PDA

View Full Version : A FOUND AK 47

IBUYGOLD
01-26-2009, 8:23 PM
So I was talking to a friend of mine today, who's brother passed away recently. While going through his stuff he found an AK (semi auto) and a bunch of magazines. He is all freaked out, and doesn't want to break any laws, but wants to keep his brothers gun.

Are there any conditions under which he could legally keep the rifle :confused:

g17owner
01-26-2009, 8:27 PM
He should have never told you thats for sure. Blabber mouth!!:D If it were me that rifle would never see the light of day. Either that or i would chop the receiver and build another from scratch with the parts.

oldschool88
01-26-2009, 8:30 PM
Find out if its a Registered Assault Weapon (or an un-registered one) or if its an OLL. If it is an AW theres no legal way to keep it that I am aware of. Either way he can keep the mags at least, as re-build kits. Im not sure if he could keep them assembled by claiming them as "found" that might be pushing it.

DRH
01-26-2009, 8:30 PM
If it is a listed AW by make and model then only the parts kit less the receiver can be saved. If it is not listed then the features must be removed or the magazine (less than 10 rds) permanently fixed. Refer to the AW flow chart in the tool bar up top for the AWs listed by make and model.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
01-26-2009, 8:38 PM
Buy a receiver and rebuild it.

deleted by PC police
01-26-2009, 8:43 PM
So I was talking to a friend of mine today, who's brother passed away recently. While going through his stuff he found an AK (semi auto) and a bunch of magazines. He is all freaked out, and doesn't want to break any laws, but wants to keep his brothers gun.

Tell him to move out of state. They will be happy to let him keep his rightfull inheritance in pretty much any other state.

Jpach
01-26-2009, 8:43 PM
If he found the mags he can keep them legally. If the AK is not listed, he can keep it legally (in a legally configuration of course). Let us know the make and model ASAP

IBUYGOLD
01-26-2009, 8:57 PM
If he found the mags he can keep them legally. If the AK is not listed, he can keep it legally (in a legally configuration of course). Let us know the make and model ASAP

The mags are 30 rds and forgive the naive question but besides a bullet button what else would it take to be legally configured?

Bowser
01-26-2009, 8:57 PM
Monster man grip...

workinwifdakids
01-26-2009, 9:27 PM
That rifle must now be lost in a tragic boating accident.

g17owner
01-26-2009, 9:29 PM
Yup what he said

GoingPro
01-26-2009, 10:25 PM
just keep it....now hes going to have a mighty fine saturday night special....

GoingPro
01-26-2009, 10:26 PM
just playin.... haha find out and see if its an OLL if it isnt i would buy a new reciever.

jeffyboy
01-26-2009, 11:28 PM
You can't use the 30rd mags with a BB, you'll need to get a monsterman grip to do that (thats if keep it in CA).

aplinker
01-26-2009, 11:32 PM
You need to determine whether it's a listed AW (check the flow chart).

If it's not, remove the PG. You can then add a MMG, or a mag-lock and replace the PG.

If it's a listed AW you can't have it in CA.

Dark&Good
01-26-2009, 11:46 PM
Please inform us that you were just testing the calgunners' reactions, and that you made up the whole story.

Then clean it, apply lots of oil, wrap it in a greasy cloth, and bury it 3 feet deep, with 2000 rounds of ammo...

NSR500
01-26-2009, 11:48 PM
What AK47?

I don't see no AK47...

:hide:

Dr. Peter Venkman
01-26-2009, 11:50 PM
I'll give you $20 for it.

Fantasma
01-27-2009, 12:01 AM
50$ :p

nick
01-27-2009, 12:10 AM
$51.87

AndrewMendez
01-27-2009, 12:11 AM
IF YOU HAVE A FIXED MAGAZINE (BULLET BUTTON), I THOUGHT YOU DIDN'T NEED TO THROW ON A MONSTER MAN GRIP.

Dark&Good
01-27-2009, 12:13 AM
I'll give you 1 year if you don't give it to me, with your wallet and watch.

