PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Tuna Fishing

Thefeeder
01-26-2009, 9:12 PM
I'm planning a tuna trip...Any advice on the better boats to book, best time of year to go and so on......Stating with a 1 1/2 day trip to get a feel for it Thanks

ivanimal
01-26-2009, 9:20 PM
Marcelo calling Marcello!

G-Man WC
01-26-2009, 9:56 PM
Do a search on Fishermans Landing in San Diego. I've only been on a few boats (Royal Polaris - Excel) but not in a few years. I'd wait till June - July when the water warms up for Albacore. On a 1 -2 day trip it would be your best bet for the $. -gary

devildog999
01-27-2009, 12:50 AM
Bring flash bangs ;) No skill required, concussion will kill them. That's how I'd do it......if they'd let me ;)

Wildhorse1966
01-27-2009, 1:29 AM
i recomend checking out bloodydecks.com and reading past reports ... people on that site will tell you like it is so if you cant handle the heat you wont like that site .. overall there is tons of good info there

jrs66vette
01-27-2009, 7:46 AM
For the last 3 years I've been fishing on the Royal Star. 5 & 7 day trips, but they have some 3 dayer's. Check their web site and call Tracy, great lady with lots of knowledge.

Thefeeder
01-27-2009, 8:46 PM
To all....thanks for the links

hooookup
01-27-2009, 10:05 PM
Condor out of Fishermans Landing. Capt. Scott Meisel is a bad *** mother ****er, brown belt in BJJ and an incredible fisherman.

TadyMan
01-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Just fish TADY LURES!!! You wont regret it. All the landings in SD have them.

hooookup
01-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Tady 45, with the flat front mold. Harnell 542 chopped 3", Newell P332, 50lb Izor. Good to go!

TadyMan
01-28-2009, 1:42 PM
Yup to the above post. I just got a harnell. Its going to kick my but. Used to fishing the lighter Tady rods. Come see us at the Day at the Docks in SD on Sunday, April 19. We will be having a small booth to display jigs and sell t-shirts. We will also be at the Fred Hall Show the first week of March. Anyone has any questions feel free to ask. As far as the flat nose 45's, they do swim pretty good but our new sandcast models with the pointy nose swim the best. At least in my opinion.

hooookup
01-28-2009, 1:47 PM
Yup to the above post. I just got a harnell. Its going to kick my but. Used to fishing the lighter Tady rods. Come see us at the Day at the Docks in SD on Sunday, April 19. We will be having a small booth to display jigs and sell t-shirts. We will also be at the Fred Hall Show the first week of March. Anyone has any questions feel free to ask. As far as the flat nose 45's, they do swim pretty good but our new sandcast models with the pointy nose swim the best. At least in my opinion.

You work for TADY?!?!?! My new best friend!!! I used to love it when Cesar would bring the tady van down when I worked at Fishermans Landing! The Tady blanks are amazing and the closest thing I have seen to Harnells.

reloadyour9
01-28-2009, 8:45 PM
Pay for some of the gas, beer, and help washi it afterwards, and we'll go out on this......http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=138055

That is if it doesnt sell before summer

5150Marcelo
01-28-2009, 8:48 PM
Marcelo calling Marcello!

You Rang????????????????????:D

5150Marcelo
01-28-2009, 9:38 PM
I'm planning a tuna trip...Any advice on the better boats to book, best time of year to go and so on......Stating with a 1 1/2 day trip to get a feel for it Thanks

1 1/2 day trip, if you wanna go all out, go on one of the premier boats like Shogun, Independence, Intrepid, Excel and so on. These boats will only run these shorter trips during the summer months. In August, they usually start runnnin longer trips (4+ days). These boats cost alot more to ride, but VERY worth it ($300-ish per day). CAUTION tho, you will be spoiled and not wanna ride any of the other boats after fishing these sleds!!! Thats fine, but gets it does get pretty pricy... especially if you are doing ultiple trips per year.

ETA*** Looks like the Shogun is the only premier boat doing a 1 1/2 day trips this year (July)... the other boats are sticking to 4 days or more.

For a more 'beginner' but more upper notch of the B group boats, id either go on the New Lo An, Legend (Owner/operator Shawn Trowbridge is a fish KILLER!), Pacific Queen, Outter Limits, Prowler (Buzz is a great Owner/operator, very friendly guy, fishing machine, and his son Briz is a yellowtail killer. I fished with these guys in 2007 on the Intrepid 10 day trip) and the Cortez. These usually run about $200-ish per day.

The boats id stay farrrrr away from are the Malahini, Samarai, Big Game 90 (persomal preference, but some say its a good boat but ahhhhh. I'll pass) and the Cherokee Giesha.

For a first timer, id want my experience to be as good as it can get. Just remember, youre not guaranteed to catch squat. If you were, it'd be called catching, not fishing. I wouldnt want to break the bank either, but if you can spend the extra buck, do the Shogun trip. Norm and Bruce are stellar Capt's and fishermen and work hard and not afraid to burn the fuel YOU paid for.
Beware, once you ride the premier boats, then step down to a regualr cattle boat, you WILL see the difference and realize what youre missing. But, like I said, the Shogun trip runs about $450 for a 1 1/2 day , as the New Lo An would run about 300-ish.

If you cant do the 'Gun, do the Lo-An with owner/operator Mark. Both these boats are WIDE and low to the water. I belive the Shogun includes to food (gourmet style!!!) and the New Lo-An is pay for what you eat.. typical hamburgers, burritos, sammiches and chili bowls.

New Lo-An
http://www.newlo-an.com/images/shots/01.jpg

Shogun
http://www.charkbait.com/Charter/shogun.jpg

If you have anymore q's, lemme know. Im kind of a n00b at this, but im learing... JK :p
I usually do a 10 day in Nov and a 16 day in Dec every year that im able too. I dont really have the time to do more trips, so i go all out on the 1 or 2 that I do. I usually ride the Independence
http://www.youngstackle.com/images/LongRa2.gif

and the Intrepid
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn173/5150Marcelo/intrepid.jpg

Heres a cow yellowfin tuna I caught in 2007 on the Intrepid on a 10 day trip. You can see more of them in my catch behind me at my feet. I caught 5 over 200lbs, SEVERAL from 100-198, wahoo, TONS of yellowtail and more Dorado (Mahi Mahi) than you can shake a stick at. You'll get hooked!
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn173/5150Marcelo/giantmagbayyellowfintuna.jpg

This one went 252lbs. I caught it outside Magdelena Bay at the southern banks 60 miles north of cabo.

On a 1 1/2 day trip, expect to catch albacore tuna 15-25 pounds and 40 pounders are not uncommon.

Man, Im ready to gooooooooooo!!!

5150Marcelo
01-28-2009, 9:51 PM
Oh yeah, heres another piece of advice. If you do an overnight trip, do a 1 1/2 dayer, like you want to do.

If you want to do a 2 day, may as well make it a 3 and try for some bluefin.

If your shootin for a 3 day, make it a 5 day, and this is where you will get into the tropical waters and bigger fish... usually. Youll head about 220 miles south into Mexican waters to Guadelupe Island. SOMETIMES on a 4 day, you MIGHT hit Guadelupe Island, but they ususally hit the 'Lupe on 5 days and more. Here you'll fish for yellowfin tuna to 100 pounds, and world trophy class yellowtail fishing. World record was caught here... it was in the 90 pound class. Nothing beats night fishing for huge yellowtail at Guadelupe. You will also see ALOT of great whites here, as its is, pound for pound, the most populated area for great whites.

If you want to do a 7 day, make it 8. This will ensure you a trip down to the northern part of the Ridge and Alejos Rocks for Wahoo, Dorados, and Yellowfin tuna, plus Marlin up the ying yang, but on these trips, you will learn that you HATE marlin. They are not any good to you. You cant keep them, and you wont like them to eat anyway. Go for what is intended. Tuna, Wahoo, and etc.

If you plan an 8 day, may as well do 10. 10 day trips are the best bang for your buck. You'll fish all the way down at Mag Bay for giant tuna, the entire Ridge for all of the above, Alijos Rocks for moar tuna and wahoo and spectacular view of what should be a world wonder. 250+ miles offshore, middle of no where, and boom, these huge rocks with a shallow reef pop right up outta the water. Pretty bad ***. From there, youll hit Cedros Island for WIDE open yellowtail 15-50 pounds. Then on to Punto Canoas for some white sea bass to 70 pounds. Then work you way back up north to the US/Mexico line for a top off of Albacore and possible some bluefin.

If youre interested, they also have trips up to 28 days too, but I cant hang that long with out some 'tang.... if ya know what I mean;):D

TadyMan
01-29-2009, 11:54 AM
HooohUp, if you like fishing harnells, have you seen the new tady fiberglass rods? They are from CUI and they are probably the closest thing to a Harnell. The best part about it is that they are cheap. We should have all of them on display at the FHS. Most likely Baha Fish Gear should carry them at the show. If not we can still fun the deal through Fishermans Landing if you like. It would be no problem for me. Good luck and thanks for the support.

hooookup
01-29-2009, 12:01 PM
HooohUp, if you like fishing harnells, have you seen the new tady fiberglass rods? They are from CUI and they are probably the closest thing to a Harnell. The best part about it is that they are cheap. We should have all of them on display at the FHS. Most likely Baha Fish Gear should carry them at the show. If not we can still fun the deal through Fishermans Landing if you like. It would be no problem for me. Good luck and thanks for the support.

Im going to pick one up from Baja Fish Gear at the FHS LB show. Your new blanks are awesome.

hooookup
01-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Marcelo, Cameron and the boys on the Intrepid still talk about you.

TadyMan
01-29-2009, 12:17 PM
Talk about me? Wish I could say that I fished that boat. I work for a small shop sometimes in Chino called Kimuras Fishing Tackle and they charter the Indy twice a year. Sadly I havent been fishing much :( The past few years Ive been getting more and more into hunting and just shooting in general. My original thought was that I was going to hunt and shoot more because of the cost of trips these days but the price of shooting has gone up more than fuel prices.

rmeyer
01-30-2009, 11:37 AM
I fish on the Diawa Pacific out of H&M for the last 5 years. I take the day and a half boat usually late August early Sept. Have never had a bad year.

yellowfin
02-02-2009, 1:04 AM
Be sure to have a back harness, Braid preferably. The difference it makes is worth 10x its weight in gold.