nic and a 'Death Card' avatar and you don't have any clue about the long use of Rem 700s and those calibers? wth.

jgraham15
01-26-2009, 9:04 PM
You must be joking. Sporting a mil nic and a 'Death Card' avatar and you don't have any clue about the long use of Rem 700s and those calibers? wth.

:kest: :owned:

nobs11
01-26-2009, 9:05 PM

Blame it on video games ;)

To help people answer your question, how long is long and what do you want to do with it? Hunt? Compete? They are all excellent rounds.

Pthfndr
01-26-2009, 9:21 PM

Hey, maybe he was the Btln quartermaster's clerk and never got out of his chair. Those who serve, serve, no matter where or what they do to serve.

(but I have to agree with you anyway ;))

delta 1/7
01-26-2009, 9:31 PM
not like i need to justify myself to you or anyone for that matter.... but if you must know

the calling card is from my dads platoon
Delta Co.
3rd platoon
1st battalion
7th marines
1st Marine Division
Que Son Mountains Quang Nam Province Vietnam
69-70

and now to answer the question that the other guy asked ,,,how far do i think is long range? id say over 800 yards
But ill admit that i am farily new to shooting and i dont have answers to every question thats why i ask here on calguns

rayra thanks for your input im glad there are still people like u around to assume info before asking....

mxndrnks
01-26-2009, 9:41 PM
If you really want to learn more about long range shooting then hop over to Sniper's Hide. Spend some time reading, Dont get into a pissing match and you will learn a ton from the guys on that site. There are a lot that are Marine sniper's, LEO Sniper's, love shooting, and are some of the top competition shooter's on that site. You will also find a bunch just like any other site.

That site is more dedicated to long range shooting then here.... not to say you wont get great info here....

nobs11
01-26-2009, 10:31 PM
and now to answer the question that the other guy asked ,,,how far do i think is long range? id say over 800 yards

Long distance shooting requires quite a bit of training. A 700 in any of the calibers you specified will do well. 308 is the usual, most versatile choice.

First start at short distances, learn to control your breathing, proper posture, consistent cheek weld and tens of other things. Then gradually increase the distance.

Also, people might be more willing to help you more if you take the jabbing in your stride. Can't learn with an attitude.

ar15barrels
01-26-2009, 10:42 PM
How does the Remington 700 in .308 , 30-06 ,or .270 do in long range?
:confused:

I shoot my 308 out to 1000yds without issues.
You just need to have a scope with enough elevation adjustment and preferrably a 20moa base to help you use more of the available adjustment.

Where are you located?
Maybe we can put you in touch with other long range shooters to show you the ropes.
CaPRC will be hosting a few longrange introductory clinics this year in So-Cal.
Stay tuned to the CaPRC subforum for details when they become available.

StraightShooter
01-26-2009, 10:52 PM
Out of the three choices i would list them in the order you did from best to worst.

30-06

When the CaPRC clinics start up that would be a great way to get into the sport. Get a rem 700p or varmint and a decent scope and come out and see what you can do. Good ammo is a necessity.

supermario
01-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Wow, i was thinking that the 270 is a better choice than the 30-06 and 308, its a flatter shooting bullet, isnt it? Less drop than that other two! Also, you should include 300win mag, that will get you out there with serious knock down power, then again that doesnt matter unless your hunting huh!

ar15barrels
01-26-2009, 11:38 PM
Wow, i was thinking that the 270 is a better choice than the 30-06 and 308, its a flatter shooting bullet, isnt it?

No match grade factory ammo.
Very limited choices in match grade bullets for reloading.
30 calibers rule in these respects.

Sky_DiveR
01-27-2009, 1:17 AM
OP... FYI, you will probably get the same ribbing at Snipers Hide if you display the same mil card/nic and ask the same question. Don't be surprised!

I'm thinking about getting into LR shooting also and you will get "alot" of info there. Nonetheless, you will get some ribbing from noob questions. I did. Read the posts and learn before you post. They will answer alot of your questions and alot you haven't even thought of yet.

You never mentioned where you are located. If you are around Sac, there's an LR clinic in April. Don't know if they are full-up yet but if they are, don't worry, they'll have another towards (I think) the end of summer.

delta 1/7
01-27-2009, 5:07 PM
im actually in the los angeles area,
but shoot mostly lytle creek ,due to the fact that is close to where the rest of the people i shoot with live.

I realize it was a noob like question, but if we dont ask questions , how will we learn?

thanks for info

ar15barrels
01-27-2009, 5:42 PM
im actually in the los angeles area

Stay tuned for the CaPRC clinics then.
We are working on our range almost every weekend to hopefully be ready for the first clinic at the end of march.