:D

Dark&Good
01-27-2009, 12:14 AM
I do envy you, man. I spent 1 year and 3 months in the Romanian army, that was my gun...

CSACANNONEER
01-27-2009, 6:27 AM
IF YOU HAVE A FIXED MAGAZINE (BULLET BUTTON), I THOUGHT YOU DIDN'T NEED TO THROW ON A MONSTER MAN GRIP.

If you have a BB, you can only use mags that are 10 rounds or less. If you have a featureless build, you do not want to install a BB. Instead, you want it to have a detachable mag configuration and then you can use normal mags.

motorhead
01-27-2009, 8:39 AM
you need to check the list. you may decide this thread was just part of a delusional episode brought on by too much stress.

The Director
01-27-2009, 8:45 AM
Please inform us that you were just testing the calgunners' reactions, and that you made up the whole story.

Then clean it, apply lots of oil, wrap it in a greasy cloth, and bury it 3 feet deep, with 2000 rounds of ammo...

What he said. Damn, It surprises me how people advertise this stuff....it's the INTERNET, pal, a public place. Mum's the word!

Mississippi
01-27-2009, 9:29 AM
you need to check the list. you may decide this thread was just part of a delusional episode brought on by too much stress.

+1000 on that!;)

xrMike
01-27-2009, 9:33 AM
If it was me, and it was listed, I'd chop the receiver and buy an off-list rcvr and make a new one or have a new one made with the parts.

Of course you are subject to illegal AW charges at any time prior to the chopping of the rcvr. But if you do it quickly and are sensible (don't sling the illegal AW over your shoulder before you go grocery shopping, don't talk about the illegal AW on the interweb, etc) this should not be an issue.

pfl101
01-27-2009, 9:53 AM
I'd further argue that the site loses credibility (and is open to attack by "outsiders") when people make suggestions that involve circumventing the law (e.g. burying the gun).

If the guy posted this for everyone to see and it's an illegal gun (i.e. "listed"), then he's got no truly legal option other than to arrange for its surrender. Other people have suggested that since it's a felony to transport it out of state that it's not worth it, especially given that OL AK-types can be bought at Cold War Shooters, et. al.

blackberg
01-27-2009, 9:54 AM
it was probably already chopped when he found it
:hide:

-bb

Ak47owner
01-27-2009, 9:56 AM
Tell your buddie to leave the weapon and mags in a trash can, in a undisclosed location and ill find it!! : )

aplinker
01-27-2009, 9:58 AM
I wouldn't chop and rebuild... the cost wouldn't be worth it. Sell and buy a new one. It's not like an AR.

Dark&Good
01-27-2009, 6:16 PM
I'd further argue that the site loses credibility (and is open to attack by "outsiders") when people make suggestions that involve circumventing the law (e.g. burying the gun).

I hope you're the only one here who doesn't know what's serious and what's joke...

Or do you think I'd be allowed to post here more than 400 times, if I had a "circumventing the law" attitude? :)

bplvr
01-27-2009, 7:22 PM
If it turns out to be a real no-no ,strip everything right down to the reciever .
Next time there is one of those police no questions buy back programs drop it off ,
collect your $200.00 and use the $$$ for a new LEGAL reciever.

saki302
01-28-2009, 1:15 PM
If it's a named weapon, take a hacksaw to the reciever (strip it down first!), cut out the middle (2 cuts), and toss it in the trash (center piece). congrats, you now have a legal demilled parts kit. Rebuild with NDS-3 receiver.

The AK receivers are so soft, I'd bet you could 'demill' it in 2 minutes with a 4 lb sledge if you took out the FCG parts first.

-Dave

Seesm
01-28-2009, 1:31 PM
There has to be a way to legally get his rifle into MY safe and have me shooting it by saturday morning no? JK

Toolbox X
01-28-2009, 1:34 PM
I do envy you, man. I spent 1 year and 3 months in the Romanian army, that was my gun...

WHAT?!?! Am I the only person wondering WTF?

Seesm
01-28-2009, 1:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark&Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox X

I was "thinking" the same thing....

Fate
01-28-2009, 5:56 PM
Why the :confused: about Dark&Good? It's entirely possible for someone who served in another country's military to be in the US on a visa or even a naturalized US citizen.

My great grand dad was an artillery man in the Tsar's army during the Russo-Japanese War. He later served in the Canadian Expeditionary Force in WWI and eventually became a US citizen. ;)

norcal-ar
01-28-2009, 6:49 PM
That rifle must now be lost in a tragic boating accident.

just tell us what lake!! and make sure its wrapped in plastic!

StoneTower
01-28-2009, 9:22 PM
Originally Posted by Dark&Good

Depending on his age (pre 1989)...all male Romanian citizens were required to serve at least one year in the military when they came of age. Many of those people immigrated to the U.S. after the government fell in 1989 and are now U.S. citizens. Some people immigrated before 1989 but it was like escaping from Germany.

While traveling from Bucharest to Transylvania by car a few years ago, we stopped in the middle of the road on a hydroelectric dam and were promptly greeted by 3 members of the Romanian army with real fully automatic versions of that weapon. I offered them a smoke, which fixed our transgression, and we went on our way.

Capt. Speirs
01-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Tell him to move out of state. They will be happy to let him keep his rightfull inheritance in pretty much any other state.

California really sucks, sorry, but it is true. This guy lost his brother and now he can't keep one of his possessions because he lives in Kalifornia. I have got to push my wife harder to leave this state before I go crazy.

tazmanian devil dog
01-28-2009, 10:47 PM
What AK? I don't have any AK.:innocent:

Dark&Good
01-29-2009, 2:48 AM
Yeah, I was born in Transylvania.

Pals, do you remember that joke, a guy finds an AK in Cali? :D

Toolbox X
01-29-2009, 11:44 AM
California really sucks, sorry, but it is true. This guy lost his brother and now he can't keep one of his possessions because he lives in Kalifornia. I have got to push my wife harder to leave this state before I go crazy.

When the next Federal ban hits I'm going to laugh at all of the people who gave up CA good weather so they could have detachable mags. :thumbsup:

GP3
01-29-2009, 11:47 AM
When the next Federal ban hits I'm going to laugh at all of the people who gave up CA good weather so they could have detachable mags. :thumbsup:

I won't. They'll move back. We don't need anymore people.

Dark&Good
01-29-2009, 1:01 PM
Be more productive instead.

Peter W Bush
02-03-2009, 3:22 PM
Your "friend" cant have that! he needs to legally dispose of it in the big hole in my back yard

Travis8128
02-03-2009, 3:33 PM

just tell him to load that thing and lock it in a safe never to see the light of day until the zombies come.;)

hitmeallday900
02-03-2009, 3:44 PM
Mysterious Man: Knock Knock Knock.
The OP: Who is it?
Its IGGY : Im here to discuss your pms,emails and recent photos sent from your phone.

OP: What did i do?

IGGY: We will discuss it over Chili Mac and Jello with Bubba and Nancy Pelosi...

Dark&Good
02-03-2009, 5:38 PM
Your "friend" cant have that! he needs to legally dispose of it in the big hole in my back yard

:rofl2:

IBUYGOLD
02-03-2009, 5:43 PM
**UPDATE**

My friend has kept the ammo, crushed the mags, and cut the gun into a lots of little pieces.

He says his freedoms shouldn't be this hard to enjoy

WOW.. was all that I could say

Thank for all the discussion.

drummerdude1188
02-03-2009, 8:22 PM
**UPDATE**

My friend has kept the ammo, crushed the mags, and cut the gun into a lots of little pieces.

He says his freedoms shouldn't be this hard to enjoy

WOW.. was all that I could say

Thank for all the discussion.

Now he doesnt get to enjoy them at all, that was pointless :rolleyes: